Mustang Evolution Forum banner

rough idle

15K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Marine8d 
#1 ·
So I have a 2012 v6 MT. Its got about 2600mi and recently, say within past 200mi I have noticed the idle is slightly rough. It drops about 100-200 rpms every few seconds for about a second... I don't know if this is something I should worry about or if I'm just being picky.. but I don't remember it doing this for the first 2500mi. What do you guys think?

#12 ·
Believe it or not the first few thousand on a motor is the worst miles ever put on a car. Coming from the factory everything is brand new and even though you dont need an extensive break-in there will be metal shavings in the engine and tiny pieces floating around from the wear patterns. Thats why its important to get that first oil change around 1500 miles. But no seafoam if only 2600 or so miles just some techron and youll be good. After wear patterns get worn in it will run smooth as silk!

#13 ·
I work with a guy that is a senior master tech at ford, he worked there for 22 yrs. he told me that many of the modular motors have a very similar thing that happen like that. He mentioned it when I was showing off my 11 gt. Nothing unusual and nothing to worry about. He said it just happens and no one knows why. Now I know that the 3.7 is a variation of the duratec, but I can see how it might happen to those motors too.

#15 ·
so I have noticed that I can trigger the exact idle tremble I was talking about by opening or closing the window.... soo it appears its caused by some device drawing extra power through the accessory belt. (I'm guessing when it does it and I'm not opening/closing window, it's the fan or something of the sort...)

#20 ·
I had a rough idle when I would fill up my mustang... I found out it was the return line that would get gas inside and would cause the idle go up and down not a big problem I just stopped filling up all the way up to stop the overkill of the return line

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#21 ·
My 14 GT just started doing it, it only has 2000 mi. The only Mod I got is a CAI no tune (I'm waiting for other mods and the warranty to expire) some times it gets as low as 100 RPM enough to make the car shake.
Now, it is a rainy and chilly day here, could the weather have anything to do with it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.