Newbie: Is this normal? (Finding first gear & backfiring) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Rim

Region: Virginia
Question Newbie: Is this normal? (Finding first gear & backfiring)

I've had my 2012 V6 Premium manual transmission for a month now (1,500+ miles) and there's a couple of things I've noticed which I'm not sure about.
  1. About a third of the time, when I shift into first gear, I would have to click it in twice (if that makes sense). Before I found that out, I thought I was in first gear after the first click, but it wasn't, as it popped out when I started driving. The rest of the time, I get to first gear on one click. I'm pushing the clutch all the way down. Btw, I've been driving stick for almost 25 years now so I'm not new at driving manual.
  2. Sometimes, when shifting from first to second, it sounds like it backfires or it's revving down hard. Occasionally, it happens from second to third gear, but its mostly from first to second. I've noticed this happens when I shift at a lower rpm, between 2500 and 3000 (because I'm trying not to kill my MPG like I did the first week I owned her). I'm just using 87 octane (because the manual says I can, and yes, I read the whole manual ). Should I try a tank of premium?

Is there something wrong with the car or is it me? Like I said, I've been driving stick for almost 25 years now but they've been on Japanese transmission (97 Toyota Celica and 90 Mitsubishi Mirage). So this is my first experience with a true sports car and an American transmission.

Rim
Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dealer time. Sounds broken to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sadly to say the transmission isn't from here. Built in china :/
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012
Sadly to say the transmission isn't from here. Built in china :/
I thought it was German.... Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

I thought it was German.... Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though lol
Its a german trans built in china.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Its a german trans built in china.
Gotcha, so we are both right, I just never knew it was built in china. It looks like America is not the only country outsourcing it's jobs...

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Newbie: Is this normal? (Finding first gear & backfiring)

If you youtube your issue there are alot of people with similar problems, check them out and compare to yours.

When buying my car i asked all the sales people about this and they all say "I've never heard of that issue" total b.s

As much as i hate iphones they sell in the millions and everyone who has one says they are so reliable and well made...but they're made in china? I guess the important thing is not where it is made but the engineering, production standards, and quality assurance.

Made in korea used to be a joke but now look at hyuindai/kia. I am proud my vin starts with a 1 though, it may not all be made in america but at least it was assembled there. I'm happy to support Americans, they are great people and do good work. Had these trannys be built in USA im sure the problem would be less common. No product has a 0% failure rate though.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'm having the sane problem w/ the tranny but I would try at least the middle grade gas for the backfire problem. See if that fixes it
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Are there moderators on these forums? We should start a sticky thread with all problems relating to the mt82 transmission, along with what ford is doing to help those with the issues. I hope I'm not part of the crowd with this issue ever but it is a possibility. There should be a way for everyone to join up as one group and maybe Ford will help out better and educate the dealers.

Just let me know before it hits the media like the toyota-stuck-in-go-and-i-dont-know-what-neutral-is hype, so i can sell my stock shares.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
Rim

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
If you youtube your issue there are alot of people with similar problems, check them out and compare to yours.
Thanks for that tip. I never even thought of searching on youtube but I definitely will.

Trying a higher octane gas isn't too big of a deal so I'll try that, too.

Thanks!

Rim
Rim is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang