mph in a 3.7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
mph in a 3.7

Ford must want to make ppl buy a tuner.... Only 117-118 mph when I have all that extra on the speedometer sucks!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Go speed racer!!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6
Ford must want to make ppl buy a tuner.... Only 117-118 mph when I have all that extra on the speedometer sucks!
If you feel the need to go faster (I know I do) then a tuner is about the only way to get it done. Just make sure that you have tires that can handle the speed

Part of the reason they do that is so they can put lower speed rated tires on a car. Lower cost for lower performance tires.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Re: mph in a 3.7

THERE'S A VID ON YOUTUBE WHERE A DUDE WITH A 3.7 runs it up too 130 mph and his driveshaft blows apart ..... so be careful
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
THERE'S A VID ON YOUTUBE WHERE A DUDE WITH A 3.7 runs it up too 130 mph and his driveshaft blows apart ..... so be careful
I'm convinced that something had been done with that car, like someone had to have had that DS out and not re torqued it correctly. Who knows though I guess
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
Omg!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Omg!
For less then $50 you can get a DS safety loop to prevent damage if it were to fail.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
For less then $50 you can get a DS safety loop to prevent damage if it were to fail.
+1
Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
That's what I'm getting on mine this coming up paycheck! Then saving up for a new ONE piece DS.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Perfect example

Even on the dyno!!!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

and this is y ford has the crappy warranties....

i swear, my heart droped when that driveshaft snapped...musta had my speakers up too loud..lol.

kinda defeats the purpose of buying a stang in the first place. i think i will stay in proven fox era stangs or buy a camaro...

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
you guys think ford would do something abkut it if we start complaing and taking them to the dealership?
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

First off these cars that are breaking are NOT under warranty. Dyno tune or hand held voids the warranty. These are the risks YOU assume when modding a car out of factory specs, simple as that.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
First off these cars that are breaking are NOT under warranty. Dyno tune or hand held voids the warranty. These are the risks YOU assume when modding a car out of factory specs, simple as that.
this is true... but tuners and snapp'n driveshafts are two differnt things....

so then it makes u ask.... wut other stuff did they "under-engineer" on the car.

if u "under-engineer" a simple drive shaft.... are there more complicated "under-engineered" issues....safety issues???

my firebirds and cameros all came with driveshaft loops and i had those puppies up to 140+..... u break a driveshaft at 130 wit no driveshaft loop on a stang...

ur not just riskn your life.. but anyone remotely close to u (ur vehicle) rather u r drag racing, road course, parkn lot slalom, or driving in an un-lawful manner on a public roadway.....

if u know the driveshafts r crap.... put a loop on them (from the factory)..y jeapordize someone's life.

im not yelln at anyone in particular.... but that video scared the crap outa me, and i been trained to drive in reverse at pretty high speeds.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 03-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Never herd of or seen one break at a speed or situation where the factory speed limiter was not bypassed. Meaning its my understanding that the ones I know of we're over the 118 factory limit. I personally won't consider them 'under engineered' until they start breaking regularly on stock applications, which has not happened that I know of. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Never herd of or seen one break at a speed or situation where the factory speed limiter was not bypassed. Meaning its my understanding that the ones I know of we're over the 118 factory limit. I personally won't consider them 'under engineered' until they start breaking regularly on stock applications, which has not happened that I know of. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.
I agree. But it still sucks. I wanna see over 130mph. Safely. But as mentioned, what else has a potential of breaking? They should have manufactured the car to handle more than stock being a muscle car. Jmo.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:

I agree. But it still sucks. I wanna see over 130mph. Safely. But as mentioned, what else has a potential of breaking? They should have manufactured the car to handle more than stock being a muscle car. Jmo.
I got up to 140 but I backed off. You just need to find and research the speed limiter from ford and avoid that speed by -20 mph to be safe.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

I too agree, just wanted to say its not fair to call it 'under engineered' when the stock configuration is perfectly safe.
Also I'd be inclined to add the loop when I started modding. Especially if I planned on bypassing factory speed limiter, that goes for any car IMO. The 6 is geared toward a different customer the GT, always has been and always will be, it's how the mustang has endured.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
u r absolutly correct on wut u r sayn.... but ford knows its a mustang, and wut the nature of ppl r.

im just lookn at it from a customer or potential customer stand point.

the mustang is the most modifed car in the world....

y put urself in a postion to lose a potential customer base by not implementing more safety (driveshaft loop) or a better driveshaft.

cause if someone gets hurt... noone is gonna care bout the 118 limit or wutever it is..

im just sayn... i love my mustang, im on my 5th one. but id be lieing to u if if i said that driveshaft video made me wanna reconsider purchasing a new stang.

i know, im not the only person that thinks this way.

especialy anyone that builds their motors, puts their own u joints in, etc.... u r lookn at that thinkn... r u fukn kiddn me???

moreover ppl that r less mechanicaly inclined.... cause all they see is a catostrophic failure in a late model stang.

who wants a stang that u gotta drive like a focus...come the fuk on yo...v6 or not.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:

I too agree, just wanted to say its not fair to call it 'under engineered' when the stock configuration is perfectly safe.
Also I'd be inclined to add the loop when I started modding. Especially if I planned on bypassing factory speed limiter, that goes for any car IMO. The 6 is geared toward a different customer the GT, always has been and always will be, it's how the mustang has endured.
Agreed.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
again, if ur gonna put a crappy driveshaft in it, put a effn loop in it. all my cameros and firebirds all had factory loops...

Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

u r absolutly correct on wut u r sayn.... but ford knows its a mustang, and wut the nature of ppl r.

im just lookn at it from a customer or potential customer stand point.

the mustang is the most modifed car in the world....

y put urself in a postion to lose a potential customer base by not implementing more safety (driveshaft loop) or a better driveshaft.

cause if someone gets hurt... noone is gonna care bout the 118 limit or wutever it is..

im just sayn... i love my mustang, im on my 5th one. but id be lieing to u if if i said that driveshaft video made me wanna reconsider purchasing a new stang.

i know, im not the only person that thinks this way.

especialy anyone that builds their motors, puts their own u joints in, etc.... u r lookn at that thinkn... r u fukn kiddn me???

moreover ppl that r less mechanicaly inclined.... cause all they see is a catostrophic failure in a late model stang.

who wants a stang that u gotta drive like a focus...come the fuk on yo...v6 or not.
Gotta agree here. Especially you go and make a 300+ HP V6. People are gonna push limits and see what it can do. They should be prepared for that.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

again, if ur gonna put a crappy driveshaft in it, put a effn loop in it. all my cameros and firebirds all had factory loops...
Your v6 commodes and fire chickens had loops? I don't know that any V8 mustangs have came with loops, why would they have a loop on the 6 and not the GT?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Your v6 commodes and fire chickens had loops? I don't know that any V8 mustangs have came with loops, why would they have a loop on the 6 and not the GT?
wutever dude... like i said, im not the only person to look at that and think wut im thinkn.

u say wut u want bout the "f bodies" but they came wit effn loops.. is all im sayn...

up to 155 (in mexico)i have not had a failure...

Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

wutever dude... like i said, im not the only person to look at that and think wut im thinkn.

u say wut u want bout the "f bodies" but they came wit effn loops.. is all im sayn...

up to 155 (in mexico)i have not had a failure...
Don't get upset. All I'm saying is there is no precedent for claiming they 'should' come with a loop.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #26
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Don't get upset. All I'm saying is there is no precedent for claiming they 'should' come with a loop.
ok, prolly true.... but if gm put in a loop in the 80's with a powerplant half as capable of todays cars

and like i said, from a customer stand point... all ur gonna c is da equipment failure.

half da warranty of other manufactures and equipment failures... thats wut a customer is lookn at.

we here are aware of mechanical limitations...

joe blow customer is only gonna see a equipment failure, not that they shouldnt drive over 118.

on top of that, it will make ppl think that stangs blow up past 118 (they will quickly lose focus over v6 versus v8, all stangs will get lumped together). obviously thats not the case....

but from a customer stand point, thats wut they see, thats wut will make them choose a camero... thats wut will make them choose a challenger.

and even though i build my own engines.... it makes me question the integrity of the rest of the car...118mph or not. v6 or not....

dont think of urself as a stanger when i make these statments....

think of urself as joe blow customer and ur 16yr old kid showed u that youtube video..and u r type of person who takes ur car to dealer to check oil, windshieled washer fluid, and air pressure.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:

Lol fire chicken I'm gonna have to use that one one day

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Since we are talking driveshafts I got a question... Can an aluminum driveshaft help this problem?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

Lol fire chicken I'm gonna have to use that one one day

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Since we are talking driveshafts I got a question... Can an aluminum driveshaft help this problem?
Yes because it's one piece not two, they use a two piece for ride quality.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yes because it's one piece not two, they use a two piece for ride quality.
Ok explain?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

The S197's have a two pice driveshaft.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
baam!
Pstang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I was on the fence about buying my car for almost a year becsuse of the manual transmission issues and driveshaft videos. I still am sort of unessy that i bought this car. I considered even buying a 2010 gt or even v6 becausw i figured the powertrain was more reliable.

I would agree that most people who have problems like these could ve modders and abusers...but stock vehicles should be able to handle some minor modifications. I bought my stang but i was considering a used lexus is350, an audi a4, or bmw 3.....all luxury sport cars....and ive bren driving an infiniti suv for 6 years. Ford is attracting NEW buyers, new people to the brand...but dumb things like this really are hurting them and their stock.

But 04trv6...are you on the track or something? I wont dare do more than 120km/h here (75mph) because you get a big ticket and if you get caught over 150kmh (93 mph) the police destroys your car...yep impounds it then crushes it.

We have helicopters and planes in the sky tracking speeders on the highway...no more speed traps..if you see a cop hes already looking for you. Take it easy speed kills.

And if you want to go really fast youll have to spend alot more than 30k. Bugattis go over 200mph....
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
I was on the fence about buying my car for almost a year becsuse of the manual transmission issues and driveshaft videos. I still am sort of unessy that i bought this car. I considered even buying a 2010 gt or even v6 becausw i figured the powertrain was more reliable.

I would agree that most people who have problems like these could ve modders and abusers...but stock vehicles should be able to handle some minor modifications. I bought my stang but i was considering a used lexus is350, an audi a4, or bmw 3.....all luxury sport cars....and ive bren driving an infiniti suv for 6 years. Ford is attracting NEW buyers, new people to the brand...but dumb things like this really are hurting them and their stock.

But 04trv6...are you on the track or something? I wont dare do more than 120km/h here (75mph) because you get a big ticket and if you get caught over 150kmh (93 mph) the police destroys your car...yep impounds it then crushes it.

We have helicopters and planes in the sky tracking speeders on the highway...no more speed traps..if you see a cop hes already looking for you. Take it easy speed kills.

And if you want to go really fast youll have to spend alot more than 30k. Bugattis go over 200mph....
speeding has become less and less socially acceptable in recent years, 70mph is the highest speed limit in NC that I know of.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

speeding has become less and less socially acceptable in recent years, 70mph is the highest speed limit in NC that I know of.
Lol. Over here in south Texas they just raised the speed limit to 75-80!!!!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012

Lol. Over here in south Texas they just raised the speed limit to 75-80!!!!
It's 65-70 on my way to work. I rarely pass 65 because my mpg changes @ 2k and up lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang