Headers for 2012 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Headers for 2012 V6

Hey all,

I have a few questions about mods to my 2012 V6. I'm still overseas in South Korea, but the car has already been built by Ford and is being stored at the dealership I chose for delivery in South Carolina. I'll be back in July and have already started thinking about what I want to do to the car! So far, the first two things I want to do (performance-wise) when I get my hands on her are to add a Magnaflow Street Series axle-back exhaust and an Airaid Cold Air Intake.

I've started to look into long tube headers, specifically BBK. Now, for the 12' V6 they offer a ceramic and a chrome header. What is the difference between the two and what are the pros/cons? Also, will I need to do any other modifications to the exhaust heading back from these headers? If so, what parts will I need? How is the install on these headers? Something I could potentially do on my own?

Thanks for the help in advance! I'd love to get insight/reviews on the combination of an after market exhaust with the new headers and how it changes the sound on these cars. Those street series axle backs sound fantastic!

-Jordan
USAF2754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Headers for 2012 V6

Also thought I'd throw a picture up that I had the dealer rep take of the car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-28_08-22-07_697.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	43993  
Old 03-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF2754
Hey all,

I have a few questions about mods to my 2012 V6. I'm still overseas in South Korea, but the car has already been built by Ford and is being stored at the dealership I chose for delivery in South Carolina. I'll be back in July and have already started thinking about what I want to do to the car! So far, the first two things I want to do (performance-wise) when I get my hands on her are to add a Magnaflow Street Series axle-back exhaust and an Airaid Cold Air Intake.

I've started to look into long tube headers, specifically BBK. Now, for the 12' V6 they offer a ceramic and a chrome header. What is the difference between the two and what are the pros/cons? Also, will I need to do any other modifications to the exhaust heading back from these headers? If so, what parts will I need? How is the install on these headers? Something I could potentially do on my own?

Thanks for the help in advance! I'd love to get insight/reviews on the combination of an after market exhaust with the new headers and how it changes the sound on these cars. Those street series axle backs sound fantastic!

-Jordan
Congrats in getting the car! And thank you for serving!

The headers are a great buy. I'm saving up to get some. The difference between the two types is that the chrome is for show mainly. More BAM! When you open the hood. But they are still nice. Cons about them is they produce more heat. The ceramic headers are coated so look a lil dull BUT they hold In heat and push it out the pipes. But in order to get them you will need the BBK shorty xpipe. It would be best to get the catted xpipe. The offroad makes it sound a lil to raspy and for a DD it would be to loud. Also you would need a custom tuner and tune from AMERICAN MUSCLE to take the full potential of your car into account. (remind you once you tune your warranty will be voided) There is a link on YouTube that shows a guy installing them in his garage. All you would need is a extra hand I believe.

This is the link to the BBK Headers sound and some of the install.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bDAHDHUjHUw

Hope this helped you out a lil more!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Are you positive you need the xpipe? Also, can you install the xpipe WITHOUT the bbk headers?

2012, Performance Package, C&L CAI, Magnaflow catbacks, Katzkin Cream leather interior
Mayhem48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem48
Are you positive you need the xpipe?
Yes, you'll need the shorty x-pipe. Long tubes are longer then stock manifolds, hence the the name long tubes
Ap0cLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Longer headers equal shorter x pipe....makes perfect sense!

2012, Performance Package, C&L CAI, Magnaflow catbacks, Katzkin Cream leather interior
Old 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Longer headers equal shorter x pipe....makes perfect sense!
Sure does! Also i know lethal performance has an x-pipe that links up to the stock manifolds. It's off-road though.. And I believe its MRT that has an H-Pipe both catted and off-road I think. I've been thinking about it too

Correction, just checked MRT's site and I only saw a catted H
Old 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What's the difference between the x and h?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's the difference between the x and h?
From my understanding (and someone correct me if they know better) X will give you that more raspier higher pitched sound and giving slightly better top end. And the H will give you a deeper tone and help out the low end.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the response. Will any of these three mods void any part of my warranty? Also, what can I expect as far as increases in hp and torque from adding the exhaust, CAI, and headers?

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

And why are the catted x pipes so much more expensive then the off road ones?! It's a difference of almost $300. I'm really after an exhaust sound similar to the V8. I want my car to be noticed and heard, but I don't want it to be overly loud or annoying in the cabin during daily driving.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Will any of these three mods void any part of my warranty? Also, what can I expect as far as increases in hp and torque from adding the exhaust, CAI, and headers?

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

And why are the catted x pipes so much more expensive then the off road ones?! It's a difference of almost $300. I'm really after an exhaust sound similar to the V8. I want my car to be noticed and heard, but I don't want it to be overly loud or annoying in the cabin during daily driving.
Catted pipes keeps your car street legal so you don't fail inspection. You'll see a little more power with all those mods done. As far as warranty.. Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong but adding the longtubes or offroad pipes require a tune which will void the warranty. But if you don't need a tune then I'm not sure?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I've actually read a few sites that say running new headers without a tune would cause damage to the engine, so that is definitely something I need insight on. Why is it about a tune that makes Ford void the warranty? I definitely dont want to lose the factory warranty...just can't afford to take that chance!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #13

Region: Texas

That is one nice looking car there USAF!! Bet you can't wait to get hold of her!!
RascalRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've actually read a few sites that say running new headers without a tune would cause damage to the engine, so that is definitely something I need insight on. Why is it about a tune that makes Ford void the warranty? I definitely dont want to lose the factory warranty...just can't afford to take that chance!
An aftermarket tune could damage the engine so ford isn't going to be responsible for changing factory specs. The tune from factory is made for the car as is. If I were you I'd just go for axle-backs. I've got Magnaflow axle-backs and they're pretty loud! You won't be disappointed.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Also, glad to see a fellow AF guy on here
Old 03-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Makes sense! I think I'll probably just go with the exhaust and intake for now. And maybe some window louvers and side scoops

Lol it's a small force. Where are you stationed? I've got 4 months left here at Osan and then I'm headed to charleston.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Makes sense! I think I'll probably just go with the exhaust and intake for now. And maybe some window louvers and side scoops

Lol it's a small force. Where are you stationed? I've got 4 months left here at Osan and then I'm headed to charleston.
I'm in the guard out in NY. I knew some people that have been to Osan. Have fun? How long have you been out there? Sucks you still got 4 months to wait for your stang. I ordered mine in November while I was overseas. Got back in December and it was ready in January. Think I'd go crazy if I had to wait any longer lol.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Keep in mind that many intakes will also require a tune so if you do not want to do a tune then make sure you get something that does not require it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I've been here 8 months. I'm Security Forces so I'm not sure how much fun we can really have here lol. We're actually in an exercise right now and I will not miss these one bit. I'm ready to be back in the states. The wait is killing me! Especially since she's just sitting waiting for me to pick her up. I've got quite a few things I'll do as soon as I take delivery and I'm really excited.

I'll definitely keep that in mind about the intake. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been here 8 months. I'm Security Forces so I'm not sure how much fun we can really have here lol. We're actually in an exercise right now and I will not miss these one bit. I'm ready to be back in the states. The wait is killing me! Especially since she's just sitting waiting for me to pick her up. I've got quite a few things I'll do as soon as I take delivery and I'm really excited.

I'll definitely keep that in mind about the intake. Thanks!
So a fellow SF guy too.. Yeah your not having that much fun lol. But you get to go off base at least right?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Haha well then you know exactly what I'm talking about. We do but we have a curfew. 0100 to 0500 everyday. Alcohol is a huge issue here for a lot of people so on Friday and Saturday nights we stay pretty busy
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Georgia
ADDING A TUNE WILL NOT VOID THE WARRANTY! It is impossible for the dealer to tell that you have a tune if you return it back to stock and drive 50 miles before going to the dealer. It just looks like the battery was disconnected. I have confirmed this with ford techs. The only way for your warranty to get denied is if they send your ecu off to a ford engineer for investigation and that is highly unlikely unless you blow your engine completely. The TSB is for the 5.0's only.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

I recommend bama tunes. They actually make your trans last longer if you have an auto. The way the shiftd are cushioned from the factory is horrible for the trans. It deprives the clutch packs of trans fluid. People are out their with over 100k on bama tunes. They are so confident in their tunes they warranty them so if something fails due to the tune they will cover it. Its about time we have some peace of mind with a tune!
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know if I can do the headers without a tune? The airaid CAI I want to add does not need a tune and I'd like to do the headers, but not if I absolutely need the tune to do them. And just to clarify, the X pipe will give a raspier tone, while the H will give a deeper one, correct?
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does anyone know if I can do the headers without a tune? The airaid CAI I want to add does not need a tune and I'd like to do the headers, but not if I absolutely need the tune to do them. And just to clarify, the X pipe will give a raspier tone, while the H will give a deeper one, correct?
Just curious, why wouldn't you want a tune? It'll give you max performance from your mods. Think you lose some bottom end with LT's which our cars already lack.. and w/o a supercharger the headers are pretty pointless. The stock manifold are fine. But yes H=deep X=that higher pitch tone

I will be getting hi-flow cats and a custom mid pipe (Not sure X or H yet) and over axle pipes to my axle-backs. I'll let you know if I see much of a difference with sound or performance. Should be getting it done within a week
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well, running the risk of having my warranty voided by Ford really concerns me. I'd love to get one, but trying to fight Ford probably wouldn't end well lol
Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You should just go with a new mid pipe. Lethal makes an off road h and x. And mrt has a Catted H. You have axle-backs or a cat back now?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

And you looking for more performance or more toward sound purposes?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Everything on the car right now is stock. Once I get back to the states, I'm going to put the Magnaflow Street axle backs on. I'm really going for a combinaton of sound and performance.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if the warranty concerns you I would not put headers on it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Everything on the car right now is stock. Once I get back to the states, I'm going to put the Magnaflow Street axle backs on. I'm really going for a combinaton of sound and performance.
Oh that's right forgot you weren't back yet. If I remember SF right? And I got the Magnaflow competition axle-backs and love em'! They are definitely pretty loud and sound really nice.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Oh that's right forgot you weren't back yet. If I remember SF right? And I got the Magnaflow competition axle-backs and love em'! They are definitely pretty loud and sound really nice.
Yessir still have about 3 months! Seems like it's passing so slow too. The competition series are a muffler delete aren't they?? Do you get a lot of the popping when accelerating?

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if the warranty concerns you I would not put headers on it
Could the headers potentially void the warranty?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Mine have mufflers. It's the quad tip version so maybe it's different? Not sure about the single tip version if they have mufflers.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Checking on AM, the pic shows the single tip axle-backs without a muffler which is weird because my quad competitions do. It also shows the competition catback with mufflers. Not sure why the standard comp axle-backs are muffler deletes?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Headers are pointless if thats one of your only mods.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

According to BBK, their long tube headers don't require a tune if you use the catted X-pipe. Whether you change the headers or not, if you change to an offroad mid-pipe, X or H, you will need a tune to turn off the error that will show in the computer because of the lack of cats.

There are a couple of other companies that are now offering long tube headers for the 3.7, so BBK isn't your only option.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Just get a bama tune. Best mod ever.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991

will you post a pic of the quad tip mufflers. never seen them on a new stang.
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
will you post a pic of the quad tip mufflers. never seen them on a mew stang.
here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2969904917.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	46127   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1009151307.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	46128  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 v6