Steeda or Air Raid? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Steeda or Air Raid?

Is the Steeda CAI that much better than the Air Raid? (I have narrowed it down to these 2) I found the Steeda for $370 with free shipping so I am considering that option. Or is it not worth the extra $100? I figure even if I get +2 more hp its worth it to me. I feel more confident in its abilities with such a large cone.
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAP12589
Is the Steeda CAI that much better than the Air Raid? (I have narrowed it down to these 2) I found the Steeda for $370 with free shipping so I am considering that option. Or is it not worth the extra $100? I figure even if I get +2 more hp its worth it to me. I feel more confident in its abilities with such a large cone.
Your paying extra for the Steeda name but the 3 CAI are basically identical in term of HP gains. If you plan to tune the car afterwards then your increase will be significant. I've got the K&N CAI which does my Termi just fine.
SNK3BTE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
You really gotta invest in a tune with what ever CAI you go with. I like Steeda but on my GT. Idk what kind of gains you'd be looking at for the V6.

Personally, I'd open up the exhaust first. Have you done anything to that yet?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
All CAI's work the same.. but you'll need a tune to get max gains. Just remember it'll void the warranty....
Ap0cLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Steeda or Air Raid?

OK so I have no performance upgrades done yet. What my plan is, is to just get a CAI for now and wait to upgrade things that will void my warranty til its up. I will then most likely get an exhaust and tune, and not sure after that. But for the time between now and then, I am going to work on some subtle visual enhancements such as hood struts and blacking out a few things.

In terms of the CAI, I feel like the Steeda would best the Air Raid for two reasons: 1. the bends in the tubing are much shallower than the AirRaid's and 2. The filter cone has what appears to be waaaay more surface area. Both these should make for better air flow, so I would think the Steeda could have potential for most power gains especially after the tune.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just built my "temporary" CAI yesterday for $30!
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonboy09
I just built my "temporary" CAI yesterday for $30!
Pics? I'd like to see how that turned out.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Pics? I'd like to see how that turned out.
Yeah! Sure thing when I get off at noon I will take some and post...used a crappy specter filter... but like I said its temp! I had a guy ride with me not telling him about the CAI and he asked me what I had done to it so there are decimated gains!

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
You really gotta invest in a tune with what ever CAI you go with. I like Steeda but on my GT. Idk what kind of gains you'd be looking at for the V6.

Personally, I'd open up the exhaust first. Have you done anything to that yet?
W/ the GT yes... exhaust first. But with these new sixxers you can't mess with the exhaust without losing your torque band. You have to get more air into the engine first then allow more air to exit. Its that whole back pressure thing. Its a little backwards of what we have all been taught
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry guys I forgot to take pictures! But I did do more testing. I think the computer is dialed in now. I swear on the holy bible I am not lying about these results! At 50mph on a back road with curves dips and dives, for 20 miles I got 44.7 MPG! I swear I'm not making this up! I WILL get pictures tomorrow! If I can remember to take the pic b4 the car starts I will b/c my drive to work is stop and go traffic
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

OK here is the proof... I did forget to take pics until I actually got to work so this is combined driving... still not too shabby for a $30 job if you ask me! Just out of curiosity, the people who bought the $200 kits did you see gains like this? I cannot believe the results myself!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120320_040449.png
Views:	496
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	44348

I will add pics of the actual CAI when the sun comes up
Old 03-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ummmm how the eff? I'm getting like 22.1 avg all stock
Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Cold air will help with gas mileage! IF you drive it nice lol. It is so tempting to mash the peddle and go now b/c it has actually made the exhaust note deeper! But I resist and drive like a grandma!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Oh also sorry for hijacking your feed nick! Lol
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Haha its all good

Ya I think I'm just gonna go with the Steeda
And I don't believe the exhaust sound is effected, its the fact that the resonator on the stock intake is removed, and of course the whoosh sound you get

I drive her pretty easy... I mean every now and then i wanna feel the power but not too often. I blame all the TERRIBLE drivers in Maryland.... Stomping on their breaks for no reason
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha its all good

And I don't believe the exhaust sound is effected, its the fact that the resonator on the stock intake is removed, and of course the whoosh sound you get

I drive her pretty easy... I mean every now and then i wanna feel the power but not too often. I blame all the TERRIBLE drivers in Maryland.... Stomping on their breaks for no reason
Just meep in mind the steeda CAI requires a tune, which will void your warranty.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha its all good

See here in mid Missouri we have nice curvy winding roads we can go play on! Lol and I've lived here all my life so i know which ones get patrolled and when
Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ya i forgot about it needing a tune.... Hmm I wonder why it's necessary... I mean I understand it will benefit most with one.. But all it is is more airflow, same as other intakes.. Wider tubing and more passive filter.
What's the worst that could happen with no tune?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh ya i forgot about it needing a tune.... Hmm I wonder why it's necessary... I mean I understand it will benefit most with one.. But all it is is more airflow, same as other intakes.. Wider tubing and more passive filter.
What's the worst that could happen with no tune?
Not sure why.. but any CAI you get will add about the same amount of power give or take like 1hp not enough to notice any difference between them.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Go too big on the airflow and the computer will not be able to recalibrate. These are the intakes that require a reflash w/ a handheld tuner. But if you are like me you can get a regular cone filter that puts more air into the engine, but the computer will "learn" how to deal with the increase of airflow
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have a jlt intake, it dint require a tune and it was 340 bucks and i love it give the engine more of a rumble when u get on it and i personally love the whistling sound of the air being sucked in
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonboy09 View Post
Go too big on the airflow and the computer will not be able to recalibrate. These are the intakes that require a reflash w/ a handheld tuner. But if you are like me you can get a regular cone filter that puts more air into the engine, but the computer will "learn" how to deal with the increase of airflow
ok, so if the stock tune just can't handle the recalibration needed for that amount of airflow that the Steeda provides, then that makes sense to me. The problem then for me is that I want to get the most power I can after the tune, which leads me to the Steeda, but.. I refuse to retune until the warranty is up..

So I guess the best option for me is the Air Raid and then tune after warranty is up or possibly upgrade to Steeda and tune at that point

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Quote:
OK here is the proof... I did forget to take pics until I actually got to work so this is combined driving... still not too shabby for a $30 job if you ask me! Just out of curiosity, the people who bought the $200 kits did you see gains like this? I cannot believe the results myself!

Attachment 44348

I will add pics of the actual CAI when the sun comes up

Still looking forward to those pics of the homemade CAI
Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry guys today was ****! Got in a fender bender and honestly forgot about my new CAI until just now! WORST DAY EVER!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry guys today was ****! Got in a fender bender and honestly forgot about my new CAI until just now! WORST DAY EVER!
Man that sux!!! How bad?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Hmph...I dont even have my car yet...and I already bought the Airaid set up for my 2013 V6......best reviews I had seen on that product
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #24

Region: Louisiana
The Airaid CAI is a superb piece. The fit and finish is amazing and due to the whole intake being plastic, the intake charge temps are not as affected by heat soak. Metal intakes tend to heat the air charge more as you drive longer. This can defeat the entire purpose of having a CAI system. Here is a link to the installation article of the Airaid kit to show the quality, fit, and finish of the product.

http://v6mustangperformance.com/modi...thamax-filter/
srouxd162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom
Hmph...I dont even have my car yet...and I already bought the Airaid set up for my 2013 V6......best reviews I had seen on that product
Hey is there any difference to the car in way of performance for the 2013 V6? (I know there is for the V8). Or is it mostly cosmetic?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #26

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAP12589 View Post
Hey is there any difference to the car in way of performance for the 2013 V6? (I know there is for the V8). Or is it mostly cosmetic?
There are no engine changes for the 2013 V6.
srouxd162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Couple of thoughts here:

1. Tune won't "void" your warranty; it could just be grounds for denying a claim that is deemed to be affected by the tune. Likely, a case could be made for any powertrain component but more reasonably any engine component as it is now operating outside the original engineering specs.

2. A CAI will put you in EXACTLY the same gray area as the tune. It really only differs based on how much you think the tune COULD potentially damage your engine vs the CAI. In the eyes of Ford, you've still made a change and could be on the hook for anything that Ford determines resulted from a non-stock air intake.

3. Steeda presumably requires a tune because it provides, as another poster indicated, that much more air flow than the stock parameters can handle. You're still limited by your throttle body though; so, I'm not sure how much functional difference it makes.

4. The bends in the tubing are a bit ridiculous to me. Which do you think is more restrictive, the cone itself or the tubing?

5. With respect to the exhaust question, I'll ask the same question: Which provides more resistance, the stock muffler or the cats?

6. CAI is really more of a psychological gain, IMO. Sure, it might give you a few HP or a few MPG, but by itself it's not that groundbreaking.

7. Don't waste your money on a CAI without a tune.

8. If you want to preserve your warranty no questions asked, don't change a thing!

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I want a cai now, and will get a tune later. So it's not a waste... Just delayed tune. And it's easier to swap back to the stock intake and most likely unnoticeable rather than dealing with trying to return back to stock tune unnoticed.
Agreed the filter is gonna be more restrictive than bends but it's still a variable in the equation. It's physics. And have you seen the size of the surface area of the filter on the Steeda? The metal tube vs plastic concerns me also for heat transfer, but ya. I know I'm picky, but i want to make sure I'm happy with it in the long run.
I'm sure I'll be happy with both CAI's but i like to know I have made the best choice for future mods as well
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

OK guys I thank you all for being patient! Lol. Before you chew my *** up one side and down the other for doing this to my car remember a few things: 1) this is exactly the same thing that a CAI kit does for your own car, just A LOT cheaper. This project only cost $30! 2) this is only temporary until I have enough money to buy an actual kit. 3) I'm getting 38 MPG on the hi way. 4) its MY car, not yours! Lol not trying to sound like an *** just haven't had the best week and some of you guys asked to see what I had done. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120321_194732.png
Views:	398
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	44558   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120321_194758.png
Views:	402
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	44560  

Old 03-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want a cai now, and will get a tune later. So it's not a waste... Just delayed tune. And it's easier to swap back to the stock intake and most likely unnoticeable rather than dealing with trying to return back to stock tune unnoticed.
Agreed the filter is gonna be more restrictive than bends but it's still a variable in the equation. It's physics. And have you seen the size of the surface area of the filter on the Steeda? The metal tube vs plastic concerns me also for heat transfer, but ya. I know I'm picky, but i want to make sure I'm happy with it in the long run.
I'm sure I'll be happy with both CAI's but i like to know I have made the best choice for future mods as well
The physics part that is relevant is "negligible difference." Trust me, I considered Steeda at first too, but the value wasn't there. Just compare the numbers.

In the end though, it's your money. If buying a Steeda CAI makes you happy, go for it.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Quote:
OK guys I thank you all for being patient! Lol. Before you chew my *** up one side and down the other for doing this to my car remember a few things: 1) this is exactly the same thing that a CAI kit does for your own car, just A LOT cheaper. This project only cost $30! 2) this is only temporary until I have enough money to buy an actual kit. 3) I'm getting 38 MPG on the hi way. 4) its MY car, not yours! Lol not trying to sound like an *** just haven't had the best week and some of you guys asked to see what I had done. Enjoy!
It doesn't look bad, and how often are you showing off under the hood anyhow? Yours is a one of a kind!

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005 View Post
The physics part that is relevant is "negligible difference." Trust me, I considered Steeda at first too, but the value wasn't there. Just compare the numbers.

In the end though, it's your money. If buying a Steeda CAI makes you happy, go for it.
Ya your prolly right, I'll most likely end up getting the Air Raid in the end anyway less to be concerned with

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote:
is the only difference the cone filter?
I'm surprised if thats making THAT much of a mpg diff (38mpg)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya your prolly right, I'll most likely end up getting the Air Raid in the end anyway less to be concerned with

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

is the only difference the cone filter?
I'm surprised if thats making THAT much of a mpg diff (38mpg)
Yeah! Dead serious! Like a heart attack! The metal tube in between the filter and stock tube is new but yeah I pretty much slapped that on the end of the tube and was done!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I am curious about those gains as well. What were averaging before the CAI? I remember before I changed the gears, tuned, and added a CAI, I was getting around 31 or so on the highway going 60mph. After my mods, I am averaging about 24-25 on the highway.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

On the highway I was getting around 29-30, in town I was getting about 20. Now, like I said I'm getting 38 high, 25 city
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Is this normal for the cai to make that kind of mpg increase?? I am expecting MAYBE +1mpg

I do think understand why the companies don't just put in a nice CAI to begin with if it improves power and mpgs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang