Should I get a V6 or V8 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Should I get a V6 or V8 Mustang?

Hello I'm new to the forum and have a very limited knowledge of cars but have a growing love for American muscle cars and love Mustangs. I don't really know if this part of the forum is the correct place to ask this but. I was wanting to buy a Mustang this summer around July. I was thinking of getting a convertible mustang but am not sure whether to get a v6 or v8 mustang. Is there a huge difference in the experience in driving? I mean the gas mileage is basically a 4 mile difference. (v8 I believe is 15 city and v6 is 19 city) I mean as an everyday driver I love attitude and power but like I'm just sort of torn. Is the v6's 305 horses enough for a leisurely drive up and down Florida's coast? I've read that a more than a few enthusiasts seem to think a mustang that isn't a v8 isn't a mustang. I'm 20 years of age and am looking for an incredible car. It'll be my third car and my first one that I'll be getting on my own. I apologise for any errors in this post I'm currently at work and posting this on my iPhone.
Thefitnesskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
It's all about what you want from the car,305hp is plenty of power for a everyday cruiser,on the otherhand the new v8 5.0 is a monster and has more power than you would ever need driving in the city, if you want the maximum speed/performance the v8 is the way to go. There are pros and cons about both. Example the v6 is cheaper for the car, insurance,and gas. The v8 is just on a whole different level. You need to ask what your going to use these cars features in everyday living most for, test drive them both you have plenty of time until July to make your decision.

Hope this helps! I guarantee you whatever one you chose you will not be disappointed.
Davey4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Should I get a V6 or V8 Mustang?

i picked up a 2012 v6 last week, its a higher rpm car for sure has lower power levels below 3k rpms. it gets good mileage but the 5.0 nearly gets as good (peak)

this week driving probably 50/50 city/interstate I am averaging 23.x mpg~

A well optioned v6 will be as much as a base gt though
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

If you want a "fast car", V8... if you want an affordable car to cruise in, v6... I bought a V6 because I couldn't turn down a $3k mustang... and I hated it at first... slow, handled poorly... but after diving into it and gettin gsome good mods installed, I love the car now! I still get about 30 mpgs on the hwy, but now it's not getting beat by Honda Civics anymore, lol
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the 2011 + v6's are very surprising in the power department at 305hp they move out pretty good considering~ but I would rather have a V8 if I had the choice.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
V8's are absolutely unreasonable. There is no need for 412 hp, you spend more in gas and it'll be easier to get in trouble with the law. Not only that but they can very quickly cost alot more. They also cost more to mod and insurance rates are higher. But D*MN do I Love every second of owning and driving mine!!!!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
V8's are absolutely unreasonable. There is no need for 412 hp, you spend more in gas and it'll be easier to get in trouble with the law. Not only that but they can very quickly cost alot more. They also cost more to mod and insurance rates are higher. But D*MN do I Love every second of owning and driving mine!!!!!
This made me laugh.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Lol when I read the first sentence of your post I was like wait a minute!, you got a 5.0!lol thought that was funny
Davey4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I've got the Premium 2012 V6. I could've bought a base GT but I prefer all my interior luxuries, and all the mods I was able to do. The V6 has plenty of power. Pretty close to the power a 2010 GT was putting down. It's really a great car for the price. But, if I could have afforded a premium GT, I wouldn't even have to think about it.
Ap0cLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0cLFC View Post
I've got the Premium 2012 V6. I could've bought a base GT but I prefer all my interior luxuries, and all the mods I was able to do. The V6 has plenty of power. Pretty close to the power a 2010 GT was putting down. It's really a great car for the price. But, if I could have afforded a premium GT, I wouldn't even have to think about it.
Same here it was the insurance that got me but I love my v6
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yepeveryone here has great points.your young though maybe stick to the v6 for ur first stang. Thats what i did. Youll save some money on sticker price and insurance. I hear alot about gas mileage not being much different. I love the sound of my v6 but nothing beats the sound of a 5.0. At least for american engines. My favorite comment from a friend who was checking out my car....."your missing something though...two cylinders" LOL hes a mopar guy
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I thought about the GT and very nearly bought one, but bet on the V6 Performance Package being a better value for me, ordering my 2012 last March. Turned out I was right, because my biggest issue with the V6 was the softer suspension. Then autocrossed it in the rain a couple sundays ago and was less than a second behind a far more powerful (and expensive) Challenger SRT8 -- we both turned in best times of 41 seconds and change. I love it on the road and, so far, the "track" too! Might wish for the GT when I start doing track days, but I'm also dating someone an hour away and don't mind the better mileage these days. Either car simply gobbles up the miles on road trips, BTW.

Ultimately you have plenty of options for both cars and the V6 Premium with the PP is around the same price as the base GT if I remember correctly. GT has more hop-up options and a much better top speed FWIW.

Performance Package disclaimer: Budget a grand for new tires in half a year or so, 'cause it comes with max performance summers. Much like the Brembo Package on the GTs.
CurbRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I got a premium 12 v6 and let me tell u 305 hp is more than enough. It feels very fast but I've never driven the 5.0 so I can't imagine how it feels lol. I'm also 20 years old, when I get older I'm definitely buying a v8. But for now v6 is soooo awesome
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to SoCalKev
Truth be told I have myself a sixer because gas is just unbearable here in California I love my car and do not regret getting it.
I got a sixer for many reasons speed isn't one of them but it sure can pull.
A little bit of work can make any car fly
SoCalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #15

Region: Connecticut

I have the new v6 (3.7), so much improved from the 4.0. I was contemplating the GT till I drove this one. It's all I need - plenty of performance with great MPGs.
stephenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKev View Post
Truth be told I have myself a sixer because gas is just unbearable here in California I love my car and do not regret getting it.
I got a sixer for many reasons speed isn't one of them but it sure can pull.
A little bit of work can make any car fly
Amen to that, I'm in Sacramento and gas is 4.21 at CostCo.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Amen to that, I'm in Sacramento and gas is 4.21 at CostCo.
Do you have a stang now?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I never even considered a V6 until the 2011s. I ended up going that route and got a loaded premium vs a base GT. if I had more disposable income, I definitely would've gotten a V8, but as long as you're just looking for a great looking car that is fun as hell to drive, the V6 does the job. If you're going to tie your self-esteem to your number of cylinders, get the V8.

Or if you have plenty of money and don't mind the extra insurance costs and such Both models are a blast.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005
I never even considered a V6 until the 2011s. I ended up going that route and got a loaded premium vs a base GT. if I had more disposable income, I definitely would've gotten a V8, but as long as you're just looking for a great looking car that is fun as hell to drive, the V6 does the job. If you're going to tie your self-esteem to your number of cylinders, get the V8.

Or if you have plenty of money and don't mind the extra insurance costs and such Both models are a blast.
My self-esteem is completely wrapped in cylinders lol, I would buy the V27 if they had one!!!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Just get the GT.

Every time a GT is sold, a demon is released from purgatory. Just sayin...
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My self-esteem is completely wrapped in cylinders lol, I would buy the V27 if they had one!!!!
V...27...something is wrong there lol
Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods

V...27...something is wrong there lol
Yea lol, I did it for the sake of ridiculousness haha

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: Pennsylvania
You could also get a 05-09 gt for the same price or even less than a 2011-12 v6 around same horsepower but I think the gt has a bunch more torque. Just enough horsepower to gallop but not unreal like the 5.0 (which I'd LOVE to have). You can get an 09 with 10k-50k miles on it for under 23,000. Think what's more realistic to you and your lifestyle though. Don't let the wants overcome the realism
Americanrwb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Not to be a prick but you cant have an odd number of cylinders in a v configuration, there would be an imbalance. It would have to be an inline config. Elephant in the room just figured id point out lol
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
Not to be a prick but you cant have an odd number of cylinders in a v configuration, there would be an imbalance. It would have to be an inline config. Elephant in the room just figured id point out lol
This is why I said something was wrong, which is why he said he said that to be ridiculous. haha
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

It was a joke........ I think the real elephant would have been the high number of cylinders in a passenger vehicle anyways. To my knowledge 16 is the most anyways.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I'm gonna custom build a V33.5 cylinder engine for my Reliant Robin. It's only got three wheels! How's that for balance? Plus the 17 cylinders on the driver side will be installed on a Tuesday, at dawn, which everyone knows will make them lighter and the 16.5 cylinders on the passenger side will be installed on new years day after a heavy night of drinking thus balancing the centrifugal weight. I've done the math and my logic is undeniable.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
I'm gonna custom build a V33.5 cylinder engine for my Reliant Robin. It's only got three wheels! How's that for balance? Plus the 17 cylinders on the driver side will be installed on a Tuesday, at dawn, which everyone knows will make them lighter and the 16.5 cylinders on the passenger side will be installed on new years day after a heavy night of drinking thus balancing the centrifugal weight. I've done the math and my logic is undeniable.
Lmfao I just screen capped that!

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKev

Lmfao I just screen capped that!
We're still using diesel right?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
make sure you plastidip afterwards so that the centrifugal half will dominate the downflux created by the flux capacitor at mach jesus god speed. wouldnt want you to blow a wheel gasket bearing in your 17 cylinder side and start leaking exhaust fluid
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Mach Jesus Godspeed FTW!!! LMAO!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's a real affliction. I know some people who could NOT be happy if their muscle car were anything less than 8 cylinders. For all those people, the extra money is absolutely worth it.

When you build your V1,000,000, post pics!

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

It's a real affliction. I know some people who could NOT be happy if their muscle car were anything less than 8 cylinders. For all those people, the extra money is absolutely worth it.

When you build your V1,000,000, post pics!
In all sincerity, I have nothing against V6 owners and applaud them for being logical. I am generally very mature and rational... My weakness is mustangs though lol. Gotta have my V8 (not talking about the vegetable juice either lol).

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #33
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

In all sincerity, I have nothing against V6 owners and applaud them for being logical. I am generally very mature and rational... My weakness is mustangs though lol. Gotta have my V8 (not talking about the vegetable juice either lol).
A friend of mine got a 2012 Grabber V6 premium. I bopped him on the head and said, you coulda had a V8! Lol
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

This is how I see it. Only reason I would buy another v6 mustang is because it's cheap, looks cool and gas mileage. But the sound of a ford v8 is incredible And so many more parts are made for the mustang gt. My next car is definitely a gt or cobra
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Road Trip!

Buy a v6 and hide a bose speaker under the trunk that simulates a shelby when you gas it! Lol In all seriousness though is about 110-115 hp worth the extra cost? I say no way the v6 sounds like a nissan VQ. Sexier than a pornstar in the shower!
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang