Tuning wont void a 3.7 warranty! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Georgia
Tuning wont void a 3.7 warranty!

The ecu in the 3.7 is different from the 5.0. Ford issued a tsb concerning the 5.0 not the 3.7. A dealer cannot tell you have had a tune if you flash your car back to stock and drive 50 miles. This has been confirmed with several ford techs. It just looks like your battery has been disconnected. The only way they would know is if they sent your ecu off to ford engineering and that is highly unlikely with the 3.7. Way more common with the 5.0's and they have a copperhead ecu as well. Bama warranties their tunes too if you want extra piece of mind. People have been running bama tunes for over 100k. All this hype your hearing is just people worried about their new ride which is highly understandable though. If anyone has had actual trouble please please post up to let us know. I havent heard of one single problem that has caused issues on the 3.7 with a tune. Thoughts comments and stories if you got em' please.
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I've been thinking lately of doing whatever I want to my car and just say fu*k the warranty! You only live once!
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Amen! But at the same time i would only do mods that i could remove in about 20 mins unlike gears supercharger, etc. just so i could have the best of both worlds. After all we have mustangs and we are built ford tough! Besides "knock on wood" its not like we are going to have a major failure before 60k ive only seen gm's do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I've been thinking of supercharging mine. But there's a lot of other things I have to do first...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Tuning wont void a 3.7 warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58 View Post
The ecu in the 3.7 is different from the 5.0. Ford issued a tsb concerning the 5.0 not the 3.7. A dealer cannot tell you have had a tune if you flash your car back to stock and drive 50 miles. This has been confirmed with several ford techs. It just looks like your battery has been disconnected. The only way they would know is if they sent your ecu off to ford engineering and that is highly unlikely with the 3.7. Way more common with the 5.0's and they have a copperhead ecu as well. Bama warranties their tunes too if you want extra piece of mind. People have been running bama tunes for over 100k. All this hype your hearing is just people worried about their new ride which is highly understandable though. If anyone has had actual trouble please please post up to let us know. I havent heard of one single problem that has caused issues on the 3.7 with a tune. Thoughts comments and stories if you got em' please.
Sounds like the exact same situation as the 5.0 ECU. They can't tell in the dealership whether they had been tuned either, and I doubt it is that big of a deal to send it to Ford Engineering. I guarantee if you walk in with a blown engine/trans or driveshaft failure then they will be sending that ECU off for analysis.

Please keep in mind, Ford techs have not been the most reliable source of information. They know just enough to do the job they are told to do, nothing more.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Road Trip!

If it were me i would say def wait on a supercharger. After all im guessing you bought new and even though its a stang you still bought a new car to make it last. Boosting anything cuts the reliability down by at least 50%. IMO id go with a cam forged pistons the whole internal shabang to get more power first

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

And def gears after the warranty! Biggest gains!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58
If it were me i would say def wait on a supercharger. After all im guessing you bought new and even though its a stang you still bought a new car to make it last. Boosting anything cuts the reliability down by at least 50%. IMO id go with a cam forged pistons the whole internal shabang to get more power first

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

And def gears after the warranty! Biggest gains!
Yeah, definitely think I'm going to grab some gears. That and a tune and I'm sure I'd be more then happy for a while! And won't be supercharging anytime too soon, but my stang only comes out on the weekends so doesn't see many miles. Still got a bunch of appearance stuff to do too
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I hear what I *think* is pinging every now and again. Been through a lot with Bama to try to dial in my tunes.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

at the end of the day Ford can void your warranty for pretty much any reason they want... and you wont be able to really do anything about it. Its just a risk you take when you mod
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
at the end of the day Ford can void your warranty for pretty much any reason they want... and you wont be able to really do anything about it. Its just a risk you take when you mod
Agreed. I think we've discussed it before, but it pays to talk to your dealership first!

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Actually you can take ford to court and make them honor your warranty if they dont know you have a tune. Thats what fine print is for when you buy a new car

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Just flash back to stock drive 50 miles and your repair is on Ford.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Other than minor pinging no problems on the 3.7. And even with that it takes a 5 min call to bama to fix it.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually you can take ford to court and make them honor your warranty if they dont know you have a tune. Thats what fine print is for when you buy a new car

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Good luck... With any of that.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if you have to fight Ford in court I wish you all the luck in the world, just take the risk with the tune as you never know
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Other than minor pinging no problems on the 3.7. And even with that it takes a 5 min call to bama to fix it.
It's been a little more involved than that, but I hope to have the pinging "fixed" soon.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
if you have to fight Ford in court I wish you all the luck in the world, just take the risk with the tune as you never know
What I would like to know is if your tune doesn't adjust ANYTHING but the gear ratio that Ford doesn't account for in stock parameters (i.e. you leave timing and A/F stock), shouldn't Ford be on the hook?

THAT is something I'd go to court over.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Ford should be on the hook anyway if you look at it from a moral standpoint. For bama or any of these other major tuning companies they have to have safe tunes or else thousands of people wouldnt be using them and they would have terrible reviews. So therefore if the bama tune is safe and leaves all the mandatory safety thresholds in place then if something goes wrong then it should be fords fault its their design. Thats like buying a computer then loading a awesome program (virus free) and then your computer stops working and the manufacturer says oh well you did this blah blah. No just honor your design. Seriously.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58 View Post
Ford should be on the hook anyway if you look at it from a moral standpoint.
How do you figure? What do morals have to do with this?

Quote:
For bama or any of these other major tuning companies they have to have safe tunes or else thousands of people wouldnt be using them and they would have terrible reviews. So therefore if the bama tune is safe and leaves all the mandatory safety thresholds in place then if something goes wrong then it should be fords fault its their design.
Do you even know what you're talking about. Mandatory safety thresholds? I believe that Ford would argue that the engine tune that ships with the car is the mandatory safety threshold.

Quote:
Thats like buying a computer then loading a awesome program (virus free) and then your computer stops working and the manufacturer says oh well you did this blah blah. No just honor your design. Seriously.
No, it's not like that at all. Computers are designed to have software installed on them. Also, I'm not aware of any computer distributor that supports third party software, so once again your logic is patently flawed. And Ford does honor their design, they just don't honor other peoples'. When you load a third party tune on your ECU, then the car is no longer operating under Ford's design specifications. There is no reason that Ford should have to fix something that someone else broke. Now if the failure is due to a defect (ex: the MT82 shifting problems) then they should be obligated to fix it. If you load a tune that disables the knock sensors and advances the engine timing to a sufficient level that you toast a piston, I fully agree they (Ford) have NO responsibility to fix that.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford should be on the hook anyway if you look at it from a moral standpoint. For bama or any of these other major tuning companies they have to have safe tunes or else thousands of people wouldnt be using them and they would have terrible reviews. So therefore if the bama tune is safe and leaves all the mandatory safety thresholds in place then if something goes wrong then it should be fords fault its their design. Thats like buying a computer then loading a awesome program (virus free) and then your computer stops working and the manufacturer says oh well you did this blah blah. No just honor your design. Seriously.
Problem is that the tune does a lot of stuff potentially unsafe. It's really more akin to over locking your processor. Yes, you can coax more power out of it than the way it ships, but you're operating outside the original parameters and COULD cause failure.

Now, the same OC settings with the same extra hardware might work for 1,000 other people, and it COULD be that the reason your chip failed was flawed design, but the fact is that you've altered it; so, it muddies the waters.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #18

Region: Iowa

You people are dreaming or just plain stupid if you think you are going to beat Ford in a warranty game. They have way more money, attorneys, and friends in high places than you. If you don't think so, just review the outcome of the ill fated manual transmission issues..............Plum
plumbago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Okay a computer is designed to run software and so is a cars ecu. Thats why its called a stock TUNE! Ford has unnecessary thresholds in the stock tune such as limiting the top speed to 112 mph when the car can safely be driven at 130 with no driveshaft failure and stock tires. Also Ford has a very conservative air fuel ratio based on mpg's. Do you really think one mustang tune is suitable for everyone? No. Thats why tuning companies make money. And thats why they are also safe tunes as well. People would not be running them if they had so many issues like everyone is worried about. And yes i know what im talking about when i say safety thresholds. Our motor has a hard redline at 7000. Do you know how high it can actually rev before you start running into issues? No you dont. 7850. Ford detunes cars from a performance aspect from the factory. Thats why our auto is always hunting for sixth gear.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

And no tune disables knock sensors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang