Avoid k&n type air filters!!!! Beware! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #36
Pete Jones
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58
*Rob Levinson from UUC Motorwerks**says that "it is really doing every E34 owner a disservice for three reasons:
• First, conclusive tests from independent labs show that K&N filters, no matter how well-oiled and cleaned, let through huge amounts of large particulate that damages engines. Oil analysis shows 5x as much silicate contamination. Additionally, the oil from these filters tends to muck up the MAF and cause an engine-damaging lean-run condition.*
• Second, an open element filter like that sucks in hot underhood air and subjects the filter to "fan wash", the swirl that creates a vacuum effect. On the E36 M3, we measure a 15hp loss from open cone filters.*
• Third, the E34 airbox is designed with an integral velocity-stack style venturi at the opening. Running one of these engines on a dyno, you can cause a 5hp drop just from putting your finger on the stack lip. Removing that airbox undoes a lot of good BMW engineering. Yes, these filters make a "really cool" noise... but**noise does not equal power*. Stick with a stock paper element in the factory airbox, you're not getting any more power with a K&N garbage-filter, just damaging your motor."

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Air_filter.htm

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Even though thats a bmw it still shows testing and results. I keep trying to tell you people its common sense!
what if your running the fender well cai which would be between the inner fender and passenger side fender?(or vice versa, never owned anything but a 5.0 fox)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58
*Rob Levinson from UUC Motorwerks**says that "it is really doing every E34 owner a disservice for three reasons:
• First, conclusive tests from independent labs show that K&N filters, no matter how well-oiled and cleaned, let through huge amounts of large particulate that damages engines. Oil analysis shows 5x as much silicate contamination. Additionally, the oil from these filters tends to muck up the MAF and cause an engine-damaging lean-run condition.*
• Second, an open element filter like that sucks in hot underhood air and subjects the filter to "fan wash", the swirl that creates a vacuum effect. On the E36 M3, we measure a 15hp loss from open cone filters.*
• Third, the E34 airbox is designed with an integral velocity-stack style venturi at the opening. Running one of these engines on a dyno, you can cause a 5hp drop just from putting your finger on the stack lip. Removing that airbox undoes a lot of good BMW engineering. Yes, these filters make a "really cool" noise... but**noise does not equal power*. Stick with a stock paper element in the factory airbox, you're not getting any more power with a K&N garbage-filter, just damaging your motor."

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Air_filter.htm

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Even though thats a bmw it still shows testing and results. I keep trying to tell you people its common sense!
glad I don't have a e34. The gains in mustangs has been proven. I would like to see the oil study they did. Not just hear about it...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

glad I don't have a e34. The gains in mustangs has been proven. I would like to see the oil study they did. Not just hear about it...
+11. But I would say that the gains from CAI that require a tune have been proven!.. Not trying to be nit picky or anything!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #39
Road Trip!

Region: Georgia
Yeah i think it depends largely on the intake manifold from car to car when it comes to CAI's
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Re: Avoid k&n type air filters!!!! Beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58 View Post
If you plan on having your car last 100-150k miles then DO NOT use a performance air filter. Only use paper filters. K&N type air filters breathe better meaning they dont filter as well and let more dirt and grime into the engine that can cause damage. The few extra hp is not worth the longevity of your engine!
Hmmm should I be worried?

My 2006 has 199,985 on it right now. The performance/K&N type filter went on the first year with a C&L intake and tune. I ran a 75 shot of nitrous for two years. At 90,000 miles I pulled the nitrous and put the Xcharger Xtreme on the car.

So according to your "facts" my engine should have died a lonnnnggggg time ago. Yet, this weekend I ran 12's again at the track with >199,000 miles on the car and a lot more than 150,000 with a performance filter on it.

Every third oil change I send a sample out to Blackstone Labs for analysis and it comes back with no abnormalities showing up regarding wear components.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

My 2006 has 199,985 on it right now. The performance/K&N type filter went on the first year with a C&L intake and tune. I ran a 75 shot of nitrous for two years. At 90,000 miles I pulled the nitrous and put the Xcharger Xtreme on the car.

So according to your "facts" my engine should have died a lonnnnggggg time ago. Yet, this weekend I ran 12's again at the track with >199,000 miles on the car and a lot more than 150,000 with a performance filter on it.

Every third oil change I send a sample out to Blackstone Labs for analysis and it comes back with no abnormalities showing up regarding wear components.
No you should not be worried. There is nothing to worry about...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I guess it was built ford tough
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
No you should not be worried. There is nothing to worry about...
that was the point of my post - should have put a [sarcasm] label.

Obviously the "alert - if you plan to go over 100,000 miles" wasn't proved out by my car. 200,000 tomorrow, still running strong.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
I guess it was built ford tough
+11. Hahahahahahahaha.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Quote:

You should be worried more about a car accident more then anything if you have a 2006 with 199k on it from driving 24/7. I have a 93 f150 with 324,000 miles that ive used stock paper filters with since day 1. My neighbor has the same truck except a 94 who ran a k&n from about 30k on and he has 150k now and his oil had so much gunk in it last oil change and you could see dirt all over the intake tube after the filter. So congratulations you are part of the 10 percent of people who has that many miles and doesnt have issues!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I have one on my '04 GT and it has about 114,000 miles on it and zero issues!.. Had one on my '96 Monte-Carlo and it had about 180,000 miles on it and zero issues!.. A buddy of mine has one on his '02 GT and it has well over 220,000 miles and zero issues!.. There is alot more to a dirty engine then just what type of air filter you use!.. There is also your oil, oil filter, and fuel filter and how often those items are maintained!.. Hell the quality of the gas you use will play a factor in it also!.. Even how rich or how lean your car is running will affect it!..

All these things need to be taken into consideration, before you say any one of them will cause your engine to become dirty!...
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Just for Ss and Gs I might take off my filter and look inside the intake tube. In theory, it should be a pretty dusty environment in there given the dangerous nature of these oil-based filters, right?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
You should be worried more about a car accident more then anything if you have a 2006 with 199k on it from driving 24/7. I have a 93 f150 with 324,000 miles that ive used stock paper filters with since day 1. My neighbor has the same truck except a 94 who ran a k&n from about 30k on and he has 150k now and his oil had so much gunk in it last oil change and you could see dirt all over the intake tube after the filter. So congratulations you are part of the 10 percent of people who has that many miles and doesnt have issues!

Ten percent huh. That reminds me - that 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot LOL

I think it is much higher than your 10%. Just based upon observation across numerous forums and based upon the results of lots of my friends who have modded their Mustangs. CAI and filter is one of the first mods.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Holy sh**! How did you get that many miles on it? !
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #50
Registered Member

Regular

fultonboy09 - surprising isn't it! I drive it every day, year round. My commute is 45 miles one way, and I have clients all over the state so end up driving quite a bit to see them. Plus I cover an office once a month that is 150 miles from my house.

It gets daily miles for work and from April through November sees weekend duty at the drag strip.

It rolled over 200,000 this morning on the way in to work. I think Ford did a great job with this 4.0 V6 - really strong and takes lot of abuse.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So what if small microscopic dirt particles get past your air filter? Probably burn off just fine or get trapped in the oil and filtered thru the oil filter, that's why it's important to change your oil, to say it would cause engine failure is an hyper extension of truth

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #52
Road Trip!

Thats why they make both filters i guess. Some people will like both kinds regardless.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #53

Region: Texas
K&N Performance Air Filter on my 2015 Mustang GT

I have been very blessed with a bigger and badder Mustang each time I received one from the factory. My Bro works at FoMoCo as a Corporate Officer. I've had 6 Mustangs in the last 18 years. my last 4 were a 1999 V6 Pony, A 2004 Mach1, a 2008 Dealer prepped BOSS, a 20013 GT and just received my last (I think!) GT Premium with the Performance Package and all the whistles and bells. On every single one, I have had a K&N air filter and or K&N air intake system installed. If you keep the filter clean and oiled within specs, you will not have any problems. As with any engine that has over 100, or even 150K miles on it, keeping the fuel, oil and air filtration systems cleaned and in place, are key to keeping your pony healthy. I cleaned mine every other oil change and found dirt and grime on the surface of the filter. The same amount as I would have, with a paper unit. Check the bottom of the air box for any residue that bypasses the filter and if you see sediment or bugs, you may have a warped box or defective filter seal. If not, I believe you will see nothing in the way of particulates present. Follow the manufacturers recommended service cycle for the filter and you should have a few 100K's of driving pleasure from your pony as I have.
budrow1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
dude come on. vehicles react differently to pod filters. That is a dyno shown fact thanks to MCM (check out their videos on pod filter testing vs stock oem boxes with paper filters). some vehicles lost a few hp and a few gained hp with swapping to a pod filter. Now onto your original post. If you don't want to run a pod filter that's fine but you can't tell me it's killing my engine. I've had my 130k mile engine apart doing other things and it was very clean inside. Why is that?? because I change my oil ever 5k miles with amsoil and a good filter. I care about my motor and trust me if my internals were overly dirty i'd be swapping back to a stock airbox in a heart beat. however i can only say my intake has been a positive.

now as for what brand pod filter i run. I use an oiless pod filter mainly because ease of use. not due to OPs reasoning but because when i was younger idiot me over oiled a k&n on my last GT and it bucked like mad until i cleaned off the MAF and redid the filter. So now i just wash the filter but don't oil it

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
holy resurrected old post batman! this thread is from before I was even considering a stang. hahaha

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hole cow, this is back from the dead.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

i also read though (now that this topic is alive again lol) that the oiled down ones aren't as good for the engine....which is why i went with the dry AFE one. plus when you wash it, you don't have to go through the process of re-oiling it...since i am pretty damn lazy.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Question Why are you Complaining?

Quote:
If you plan on having your car last 100-150k miles then DO NOT use a performance air filter. Only use paper filters. K&N type air filters breathe better meaning they dont filter as well and let more dirt and grime into the engine that can cause damage. The few extra hp is not worth the longevity of your engine!

Just exactly why are you complaining so much? Did your engine blow up?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Just exactly why are you complaining so much? Did your engine blow up?
His last post was in April of 2012, so I don't think you'll be getting a response back any time soon...
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:29 AM   #60
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
*Yes, these filters make a "really cool" noise... but**noise does not equal power*
Hogwash, louder is faster. I got at least 15 hp power after addition of vinyl stripes!
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:44 AM   #61
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Love to see old threads brought back from the dead...indicates folks are searching.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

yep. and digging pretty deep.

For what its worth, Honestly im in between about this. I do believe that more particles will get through a k&n filter. But clearly, it's not stopping any of our mustangs. Maybe if you put it in a high revving 4 banger, and all that high pressure air intake rushing through those little intake tubes might pull in enough microscopic dirt to start causing some damage. At 160k miles, im sure the original owner put the K&N on early in the engines life, and its still running great. No point in reverting back now ( although i do have the original intake sitting in my storage unit.) but maybe ill switch back when the time for a rebuild comes. (If a time for a rebuild comes, lol)
Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #63
Kevin.Cook

Yup. People just fail to keep up with normal maintenance on their car then blame the first thing they can find. I always take time to clean my TB, MAF Sensor, check intake filter (regardless of what kind), oil changes, etc. You keep up with everything, and you should not run into issues on normal roads with normal driving.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #64
Admin

Supporter
Admin

And then they make a comment against a vendor, or locate myths on the interweb and spread them out without merit.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #65
Kevin.Cook

I will even go as far as to say I have the aFe drop in filter in my 2014 and in my 2011 I have the K&N drop in. Both are great. I am always one for variety and trying new/different things.

I do prefer the dry filter. But if I were to match the 2011 with the 2014 part for part, then I wouldn't be able to share my awesome experiences with everyone with 2 different builds
Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #66
Staff
Regular
Staff

I never had a problem with K&Ns on multiple vehicles I've owned. Ever...

Thread necro from an OP who read something on google and started recycling it IMO.

Filter that came on my 2000 was a dirty as OMFG K&N style from I have zero idea when. Cleaned it with my K&N cleaning kit, washed it and then re-did it for good measure and misted it with a light coat of oil and its in a big ziplock right now because I won't be using it till the new motor goes in but that's one less thing I have to buy. Filter itself is good as new.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #67
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I never had a problem with K&Ns on multiple vehicles I've owned. Ever...

Thread necro from an OP who read something on google and started recycling it IMO.

Filter that came on my 2000 was a dirty as OMFG K&N style from I have zero idea when. Cleaned it with my K&N cleaning kit, washed it and then re-did it for good measure and misted it with a light coat of oil and its in a big ziplock right now because I won't be using it till the new motor goes in but that's one less thing I have to buy. Filter itself is good as new.

Dang man. You need to start offering that as a service to the people who don't clean theirs. Lol
Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #68
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I bought a K&N "kit" for a 2004 (bought it new) Harley-Davidson. I think Ronnie (member here) sold it to me when he worked at a Harley parts store way back when. I put over 168K on that K&N filter kit; it was on the first engine to its 106K, then I replaced the engine and swapped the K&N over to it and put another 60K on it before I sold the bike.

Currently have one in my 2007 Ford F150; it has 109K on it. As stated, just do maintenance, and don't over oil them after cleaning.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #69
Staff
Regular
Staff

The big issue with K&Ns are ppl who oil the living **** out of them and then slap them right in and start the car right away. They need a light coat and then they ideally should be left out to dry and THEN installed.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #70
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I bought a K&N "kit" for a 2004 (bought it new) Harley-Davidson. I think Ronnie (member here) sold it to me when he worked at a Harley parts store way back when. I put over 168K on that K&N filter kit; it was on the first engine to its 106K, then I replaced the engine and swapped the K&N over to it and put another 60K on it before I sold the bike.

Currently have one in my 2007 Ford F150; it has 109K on it. As stated, just do maintenance, and don't over oil them after cleaning.
Aww Bucko you are making my cars look like they have too many miles on them. Lol. My 2011 has 103k.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang