Auto vs Man - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Auto vs Man

in the past few years autos have came a LONG LONG way. Back in the day autos were slower, heavier, sucked more power and gave worse gas mileage. Basically EVERYTHING you did not want in a performance or sport vehicle.

Finally they are catching up in terms of being much much better and in some cases far superior to manuals. Its down now to basically preference or need. So now its just about opinion and which you personally feel better with.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

+11.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

Yep, agreed. It's all about what you enjoy.

I learned to drive on my dad's old Ford 3-on-the-tree with a worn out clutch when I was 14. Told me if I could drive that, I could drive anything. He was right. Although my learning to drive that old beast nearly cost him his barn. heh

Since then I've had 27 years driving automatics and manuals both. Autos have come a long way, but in the past decade I returned to manuals shifters on my little compact sport coupe and continued now with my 2013 V6 pony.

I drive for pleasure and for me, the automatics that were available to me were just... boring. I enjoy driving with the manual -- even in heavy traffic and steep inclines, thanks to the 2013s hill assist. Totally stress free for me, especially compared to my much higher-strung previous car.

When I looked at the Select Shift automatics available on the new Mustangs, I just wasn't excited about the option to shift using those little buttons on the side of the shifter and so decided to save the $1200 or $1500 and get the manual instead.

But I am still curious. Does anyone actually use the manual option on the Select Shift autos? If so, how do you like it?
DEvermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
Road Trip!

Region: Georgia
Noone has that feature yet. 2013 is the first yr of it in the mustang
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I prefer a stick because... More engaging in traffic. More control in the twisties (country back roads, autox, haven't done a track day yet). Slowing down by downshifting (but I do that with autos, too).

I used to commute in bumper to bumper for an hour each way. When I switched for a while to an auto my right foot got tired from always being in the brake, LOL! I got used to it -- and that's all traffic is. You adapt. Muscles grow. Muscle memory is recorded...

I like a stick over an auto every time, because it suits my driving style and, ultimately, gives me control over every aspect of shifting. Get what suits YOUR driving style. And from what I've read, esp. For the 2013s, the auto trannies are very smartly designed.

Side note about diesels: I'd take a BMW 335d over the gas version any day of the week. Hooray mileage and why-bother-downshifting TORQUE!!

My $.02. Couldn't resist commenting...
CurbRash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang