Auto vs Man - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Georgia
Auto vs Man

The autos out perform the manuals with a custom tune in the quarter mile. What!???
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Auto vs Man

I hate people who buy automatic mustangs (no offense man) i get that it is a drag car and people are all about racing and quarter miles...but come on if your spending all this money for a car your going to drive for fun....why auto. This is my first stick shift and i love it. I learned right away and now i cant stand driving auto cars. I feel i have much more control of the car, i love how i can make the engine rev up wherever i want to. When i see a fellow mustang driver go by me i cringe when i dont hear that clutch engage. The worst thing is when i see an auto driver with their hand on the shifter. Its quite sad. I really am not looking for people to get pissed on here but this is just a touchy subject for me. I see so many mustangs out there who opt for the $1500 auto...and not interior upgrade or leather etc. And there is always, always an excuse. Whether it be that there are prblems with the manual, or they do alot of citt driving, or their girlfriend cant learn. Its annoying, just get a civic. Mustangs should be manual only, just for true car guys, but of course that would hurt sales, because 90% of people cant drive stick, and then when im at a light on an incline ive got jackasses right up my ***.....or cutting in front of me when im rolling in second so i have to engage clutch...because they have no clue. Cars are appliances to people. Anything more than this pedal for go, this pedal for stop will blow their mind. Stick isnt that hard. My first time in my friends tiburon...didnt even stall it once, and i forced my girlfriend to try in my stang...same thing and shifted into second smoothly.

Todays sticks are much easier to drive than the past. If your worried about drag times get a fox body with a powerglide transmission, and use your sixxer for the streets.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #3

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig View Post
I hate people who buy automatic mustangs (no offense man) i get that it is a drag car and people are all about racing and quarter miles...but come on if your spending all this money for a car your going to drive for fun....why auto. This is my first stick shift and i love it. I learned right away and now i cant stand driving auto cars. I feel i have much more control of the car, i love how i can make the engine rev up wherever i want to. When i see a fellow mustang driver go by me i cringe when i dont hear that clutch engage. The worst thing is when i see an auto driver with their hand on the shifter. Its quite sad. I really am not looking for people to get pissed on here but this is just a touchy subject for me. I see so many mustangs out there who opt for the $1500 auto...and not interior upgrade or leather etc. And there is always, always an excuse. Whether it be that there are prblems with the manual, or they do alot of citt driving, or their girlfriend cant learn. Its annoying, just get a civic. Mustangs should be manual only, just for true car guys, but of course that would hurt sales, because 90% of people cant drive stick, and then when im at a light on an incline ive got jackasses right up my ***.....or cutting in front of me when im rolling in second so i have to engage clutch...because they have no clue. Cars are appliances to people. Anything more than this pedal for go, this pedal for stop will blow their mind. Stick isnt that hard. My first time in my friends tiburon...didnt even stall it once, and i forced my girlfriend to try in my stang...same thing and shifted into second smoothly.

Todays sticks are much easier to drive than the past. If your worried about drag times get a fox body with a powerglide transmission, and use your sixxer for the streets.
2011 GT CONV PREMIUM

YES, 6 Speed manual, I have a daily driver, my wife has a car, this is my sports car, and a sports car should be a stick.

Agreed.

2015 Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Jeep Wrangler (Lifted)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
Jeffola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
After driving two automatic 'stangs, I'm on my first manual. For a 'fun' 'sporty' car, I wouldn't want anything else.

Automatic transmissions have improved alongside the manuals, and probably more so. Look at all of the serious drag cars..all automatics.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

automatics are more consistent and faster when built, the newer autos are very close to manuals in performance~ just a matter of preference. I personally REALLY enjoy shifting my own gears and its much more fun overall but thats just me.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Ive owned nothing but sticks my whole life and now have an auto. Shifting your own gears isnt that big of deal man. If you drive in atl rush hr traffic everyday your going to burnout your clutch before 50k. I hate people who buy manuals and hate on autos. They think they are the s**t because they can press a pedal and pull a lever.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

I don't hate. It's a preference. I'd it was my daily driver it would be auto.

2015 Mustang GT Convertible
2014 Jeep Wrangler (Lifted)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
Jeffola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Plus the new manuals are cheap and made in china. Yuck.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffola
I don't hate. It's a preference. I'd it was my daily driver it would be auto.
+1 its a preference if its a dd then why buy a stick when you can just get an auto. I understand if its your weekend car or whatever else but i mean why would you want to do extra work when your just doing normal everyday driving
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58 View Post
Ive owned nothing but sticks my whole life and now have an auto. Shifting your own gears isnt that big of deal man. If you drive in atl rush hr traffic everyday your going to burnout your clutch before 50k. I hate people who buy manuals and hate on autos. They think they are the s**t because they can press a pedal and pull a lever.
+1, In my younger days, I had a stick, it was fun and exciting, except in heavy Traffic days. It's a preferrance not a Law.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

I love my manual and couldn't imagine an auto. not hating on those that have it, just preference. However my achy knees may be changing my choice sooner than later
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Im happy with my auto and wouldnt change it for the world after owning nothing but sticks. Im well aware of the "fun" factor but an auto can be just as fun. Its the car that determines the fun factor. Not the trans
Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

Quote:
+1 its a preference if its a dd then why buy a stick when you can just get an auto. I understand if its your weekend car or whatever else but i mean why would you want to do extra work when your just doing normal everyday driving
autos are just plain boring... why get a stick when you can get an auto??? This is my DD and nothing makes me happier than dropping into 3rd and blowing by the dumbass slamming on their brakes for abso****inlutely no reason... I live in Maryland and cannot stand the drivers here if you can't tell... (I originate from Michigan)
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Okay i can just slam down the gas and it drops to third for me and i get the same thrill as you without the work. Manuals are just old technology. Its like the chinese and the chopsticks. I dont get it. They've seen the fork!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

This ha got to be the oldest, dumbest (yes dumbest because that's how stoopid this is) debate. That's like saying red is better than blue because I like it more and your opinion is wrong. It's all just that, opinions. Who cares which one you think is better. Someone will always think something else is better.

Anyone that brings up auto vs manual is looking for an argument... Bleh

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
I've had an auto and now my standard and I've enjoyed both. They both have their pros and cons. To each their own.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
This ha got to be the oldest, dumbest (yes dumbest because that's how stoopid this is) debate. That's like saying red is better than blue because I like it more and your opinion is wrong. It's all just that, opinions. Who cares which one you think is better. Someone will always think something else is better.

Agreed. I am just stating I personally enjoy it and find it more of a "get to" instead of a "have to" in regards to shifting. Maybe sounds odd but I feel it just adds to the experience of driving and becoming one with the machine
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Just close this thread its lame....this is your second thread in two weeks that asks people to argue....i had your back on the k/n thread and now i feel like getting one lol burn out clutch in 50k is cheaper than the extra $1500 you pay for your auto tranny and the extra maintenance it requires, and of course the brakes youll need because you cant kick it into neutral and let it coast...and if you are doing so in an auto then your just lame

I get what u guys mean about city driving but dont get a sports car then. My work is a 15 min walk so im loving it...i use this thing on weekends and highway drives.

Im gonna go do a burnout without having to do a brake stand. Enjoy your faster quarter mile times, if it makes you feel better. My girl is more impressed by my 4 limb coordination than a quarter mile time lol

Stick shift ftw!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Lol the funny part about it is you dont even know that putting it in neutral uses more gas than just leaving it in gear and not pressing the gas lmao new cars are designed to only deliver fuel when the accelerator is pressed. And brake wear is the same so i dont know what you are talking about. That makes no sense at all. And if you look at my first post i wasnt asking for an arguement i was just saying something interesting. People just want to argue because they think their way is the only way. I didnt start anything to argue. People just need to learn how to respond.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Stick with your chinese pos transmission that already had tsb's issued. Ill stick with my good old american made auto.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=iwalkaline58;1113468]Lol the funny part about it is you dont even know that putting it in neutral uses more gas than just leaving it in gear and not pressing the gas lmao new cars are designed to only deliver fuel when the accelerator is pressed. And brake wear is the same so i dont know what you are talking about. That makes no sense at all. And if you look at my first post i wasnt asking for an arguement i was just saying something interesting. People just want to argue because they think their way is the only way. I didnt start anything to argue. People just need to learn how to respond.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Stick with your chinese pos transmission that already had tsb's issued. Ill stick with my good old american made auto. [/QUOT

Im not stating facts it just seems like when i drive an auto i have to ride the brakes alot more as the engine is coasting, but im probably wrong. And gas mileage....really? Lol but when im coming to a light i engage my clutch and the engine rpms drop...so i figured this would reduce gas consumption...figured. You really hate the chinese lol most of our car probably isnt built in the u.s.a sadly. This chinese transmission is what made me question buying this car for a whole year but i just couldnt stand the thought of buying an auto stang, preference though. The fact that you had stick cars, know how to drive them (probably better than me) makes me not hate you. But i still find this post useless.

I find it hilariious when people diss made in china as they grasp their crappy iphone.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

I completely agree.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58
Plus the new manuals are cheap and made in china. Yuck.
What isn't cheap and made in china these days?
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
Road Trip!

My auto transmission. lol jk this thread got taken down the wrong road. I just thought it would ve interesting to post about how autos have become much more efficient and debatably quicker than manuals in the quarter mile. When it comes down to it if you want a stick buy a stick and if you want an auto buy an auto. Now moving this thread towards a different direction. Does Ford gear the auto higher to result in same quarter mile times as the manual considering the auto has driveline loss from the torque converter?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Ok let's start up a smarter debate... V8 vs V6. Wait a minute... Never mind
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36

Ok let's start up a smarter debate... V8 vs V6. Wait a minute... Never mind
Lol, we all know that v6's have more power and v8's are more economical...

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Yep!
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you buy a V8 you're stoopid and hurt the environment.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #27
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yep and only losers with low confidence would buy one, all the cool kids but the v6's for its hybrid capabilities

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep and only losers with low confidence would buy one, all the cool kids but the v6's for its hybrid capabilities
Yeah! I hope they put in the 1.2L engine from the Ford Ka in the next gen mustang! That would be fuel efficient.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #29
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Then make it a diesel, electric, natural gas hybrid and call it the mustang 2 again. Then they should throw Shelby badges all over it and charge 50k for it

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36

What isn't cheap and made in china these days?
my tremic
Zaks06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Then make it a diesel, electric, natural gas hybrid and call it the mustang 2 again. Then they should throw Shelby badges all over it and charge 50k for it
Or increase the displacement by .0001, put roush badges on it and charge 65k with a 10k dealer markup.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaks06GT

my tremic
No, that's cheap and made in Mexico
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #32
Road Trip!

El tremecio roto!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58
Thank you. Drove a stick for 13 years before my auto Stang. It's not like you're in some elite club because how you know how to drive one.

Driving on 285 isn't nearly as onerous with an auto. I still miss shifting sometimes, but I also don't miss wearing my left knee out on the clutch when I'm stuck in rush hour traffic.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Def agree!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Im happy with my auto and wouldnt change it for the world after owning nothing but sticks. Im well aware of the "fun" factor but an auto can be just as fun. Its the car that determines the fun factor. Not the trans
I feel the same, I've had nothing but sticks but the auto is a nice relief, I was def sick of shifting non stop. Def doesn't diminish the cars coolness factor, it's 100% preference.
GrabberBlue305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang