Auto Headlamps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Auto Headlamps

Hi Do you guys know how to disable auto headlights on a 2011 mustang i need to disable it because Im going to be installing HIDs this weekend
killrocker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Are you talking about day time running lights? The automatic headlight feature can be turned off by turning the headlight switch to the OFF position. Don't think day time runnin lights is an option on our cars. Could be wrong though.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Auto Headlamps

whats the issue with having HIDS and auto lights?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
whats the issue with having HIDS and auto lights?
Not sure but my car as factory installed HIDs and auto headlights.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Region: Georgia
I have drls on my 08. The dealership told me that they couldnt turn them off. So as far as I know there is no way to turn them.
Hamil8077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not getting the factory hids I'm getting the xenon and the problem is when I put the car in drive the headlights turn on and I don't want hids light on during daytime so any idea how to turn them off
Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by killrocker52 View Post
I'm not getting the factory hids I'm getting the xenon and the problem is when I put the car in drive the headlights turn on and I don't want hids light on during daytime so any idea how to turn them off
Just stay away from aftermarket hid its a mess with tons of hassle and not too impressive result on light output. The ballasts and bulbs go out constantly, there is no cutoff pattern so you blind everyone, and the light output sucks because the housing isnt meant for hid. Its why i spent the extra $900 on this car for factory hid....i leanred my lesson. The blue light makes u think you see better with aftermarket hid but its all in your head. The ford hid setup is pure white and it makes it seem like daylight.

Just my 2 cents ive blown alot of money trying to get aftermarket hids running on my other ride...it was 4 years of constant problems and people flashing brights at me.even with one headlight out thanks to burnt ballast or headlight (the 8+ times it happened.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Im still waiting on my replacment harness and bulb. I agree i have had trouble with keeping going. But when they are working the blue looks awsome and i feel like i can see better . But its all preference.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol honestly if I had 900 bucks I would definitely get the factory hid but I don't so I mean it wouldn't hurt to try the kit I got it for like 35 bucks and if they don't work I could always switch back to stock head lights
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i understand. 35 bucks is super cheap lol my kit on my ither ride cost 150 with a warraty which during i had to replace two bulbs and two ballasts. The two years after i replaced another ballast (at $20) and 3 bulhs. And i was cautious..i had no drl and only used them at night and never had on for less than 5 minutes. I was on a website a few years ago where u can buy hid kits in wholesale for resale...theyre all the same u just pick the package design and fake brand name. Apparently they all come from the same factory in china. Dont blow the $35 next time lol and the biggest problem is having a burned out bulb while u wait for replacement parts to be shipped.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i guess u are right but i really wanna see how they look

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

well so does anyone know how to disable auto headlights its just really annoying because whenever i drive during the daytime i just want the parking lights on because it looks sick!!!! but the main headlight turns on whenever i put the car in drive
Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mine where 50 bucks but theycwhere hi/lo and 35 watt the ebay ppl are replacing the parts for free. They look great to me. Just hate waiting on warranty items.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Are you sure there isnt a setting on your light switch? Your turn signals should be your daytime runners...on mine there is a swirch that says O for off where nothing comes on...P will have just the turn signals rear running lights and side markers on. See pic below. The a decides for u. Are non hid vehicles diff then?? Or maybe because i have a manual it doesnt function the same??

Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

On mine when I put it on O nothing turns on but when the car is on D then the lights turn on by itself and it is the main headlights not the parking "orange" lights
btw your mustang looks sick
Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On mine when I put it on O nothing turns on but when the car is on D then the lights turn on by itself and it is the main headlights not the parking "orange" lights
btw your mustang looks sick
Thanks i appreciate it. Post pics of urs soon

It sounds like yours has daytime running lights on headlights because its automatic (i think) im curious if my car behaves differently than an auto stang with factory hid. Regardless it sounds like youll have to modify some wiring. In my experience with nissans it was as simple as removing the drl module. This is a tough one so many guys on here have aftermarket hid i wonder if theyre running them all the time. The good thing is there is nothing stopping you from installing them but i think the halogens are fed a lower current during drl mode (i think) so if this is the case the longevity of your ballasts and bulbs will be significantly reduced.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well I just went to ford and they told me every 2011 ford mustang had this feature and that I had to pay 55 bucks to get rid of the feature and he told me that it wasn't a simple cut the wire and the lights would go off he told me that he needs to plug the car into a computer to disable it seriously WTF I doubt every auto stang has this so called "feature"
Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I just went to ford and they told me every 2011 ford mustang had this feature and that I had to pay 55 bucks to get rid of the feature and he told me that it wasn't a simple cut the wire and the lights would go off he told me that he needs to plug the car into a computer to disable it seriously WTF I doubt every auto stang has this so called "feature"
Daytime running lights are mandatory in some states and provinces. I think because I have a manual there is no drl but where I live they are required by law (for automatics I guess). Who knew manual transmissions not only give you more control of your car...but also your headlights! Lol but drl are safety features they make your car more visible so that you aren't confused with a parked car and it actually helps visibility for other drivers even in broad daylight...easier to see you.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ya but here in socal u dont really need them I just wished they would disable them for free instead of me paying 55 bucks
Old 04-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya but here in socal u dont really need them I just wished they would disable them for free instead of me paying 55 bucks
Theres gotta be a way you can do it yourself for free..unfortunately these cars are too new. For my nissan ive got field service manuals that tell you how to remove anything from the car. I doubt you can find one yet for the stang. Try asking th 05-09 forum i bet someone there figured it out and they probably have similar wiring. Dont shell out more than the hids to the stealership. Its gotta be an easy thing since labour is $120+/hr....

My nissan didnt come with drl's and i wanted some, so i ended up using my yellow fog lights as drl's. Th fogs only worked when headlights were on, so i wired them to the ac relay so that whenever the ignition was on i had full control of the switch. So i just left the switch on, so theyd go on automatically with the car on. Theres ways to improvise it just takes some "modding" lol good luck buddy

Did a quick google check this thread out someone posted a pic on imageshack...it looks risky but give it a shot...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-lights.html
Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Road Trip!

DRL's are MANDATORY in Canada but not here in the states. My 2012 auto doesnt have them.
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I know you dont need it here either and the car i bought was sold in detroit
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

here is a diagram . not sure if it helps maybe if you disconnect the (auto wire ) . copy and paste the link .
Ford Service Manuals - Wiring Diagrams - Headlamps and Autolamps.pdf
Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man for the diagram you're a beast Im going to try to locate the auto wire first thing in the morning Ill keep you guys posted again thanks Curtin 1991 youre amazing
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Wowwww...curtin thats the exact same type of thing i have for the nissan...thanks for sharing that with us major props to you!!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

No prob. Man . Found the looking at some wires for my radio and thought u might.be able to use it. But good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Awsome glad to see it helpd you guys.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Now according to the manual or the diagram the purple wire is the auto headlights wire what do u think is the auto headlamps wire? Just look at Curtin link

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120416_151313.png
Views:	296
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	47321
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

U said the lights turn on when u put the car in drive. I think. So put a test.light to it when the car is in park. It shouldent have any volts. Then try to leave the test light on the wire and put it in drive to see if it then shows any volts . That should show if thats the one.
Some one correct me if im wrong. Bc i do not have this set up.
Hope it helps any ways.
Also sorry about the spelling on my phone .
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to try that thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
Im still waiting on my replacment harness and bulb. I agree i have had trouble with keeping going. But when they are working the blue looks awsome and i feel like i can see better . But its all preference.
I played with blueish bulbs, once, with another car. LOVED them on clear nights -- they were like an extension of the moon, basking everything in a soothing blue light. Then it rained and was reminded why the sky is blue -- Blue light scatters in all directions and I couldn't see nearly as well as with regular halogens. My Mustang wasn't two weeks old before I bought it Sylvania Silverstars to fix its incompetent standard halogens. XtraVisions would illuminate the road better, but bright white's a good compromise for me.
CurbRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Make sure to post pics!
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

well sorry guys for posting this late but i have some really bad news........ So i went to ford they told me they'll look at it and they also said they will be able to program the key (thats a whole another story long story short when i bought my car i only got 1 key so i had to get another key) and they said they would charge me 110 for both and I said ok fine so they got the key done but they couldnt figure out the drl they said they would call ford at detroit. So i paid the 110. Next day I got the call and he told me oh its this whole computer complicated thing and he said that he will charge me 110 again if i want to have no drls. So what should i do? I cant afford another 110 lol im a college student and plus im trying to save up for an exhaust.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Call them out on that bull crap! They said $110 for BOTH! so make them do BOTH! I am sick and tired of these big companies thinking they can get away with stealing people's hard earned cash!
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
DLI

Region: Canada

Quote:
well sorry guys for posting this late but i have some really bad news........ So i went to ford they told me they'll look at it and they also said they will be able to program the key (thats a whole another story long story short when i bought my car i only got 1 key so i had to get another key) and they said they would charge me 110 for both and I said ok fine so they got the key done but they couldnt figure out the drl they said they would call ford at detroit. So i paid the 110. Next day I got the call and he told me oh its this whole computer complicated thing and he said that he will charge me 110 again if i want to have no drls. So what should i do? I cant afford another 110 lol im a college student and plus im trying to save up for an exhaust.
I'm in the process of retrofitting a set of OEM HID headlights on my 2012 Mustang and I agree it's been a big pain in the butt. To get around the DRL issue I've decided to bypass the stock wiring completely and install two new relays harnesses, wiring and headlight adaptors . I'm going to use the Sidemarker lights to trigger the relays switches.

I came to this solution because I had to consider restoring the car to stock when I trade it in in the future. ( dealer would be wary of a car that has a cut and splice aftermarket job done) The beauty of setting up a parallel wiring harness is that I can leave the stock wiring system in place ( I only have to make one splice in to the sidemarker wire) . When I sell my car I can restore it to factory set up. I've spent way to much time researching this topic so feel free to ask questions..
DLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLI View Post
I'm in the process of retrofitting a set of OEM HID headlights on my 2012 Mustang and I agree it's been a big pain in the butt. To get around the DRL issue I've decided to bypass the stock wiring completely and install two new relays harnesses, wiring and headlight adaptors . I'm going to use the Sidemarker lights to trigger the relays switches.

I came to this solution because I had to consider restoring the car to stock when I trade it in in the future. ( dealer would be wary of a car that has a cut and splice aftermarket job done) The beauty of setting up a parallel wiring harness is that I can leave the stock wiring system in place ( I only have to make one splice in to the sidemarker wire) . When I sell my car I can restore it to factory set up. I've spent way to much time researching this topic so feel free to ask questions..
Did you get the factory housings and ballasts too? That must have cost you a bunch....probably not the $900 i paid to have the car come with it from factory though.

I found out that my daytime driving if my headlights are on auto, only my fog lights stay on and act as my drl's it looks pretty neat. I wonder if automatic mustangs with factory hid behave the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang