Is there a turbo option yet for the 3.7L V6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Is there a turbo option yet for the 3.7L V6?

Is anyone making a kit yet for the 3.7? I am going to be getting a 2013 it looks like this summer - and I hate to give up my positive displacement blower on the 4.0 but it appears that the valley is too narrow for any of the blowers out there.

So I'm considering moving to a turbo on this car. But so far I haven't found anyone making a turbo kit specifically for the 3.7. I can find one for the 5.0, but no 3.7 yet. Am I just not searching properly?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Is there a turbo option yet for the 3.7L V6?

I've only seen the supercharger, but there might be something out there...to be honest, I am just curious about the market for one. I know some might argue the other virtues of a S/C or turbo, but I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't have put that money towards a GT and then, down the road, throw a turbo or S/C on the 5.0!

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If your looking for FI, you should just grab the procharger. I'm not sure how much power your trying to make but theres some pretty decent gains from it. But haven't seen any turbo options yet. But they'll come, I'm sure.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
If your looking for FI, you should just grab the procharger. I'm not sure how much power your trying to make but theres some pretty decent gains from it. But haven't seen any turbo options yet. But they'll come, I'm sure.
I would like to do the procharger to my wifes 12 v6 gets you to 475 at the crank with 8psi
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

As far as the "why not the 5.0" argument - that isn't what I'm looking for. Taking a supercharged 4.0 V6 like I have now, and beating up on the Camaro's and then having them realize it was a 6 that just beat them is great. The 3.7 is a good platform and has already been put into the 11's with the procharger.

And the 5.0 will cost another $5,000 - then another couple thousand with a supercharger (that I know I will end up spending on top of the initial cost) only to have 'another modified V8' in the end. I like having people look under the hood and then step back and say "what a second, this is a 6".

I prefer a positive displacement blower, but it doesn't look like the 3.7 will handle one. The heads aren't far enough apart from what I can see to fit the blower and intercooler. So I can go with the procharger, but the centri blowers are basically a belt driven turbo so I'd rather go with the turbo when one becomes available.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
As far as the "why not the 5.0" argument - that isn't what I'm looking for. Taking a supercharged 4.0 V6 like I have now, and beating up on the Camaro's and then having them realize it was a 6 that just beat them is great. The 3.7 is a good platform and has already been put into the 11's with the procharger.

And the 5.0 will cost another $5,000 - then another couple thousand with a supercharger (that I know I will end up spending on top of the initial cost) only to have 'another modified V8' in the end. I like having people look under the hood and then step back and say "what a second, this is a 6".

I prefer a positive displacement blower, but it doesn't look like the 3.7 will handle one. The heads aren't far enough apart from what I can see to fit the blower and intercooler. So I can go with the procharger, but the centri blowers are basically a belt driven turbo so I'd rather go with the turbo when one becomes available.
Whatever floats your boat. I am sure after 5 years/60,000 miles, I'll probably have the itch to look into it myself.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

My current car has 200,800 on it with a blower on it since 90,000 miles on it and it runs mid 12's. At least two people have put the 3.7 into the 11's with the procharger, and I'm not looking to put another convertible any quicker than that since it will require a full cage which I don't want to add.

There are a couple of turbo option under development I've found out and that will be another option it looks like - plus I was talking with a friend this past weekend who does aftermarket development (has a really nice car he did for SEMA this year with the procharger) about maybe developing a turbo system with him. So maybe it will become an option.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

CFM is working on a turbo kit but its not ready yet. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the centrifugal supercharger.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

ive not seen a mainstream one yet
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Do you think the 3.7 will be a 200k motor?
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Why not? With proper maintenance any engine is capable.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Not a dodge 2.7 lol
iwalkaline58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang