Update on My Tune Situation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Update on My Tune Situation

I've said it before, but I figured I would update you guys on my tune saga -- and yes, it's a saga -- as well as solicit some advice for next steps.

I bought my Stang back in May of 2011 and, at the time, "settled" for an automatic. My must haves going into the Mustang search were 1) Premium and 2) Manual. Unfortunately, I just could not find any V6s that met all of my criteria but saw a gorgeous ingot silver MCA and pulled the trigger. I have to say that the automatic has definitely grown on me, and the only thing that really bothered me about it was the throttle delay.

So I figured a tune was the way to go. Everyone said it fixed the throttle response and added more power. What's not to love, right? Well, I was a little gunshy at first after reading about all of the potential warranty pitfalls but after installing gears, I knew I needed it anyhow and took the plunge.

Throttle response was definitely improved, and the car was more lively, but something just didn't feel exactly right. I datalogged my tune and sent it back to BAMA. They sent out another tune, and I datalogged. Still not right. Finally sent out a third revision, telling me that my computer wasn't accurately recognizing WOT such that the WOT fuel tables weren't activated. To compensate for this, BAMA had to pull some spark.

Finally, I got around to datalogging on the stock tune, and lo and behold my computer STILL doesn't go to the WOT fuel tables. BAMA suggested that I go to the Ford dealership and get them to update my PCM, but how do I ask for that? I certainly can't say that I've been going back and forth with BAMA tuners who suggested that I get the PCM updated after discovering that the computer doesn't recognize WOT, right?

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Hmm.. Well they will already know that you've done something, since you've got exhaust, and CAI intake, I'd go back to Sandy Springs Ford, or up to Cherokee Ford they seem to be the ones I have the best luck with. Just tell the advisor what's going on.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

You can also get somone to send it to you in a zip file ( I think.) if they have access to a special Ford site. You can also spend $600 and buy access to it.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Update on My Tune Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Hmm.. Well they will already know that you've done something, since you've got exhaust, and CAI intake, I'd go back to Sandy Springs Ford, or up to Cherokee Ford they seem to be the ones I have the best luck with. Just tell the advisor what's going on.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

You can also get somone to send it to you in a zip file ( I think.) if they have access to a special Ford site. You can also spend $600 and buy access to it.
I have no idea if they noted it or not, but when I took her in for her first oil change back in September, I had the CAI on there.

If I got the ZIP file, would I just upload it to my tuner like the stock tune or something? How would I upload it to the PCM? I think I would feel better letting Ford do it.

Should I leave the CAI on or replace with stock?

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

I have no idea if they noted it or not, but when I took her in for her first oil change back in September, I had the CAI on there.

If I got the ZIP file, would I just upload it to my tuner like the stock tune or something? How would I upload it to the PCM? I think I would feel better letting Ford do it.

Should I leave the CAI on or replace with stock?
Correct you load it onto a tuner, and follow the directions, I've never done it, but I live dangerously sometimes.

I think you'd be fine leaving it the way it is. I'd tell them the issues your having, slow acceleration, etc, and say I was reading there is a PCM update out. I think they'd work with you.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Correct you load it onto a tuner, and follow the directions, I've never done it, but I live dangerously sometimes.

I think you'd be fine leaving it the way it is. I'd tell them the issues your having, slow acceleration, etc, and say I was reading there is a PCM update out. I think they'd work with you.
Is there a list of TSBs for the 2011 V6? The last one I recall Ford issuing was the unilateral "be warned about mods because we'll screw you" issue that came out after all of the Coyote engines were having issues.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

Is there a list of TSBs for the 2011 V6? The last one I recall Ford issuing was the unilateral "be warned about mods because we'll screw you" issue that came out after all of the Coyote engines were having issues.
I think it's NHTSA that lists those.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Just tell tell ford that u had a computer hooked to it and it threw a code saying it was having trouble with ........
And id set it to stock before i went bc i think that would be the first thing they will put the blame on. Imo
Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
Just tell tell ford that u had a computer hooked to it and it threw a code saying it was having trouble with ........
And id set it to stock before i went bc i think that would be the first thing they will put the blame on. Imo
Yeah, I have had it on stock since last Saturday. Should have technically gone through a complete drive cycle. Then again, they know that I have 3.73 gears on it, and if it weren't tuned, my mileage would be WAY jacked up.

My opinion is that if it is having issues on the stock tune, the issue is a Ford issue.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I agree on that
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
I agree on that
+ 1. I think you will be fine.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Calling the dealership today and hope to take her in tomorrow. Today will probably be too crazy.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Took her into the dealership today. Technician couldn't hear any of the issues that I thought were pinging or potentially pinging -- apparently, he thought they sounded like the raspy parts of the exhaust...

Anyhow, I was told that they reflashed the PCM; so, I datalogged again and am sending them off to BAMA. I figured, though, that I would check and see what kind of values you guys have gotten for your st_fuel trim under WOT. Any numbers? Mine get as high as 1.07 or so. No movement from lt_fuel trim.

Normal or do I maybe have jacked up O2 sensors?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Datalogged again and sent off to BAMA. They said everything looked like it was good to go, BUT my computer value changed; so, now it's no longer what's on the ECU sticker. Going to datalog the new tune today just to make sure everything is good to go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang