After market HIDs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stacks Warmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 39
After market HIDs

So I just ordered a HID conversion kit off of eBay for $59. I got the bi xenon 55 w 6000k bulbs. Can't wait to have them installed. A buddy of mine told me to stay away from some of the kits on eBay but I thought it was a good deal. What do you guys think? Anyone else have HIDs?
Stacks Warmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I got some from ebay same price too . But mine are 10000k . They look cool . And are very bright. But my.wire harnes that come with it was messing up. After a week it started not turning off when i cut my lights off. So i would have to pull the fuse the kit.come. With just to shut my lights off. But the people said they would send me a replacment . Well that same day my headlight went out. So they said they would send me a replacment of that also. Its been 2 months or so and they keep sending.me the bulb with no harness. So iv go a spare bulb now and the harness is on its way again. But they are easy to install
Sorry about spelling hard type on phone.
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
silvrbullet2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 622
I have some 6K on mine and awesome they are!!! Mine from amazon and cost me 60.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3692413737.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	50027   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2586539082.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	50028  

silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
They do look good did the fog lights come with them
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 704
Re: After market HIDs

I have aftermarket hids on my 99 infiniti qx4..for 4 years. They have so many problems and things breaking that the $900 factory hid option on my stang was a must. 99 percent of the hid kits on ebay are made at the same factory in china. A few years back i found the website that sells the kits in wholesale...same parts but 100 different box and packaging styles for the wholesaler to choose from.

To start the xenon bulb the ballast requires a blast of thousands of volts initially for miliseconds. If there were to be a malfunction your car will catch on fire, i wonder if insurance would cover this. Or if fords warranty would cover melted wiring.

I also constantly kept getting brights flashed at me in the qx4. also the light output is horrible in the rain. The blue makes you think you see better but you really dont.

Most importantly. The cutoff/beam pattern. The proper projectors make a world of difference. When i see the blinding aftermarket hids on other stangs i cringe. The factory hids not only give off a perfect bluish white tone, they also have a direct cutoff of light. Park your stang next to one with real hids, its like a blowup doll vs Adriana Lima. Do it right or leave it stock.

i spent 4 years convincing myself the $100 i spent on the ebay hids were fine. Even though i went through 5 bulbs, 3 ballasts and 2 fuses. Then i got my stang, and i felt like an idiot. Best $900 ever.

Look at this photo...im head on...in broad daylight, no glare and the ground is lit! Ill take pics at night sometime
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
silvrbullet2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
They do look good did the fog lights come with them
Na. I got those from autozone. Cheap upgrade but makes it look sweet mid-day.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
I have aftermarket hids on my 99 infiniti qx4..for 4 years. They have so many problems and things breaking that the $900 factory hid option on my stang was a must. 99 percent of the hid kits on ebay are made at the same factory in china. A few years back i found the website that sells the kits in wholesale...same parts but 100 different box and packaging styles for the wholesaler to choose from.

To start the xenon bulb the ballast requires a blast of thousands of volts initially for miliseconds. If there were to be a malfunction your car will catch on fire, i wonder if insurance would cover this. Or if fords warranty would cover melted wiring.

I also constantly kept getting brights flashed at me in the qx4. also the light output is horrible in the rain. The blue makes you think you see better but you really dont.

Most importantly. The cutoff/beam pattern. The proper projectors make a world of difference. When i see the blinding aftermarket hids on other stangs i cringe. The factory hids not only give off a perfect bluish white tone, they also have a direct cutoff of light. Park your stang next to one with real hids, its like a blowup doll vs Adriana Lima. Do it right or leave it stock.

i spent 4 years convincing myself the $100 i spent on the ebay hids were fine. Even though i went through 5 bulbs, 3 ballasts and 2 fuses. Then i got my stang, and i felt like an idiot. Best $900 ever.

Look at this photo...im head on...in broad daylight, no glare and the ground is lit! Ill take pics at night sometime
Thank you. An intelligent person finally
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stacks Warmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 39
Ughhh hope I didn't make a bad mistake then
Stacks Warmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
I have aftermarket hids on my 99 infiniti qx4..for 4 years. They have so many problems and things breaking that the $900 factory hid option on my stang was a must. 99 percent of the hid kits on ebay are made at the same factory in china. A few years back i found the website that sells the kits in wholesale...same parts but 100 different box and packaging styles for the wholesaler to choose from.

To start the xenon bulb the ballast requires a blast of thousands of volts initially for miliseconds. If there were to be a malfunction your car will catch on fire, i wonder if insurance would cover this. Or if fords warranty would cover melted wiring.

I also constantly kept getting brights flashed at me in the qx4. also the light output is horrible in the rain. The blue makes you think you see better but you really dont.

Most importantly. The cutoff/beam pattern. The proper projectors make a world of difference. When i see the blinding aftermarket hids on other stangs i cringe. The factory hids not only give off a perfect bluish white tone, they also have a direct cutoff of light. Park your stang next to one with real hids, its like a blowup doll vs Adriana Lima. Do it right or leave it stock.

i spent 4 years convincing myself the $100 i spent on the ebay hids were fine. Even though i went through 5 bulbs, 3 ballasts and 2 fuses. Then i got my stang, and i felt like an idiot. Best $900 ever.

Look at this photo...im head on...in broad daylight, no glare and the ground is lit! Ill take pics at night sometime
That is an awesome ****ing picture. Throw down the gauntlet!
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stacks Warmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 39
Gotta say, I do love them. Was not disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3583869010.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	51475  
Stacks Warmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
my hids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120522_172035.png
Views:	189
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	51476  
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 704
Re: After market HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
my hids.
See Corey, you proved my point, along with the photo just before yours....you cant make out the headlights, there is just a giant blur of light. See in your photo, the less prominent shade of light above your headlight pattern, thats glare. Keep in mind you are only a few feet from that wall...move back and that glare just gets bigger. That isnt light that is going to the ground, that is light that is blinding other drivers. On a dark night, on a two lane road, an oncomer who had too much to drink or too little sleep will veer right into the giant orbs of light, its human nature.

If you want HID's then do it right with projectors or OEM setups. Here is my HID's

This photo was taken about 6 inches from the bulb, about a half inch above the direct beam of light, no glare, I can make out the entire area around the light.


Here is a head on view at night, I can make out the car, no giant orbs of light, ground is fully lit and I am not blinded.


And finally, a TRUE cutoff pattern, I am about 3 feet from my garage, and there is a clear line allllll the way across the wall. There is a slight greenish/rainbow on the line where the cutoff occurs, and no other light above that line.


I really am not trying to be a jerk here, I just get annoyed that people call what you guys install "HID"...High Intensity Discharge, yes, high intensity glare discharge, the light isn't dispersed properly anywhere, it defeats the purpose of why HID's were engineered in the first place. Imagine taking an old CRT tube tv, then using construction paper to throw black horizontal bars across the top and bottom of the frame, then telling your friends its an HDTV, that is what you have just done to your car.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012

Na. I got those from autozone. Cheap upgrade but makes it look sweet mid-day.
How much were they at autozone where they hard to put in? Would they work with my stock fog lights?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
the glare is not any less with stock head lights this was before i put the kit on .and i have been infront of my.car at.night.in my wifes car and never had any.trouble seeing. but hey they where 35 bucks . they are paid for and not financed . lmao.
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120522_192644.png
Views:	194
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	51484





pic
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stacks Warmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: New York
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

See Corey, you proved my point, along with the photo just before yours....you cant make out the headlights, there is just a giant blur of light. See in your photo, the less prominent shade of light above your headlight pattern, thats glare. Keep in mind you are only a few feet from that wall...move back and that glare just gets bigger. That isnt light that is going to the ground, that is light that is blinding other drivers. On a dark night, on a two lane road, an oncomer who had too much to drink or too little sleep will veer right into the giant orbs of light, its human nature.

If you want HID's then do it right with projectors or OEM setups. Here is my HID's

This photo was taken about 6 inches from the bulb, about a half inch above the direct beam of light, no glare, I can make out the entire area around the light.

Here is a head on view at night, I can make out the car, no giant orbs of light, ground is fully lit and I am not blinded.

And finally, a TRUE cutoff pattern, I am about 3 feet from my garage, and there is a clear line allllll the way across the wall. There is a slight greenish/rainbow on the line where the cutoff occurs, and no other light above that line.

I really am not trying to be a jerk here, I just get annoyed that people call what you guys install "HID"...High Intensity Discharge, yes, high intensity glare discharge, the light isn't dispersed properly anywhere, it defeats the purpose of why HID's were engineered in the first place. Imagine taking an old CRT tube tv, then using construction paper to throw black horizontal bars across the top and bottom of the frame, then telling your friends its an HDTV, that is what you have just done to your car.
And you are entitled to your opinion, considering I asked at the beginning of the thread. But to compare my car to an old television I have to disagree with you there.

And as Curtin said, I spent 59 bucks on them and not 900 as an extra option. So considering the price, I am satisfied.
Stacks Warmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 704
Re: After market HIDs

I know 900 sounds like alot but i have had hids like you guys have. Im coming from both sides of the fence here, i have seen the difference on both ends! That is WHY i shelled out the extra money for true hids.

And i wasn't dissing your car, i was dissing the idea of using a good technology in the wrong way.

I wish you guys lived near me i would have you come side by side to my car and i guarantee you would understand what i mean. My other car still has the hids in non projectors and its horrid compared to the stang. Im switching those back to halogen when i get the chance. The pics i posted show a huge difference in cutoff pattern and glare but you guys are ignoring that. I was just trying to show you what the true hid setup looks like.

I am all for anybody improving their ride, especially something as critical as lighting and visibility, but these kits in regular housings are a hazard to you and others on the road. You looking at them and saying they look fine, or same glare as halogen is just your mind telling you it was $35 well spent, or $864 saved. Meanwhile there is a clear difference in the photos (no pun intended). Aftermarket projector housings do exist, you dont have to spend $900.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
silvrbullet2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

How much were they at autozone where they hard to put in? Would they work with my stock fog lights?
I got them for 30 bucks. And I just wired them to the battery and the switch that comes with it inside the cabin threw the fire wall. I just riveted them onto a piece of car.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991

pic
Definitely not as good quality as stock but definitely better looking in my opinion I love aftermarket way better than stock!!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012

I got them for 30 bucks. And I just wired them to the battery and the switch that comes with it inside the cabin threw the fire wall. I just riveted them onto a piece of car.
Nice! I might just do that
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Re: After market HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Definitely not as good quality as stock but definitely better looking in my opinion I love aftermarket way better than stock!!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------



Nice! I might just do that
thanks nicholas, i agree the color is what i like .

And the kit i got does not use a switch it plugs into the stock harnes and runs on my stock switch. verry simple to instal .
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991

thanks nicholas, i agree the color is what i like .

And the kit i got does not use a switch it plugs into the stock harnes and runs on my stock switch. verry simple to instal .
Same as me but I got 6000k I think white looks better with grabber but 10000k look sick! with red IMO
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #22
Registered User
Newbie
 
Rykenknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Maryland
Posts: 12
Trying to find the best HID's for my 2012 grabber blue too much wildlife and id like to be able to see as far as possible lol
Rykenknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: California
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
So I just ordered a HID conversion kit off of eBay for $59. I got the bi xenon 55 w 6000k bulbs. Can't wait to have them installed. A buddy of mine told me to stay away from some of the kits on eBay but I thought it was a good deal. What do you guys think? Anyone else have HIDs?
they last just dont touch the bulds and u can installed them your self is very eazy

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

who cares if other people gets mad because u have better visavility with ur hids as long as u can see the hole street ahead hcfstf them
cookiemonster69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
JSchu22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 228
Re: After market HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster69 View Post
who cares if other people gets mad because u have better visavility with ur hids as long as u can see the hole street ahead hcfstf them
Yeah, who cares if people driving in the opposite direction as you can't see.

I just hope if they hit you, their airbags work and yours fail. Then there'd be less ignorance AND horrid spelling in the world.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykenknight
Trying to find the best HID's for my 2012 grabber blue too much wildlife and id like to be able to see as far as possible lol
Buy the oem units from Ford. Definitely the best ones out there for your car.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 704
Re: After market HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22 View Post
Yeah, who cares if people driving in the opposite direction as you can't see.

I just hope if they hit you, their airbags work and yours fail. Then there'd be less ignorance AND horrid spelling in the world.
+1.

Talk of these kits should be banned on this forum, just like street racing. Its dumb, and its illegal. Threads like these just promote the modification and ive had it with all the light pollution on the roads from these fake hids. Do it right or dont do it at all.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22

Yeah, who cares if people driving in the opposite direction as you can't see.

I just hope if they hit you, their airbags work and yours fail. Then there'd be less ignorance AND horrid spelling in the world.
Oh man. That's a little harsh don't you think? lol
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
JSchu22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 228
Re: After market HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Oh man. That's a little harsh don't you think? lol
I like to think of it as Natural Selection.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22

I like to think of it as Natural Selection.
Haha, that's bad but funny
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
silvrbullet2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 622
Not everyone has money to blow on just OEM HID headlights. 900 bucks. That's a lot. I rather spend my 70 bucks to get better lighting and looks rather than a few bills just to be stock. Don't get me wrong I like the look but not everyone got that certain package for the lights.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
JSchu22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 228
Re: After market HIDs

Then don't buy it. If I don't have the money for an exhaust system, I'm not going pull the cats off as a viable substitute.

Responsible people understand that there are just some things that you can have sometimes.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:31 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.