Help with - LED Dome Lights... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Help with - LED Dome Lights...

So I got some LED dome lights, installed them and they stayed slightly illuminated. I was told to add resistors which I had someone do for me, and now they will only light when I press the dome light button (not when the doors open like standard ones do). Could this be fuse related or did something get fried? Anyone with input would be awesome, I wanna avoid having to take her to a shop.
v6MustangGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I put blue ones in mine and they stayed on the first time but then I realized I had accidentally flicked my dimmer switch up next to the steering wheel. But other than that mine work fine. You shouldn't need to put resistors in?
Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
iv had some in mine for months and when the car is on and you look close they have a slight.glow to them . (not all the way off) but when i cut the car off the glow goes away after a bit. never had ant trouble.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

any*
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Help with - LED Dome Lights...

Some led bulbs have resistors built in, otherwise you must install one. You cant just throw any resistor in there it has to be a calculated value. If the resistance is too high the led will be very dim, too low it will be very bright and eventually burn out. If you bought bulbs that say they require a resistor...its not a quality one.

As for why it stays on when door open id have to see a wiring diagram to figure it out.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I paid $40 for the LED lights from Recon (figured they would be quality bulbs for that price). I was given the impression it was a DIY install and no resistors needed just plug and play, wasn't the case. For one I couldn't figure out the exact ohm I needed, and while trying to guess that the wiring got screwed up trying to make it work. I ended up buying more LED bulbs that stated they already had resistors, and they seem okay other than now that they won't come on when the door opens (it's a pain at night). I suppose I'll have to cave and take her to a shop, just makes me nervous leaving her to get worked on if I don't know the people personally. I'd like to figure it out myself for future reference but that's not working out so well..
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6MustangGurl
So I got some LED dome lights, installed them and they stayed slightly illuminated. I was told to add resistors which I had someone do for me, and now they will only light when I press the dome light button (not when the doors open like standard ones do). Could this be fuse related or did something get fried? Anyone with input would be awesome, I wanna avoid having to take her to a shop.
Does the led slightly staying on bother you or are you worried that it'll hurt your battery?

I've got some SMD LED's in my dome lights and they do the same thing. I've had them over 2 years and no battery problems.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Does the led slightly staying on bother you or are you worried that it'll hurt your battery?

I've got some SMD LED's in my dome lights and they do the same thing. I've had them over 2 years and no battery problems.
same here.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6MustangGurl
so went you said they were slightly iluminated you mean went the car is on rigth but went u turn the car off they go off? its kind of normal now adays with newer cars and also because leds are really sensitive that if you toch them whit your hands wile not installed in the car you can see them ligth up a tinybit, is normal if the car is on like I said there very sensitive by 0.1 volt you can berly see them on as long as there not on went car is off
pepitochulo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Primor2tone - yes I was worried about battery power, and then after trying to add the resistors the wiring got messed up in the process.. Do you know if I could get another wiring harness for the dome lights? Thought maybe I could do that and kind of start over..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitochulo69

so went you said they were slightly iluminated you mean went the car is on rigth but went u turn the car off they go off? its kind of normal now adays with newer cars and also because leds are really sensitive that if you toch them whit your hands wile not installed in the car you can see them ligth up a tinybit, is normal if the car is on like I said there very sensitive by 0.1 volt you can berly see them on as long as there not on went car is off
Yes they stayed on even when the car was turned off, doors were to closed and everything. Again it was pretty faintly lit but still there.

And thanks for your guys help because I'm pretty clueless with this wiring junk :/
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

the Green ones I got on eBay with 9 LED untis per bulb...had built in resistor as they only worked plugged in one way...and work well with the dimmer switch (kind of shocked at that)...so far so good. got LEDs on order for the trunk and plate lights. Our cops dont mind as long as they can see your plate around here....
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If they stay dimly illuminated they wont drain your battery. Led's take a tiny current (usually a few miliwatts) whereas a regular bulb takes a watt or two since it operates by heating a filament.

But why take it to a shop? The lights should work normally if you put the stock ones back in.....i dont like led. I converted my other rides whole interior to led, they arent reliable and dont do as good a job as regular bulbs for lighting up spaces. I ended up putting a 30 bulb dome light in to get satisfactory lighting but then everyone complained its too bright if you look at the light.

Check your ground connection though, a weak ground could cause the issues you are talking about.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Gtzzoom - that's awesome!! The cops here aren't so chill about those sort if things here in NC.

And Stig so I put regular bulbs back in, and also found a blown fuse. So now one will come on when the doors open but then won't dim out just stays fully lit. and the other only comes on when I click the light button.. I checked all the wires and they seem to be connected good.. maybe another fuse? I'm thinking something is still off with the wiring :/ A bunch of bs for some little lights!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6MustangGurl View Post
Gtzzoom - that's awesome!! The cops here aren't so chill about those sort if things here in NC.

And Stig so I put regular bulbs back in, and also found a blown fuse. So now one will come on when the doors open but then won't dim out just stays fully lit. and the other only comes on when I click the light button.. I checked all the wires and they seem to be connected good.. maybe another fuse? I'm thinking something is still off with the wiring :/ A bunch of bs for some little lights!!!
Hmmm what was the blown fuse for? And did you replace it? Do you still get a door ajar chime?

Lets work on getting your stock bulbs working properly, as the leds are what caused the problem. Leds are not meant to be dimmed, they operate at two levels, on or ofd, anything in between their optimum current load will decrease the life of the bulb and possibly cause failures like these.

This car is still very new to me but below is the diagram for the circuit in question from the FSM, the dimmer has two positive leads, the dome light has one, both tied to same ground. It sounds like you wired in your LED, so its pretty easy to make a mistake here. The problem is that there is a "smart junction box", I think I built a circuit like this in college, it uses logic to control the lights and door chime based on variables of the key being in the ignition, headlights left on, door ajar, etc. I really hope you didn't damage this if that is what the "smart junction box" is. I've never taken a close look at the dome light, Is it one ballast bulb (twist in) or is it wired in? If you could take a photo of the LED/resistor/wiring/any thing else it may help me in helping you.

Checked out another wiring diagram pertaining to the map lights, which fuse did you change? F9 (15A), F10 (15A), F11 (10A) and F25 (10A) all affect interior lighting. Notice the "interior lighting FET"..If something like this is wired to your Dome light that is possibly the problem (right now im too lazy to go to my car but Im confused if the dome light IS the map lights lol) FET's (Field Effect Transistors) can easily be damaged if the load (the LED) is sucking up too much current.

If the lights in question are the "map lights" The diagram above tells me everything I need to know about your problem. From what I understand, one bulb only comes on with the switch, not if door is open etc, there must be a short between yellow and pink (with black stripe) OR more likely, yellow is not present. Or a switch is reversed (if thats even possible in this car). You're making me want to rip mine apart to find out! It's hard troubleshooting electrical unless the circuit is in front of me
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Okay I only found F25 - Demand Lighting blown (which I replaced w/10A). And yeah I've already put stock bulbs back in (led lights aren't worth this much trouble imo). I'll pass the diagrams to my brother because he will probably better understand them, myself no so much lol

And this is what I'm working with...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-20 20.01.20.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	927.6 KB
ID:	51231  
Old 05-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Its hard to make out but whats that on the left side light in the middle of the whiteish wire....is that the resistor you had installed?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No that is just where my brother had mended the wire back together, we just took the resistors off completely.

But they looked like this.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i know what a resistor looks like its hard to tell from the photo if it was present. He should have his hands cut off though no offense, thats some shotty soldering. Did he calculate the resistance (resistance = voltage / current) before choosing the resistor?

Double check that those wires he mended back together have proper continuity with a meter, if they are ok and nothing else was modified it looks like your problem will lie within the sjb
Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know.. but he was trying to help me out, and yes he did calculate them to get the correct ohm which fixed them from staying slightly illuminated but then I started having the other wiring issues. I will check the wires that were soldered together when I get a chance tomorrow sometime! Thanks for helping me by process of elimination!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I know.. but he was trying to help me out, and yes he did calculate them to get the correct ohm which fixed them from staying slightly illuminated but then I started having the other wiring issues. I will check the wires that were soldered together when I get a chance tomorrow sometime! Thanks for helping me by process of elimination!
No prob, process of elimination is the only way to fix electrical issues, its all logic. Real hard via text and grainy pics tho :p

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

Sounds like parasitic current from our lovely dirty dc circuitry. A resistor tied in parallel or a diode in parallel should bleed this off, but it doesnt seem to bother you so rock on!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

haha very true, when I get the bad boy fixed I'm not messing with the dome lighting ever again!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Btw mustagggurl tomorrow check if the battery saver option still works, im curious if that relay is still alive. Leave the dome light on via the switch and it should shut off on its own in 10-30 mins until you put the key in again and turn to ACC.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

This topic takes me back everyone....I built this circuit in college back in 2009! The circuit is timed to shut headlights and interior lights off in ~10 seconds once key is removed. If the key present, a chime/buzz will occur to remind you your keys are in ignition with door ajar. Take it from me, these circuits are not meant to have LED's, they are engineered for filament bulbs, just leave it alone if you don't know what your doing.

Video:
Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #22
Road Trip!

any car can accep leds dont matter if is chevy or bmw, he probebly got thouse cheap *** leds that they sell , just do what I do , I buy thouse led strips that autozone sells for like $20 bucks you can cut them any size and solder it use it in domeligths , door ligths, trunk , and even under door handles or hood, they last years , I been installing them on most off my clients and never had any problem

---------- Post added at 02:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

is much cheaper instead of buying $5 each led for your car went you have around six bulds total to replace plus they dont last , and whit the strips you can have around 12 sections of three leds in each section and put as much leds as you want or have some left for another car
pepitochulo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #23

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Okay,here's the solution. I have a 2010 Mustang. Just installed LED dome lights. Yes,they DO stay very dim...however, after TEN MINUTES, THEY GO COMPLETELY OFF.
Just be patient, they will go OFF. You know how the radio and power windows will work after the key is removed and it turns off in ten minutes? Same thing with the LED DOME LIGHTS. No need to do anything, just check them in ten minutes, you'll see that they will indeed go completely out on their own. I hope this was helpful or everyone who has experienced the dim glow of the dome lights.
Mustang_Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:38 AM   #24

Region: Georgia
Dome Lights stay dim after changing to LED

Hi Mustang owners,
Just installed new LED dome lights. YES,they do stay dim, however they will go completely OFF in ten minutes,I promise you. Just like the radio will work,the power windows will work,so will the LEDs, and after TEN MINUTES...THEO WILL GO COMPLETELY OFF. Just wanted to share this so nobody panics when this occurs. All this resistor stuff is not necessary, at least not in a 2010, this I promise you!!
Mustang_Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Dug up a 2012 post, and answered an old question. Good for anyone who has this issue and searches on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang