Opinions on best turbo/SC? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Opinions on best turbo/SC?

I'm looking to get one or the other. Any one have a TC or SC? What are the pros and cons of both? Feedback on what you have? I'm on a budget, but I want to get a pretty decent amount of power. What would be my best bet?

I have a 2010 V6 by the way.
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford
TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well that helps! -.-
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Lol yeah thats what i would do more power and better sound
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford
Lol yeah thats what i would do more power and better sound
I do like the sound better. But why do you say more power?
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Because a turbo doesn't have the parasitic drag from a belt turning it. A supercharger requires power to make power.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Opinions on best turbo/SC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
I'm looking to get one or the other. Any one have a TC or SC? What are the pros and cons of both? Feedback on what you have? I'm on a budget, but I want to get a pretty decent amount of power. What would be my best bet?

I have a 2010 V6 by the way.
A TC system will cost more and is more complicated, BUT I think the benefits ultimately outweigh the extra cost and installation difficulties.


1. TC uses normally wasted exhaust heat and pressure to build boost to feed the engine.
2. A TC is "easier" on the engine as it does not introduce any side loading or unwanted harmonics into the crankshaft like a belt driven SC will do.
3. A TC has a lot less "parasitic" power loss than an SC. (i.e. It doesn't use as much engine power to make power.)
4. The waste gate (BOV) whoosh! is just plain COOL!


An ECO Boost engine swap into your car would be really cool, power and gas mileage, but probably prohibitively expensive at this point.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Hmm. I know how they work. Lol. Why would someone even bother getting a SC then? What are the benefits of having one? How much hp can you get out of a TC/SC. I'm worried about price, gas milage (I know it won't be great regardless), horsepower, and how much wear and tear it will do on my baby.
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Opinions on best turbo/SC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
Hmm. I know how they work. Lol. Why would someone even bother getting a SC then? What are the benefits of having one? How much hp can you get out of a TC/SC. I'm worried about price, gas milage (I know it won't be great regardless), horsepower, and how much wear and tear it will do on my baby.
1. Why would someone even bother getting a SC then?
They are cheaper and easier to install. Also depending on whether you choose a centrifugal or roots style an SC can make power from almost idle on up. A roots style supercharger is usually chosen for this reason as it will make power in the lower RPM ranges where street cars are normally driven.


2. What are the benefits of having one?
Same as a TC, they just won't make quite as much all out HP due to the parasitic loss differences. Also for power in the lower RPM ranges with the roots style superchargers.


3. How much hp can you get out of a TC/SC?
Depends upon how much boost your chosen forced induction can make and what your engine, fuel, exhaust and air intake systems can support. Normal low boost of 6-8 psi might net you between 50-100 HP gain. With properly built engine and configured systems, you are only limited by the cubic dollars you want to spend.


4. I'm worried about price, gas milage (I know it won't be great regardless), horsepower, and how much wear and tear it will do on my baby?
Price will be affected by system quality and capabilities. I'd start by researching to see what is available specifically for your car.
Gas mileage won't be a big issue unless you are constantly deep in the throttle and building boost. Normal driving will likely show very little decrease in MPG.
Wear & Tear will also be governed by how hard you run it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

1. Why would someone even bother getting a SC then?
They are cheaper and easier to install. Also depending on whether you choose a centrifugal or roots style an SC can make power from almost idle on up. A roots style supercharger is usually chosen for this reason as it will make power in the lower RPM ranges where street cars are normally driven.

2. What are the benefits of having one?
Same as a TC, they just won't make quite as much all out HP due to the parasitic loss differences. Also for power in the lower RPM ranges with the roots style superchargers.

3. How much hp can you get out of a TC/SC?
Depends upon how much boost your chosen forced induction can make and what your engine, fuel, exhaust and air intake systems can support. Normal low boost of 6-8 psi might net you between 50-100 HP gain. With properly built engine and configured systems, you are only limited by the cubic dollars you want to spend.

4. I'm worried about price, gas milage (I know it won't be great regardless), horsepower, and how much wear and tear it will do on my baby?
Price will be affected by system quality and capabilities. I'd start by researching to see what is available specifically for your car.
Gas mileage won't be a big issue unless you are constantly deep in the throttle and building boost. Normal driving will likely show very little decrease in MPG.
Wear & Tear will also be governed by how hard you run it.
Okay. Thank you so much, really appreciate the detailed answer. Are there any specific TCs you've worked with or used and like? What would you recommend for my car?
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

Well that helps! -.-
I'd go turbo. That helps?
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Opinions on best turbo/SC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
Okay. Thank you so much, really appreciate the detailed answer. Are there any specific TCs you've worked with or used and like? What would you recommend for my car?
You are welcome.


I haven't any personal experience yet, but one of our members in the 79-95 forums Jay Kranz has used the On3 turbo kit on his car with decent results providing you upgrade the turbo when ordering.
If you go to the 79-95 forums there is a sticky thread on Superchargers and Turbos.
In the thread are some links to various manufacturers if you wish to check them out.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You are welcome.

I haven't any personal experience yet, but one of our members in the 79-95 forums Jay Kranz has used the On3 turbo kit on his car with decent results providing you upgrade the turbo when ordering.
If you go to the 79-95 forums there is a sticky thread on Superchargers and Turbos.
In the thread are some links to various manufacturers if you wish to check them out.
Sounds good. I'll check it out!

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout

I'd go turbo. That helps?
Lol. Sorta? I love the sound of a spooling turbo butttt supercharged sounds a lot more bad ***. From what I've heard (outside of this forum) they generate more power. I'll have to do my research though.
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

Sounds good. I'll check it out!

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------



Lol. Sorta? I love the sound of a spooling turbo butttt supercharged sounds a lot more bad ***. From what I've heard (outside of this forum) they generate more power. I'll have to do my research though.
It doesn't make more power it doesn't have the drag from the belt take a car with 10lbs with a supercharger and 10lbs with a turbo the turbocar will always make more and if sized right the spool up is really quick
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
gqsmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 638
Don't know much about either but if the turbo is better at making power why doesn't Shelby turbocharge instead of supercharge? I think the supercharger is the simpler choice...
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Cost less and easy to install
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Enorym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: California
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii
I'm looking to get one or the other. Any one have a TC or SC? What are the pros and cons of both? Feedback on what you have? I'm on a budget, but I want to get a pretty decent amount of power. What would be my best bet?

I have a 2010 V6 by the way.
First...does your car need to pass smog?

Second...does it need to be reliable?

Third...are you going to install it?
Enorym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash
Don't know much about either but if the turbo is better at making power why doesn't Shelby turbocharge instead of supercharge? I think the supercharger is the simpler choice...
That's why I was like whattt? Saleen, ROUSH, ford, they all have supercharged mustangs, never turbocharged.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enorym

First...does your car need to pass smog?

Second...does it need to be reliable?

Third...are you going to install it?
I'm not sure.

Yes it does.

I have someone who can.
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Enorym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: California
Posts: 196
Are there smog regulations in the state you live in? Do you have to take your car to a testing station after the first 6 years of owning it?
Enorym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missxalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lindenwold
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 578
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enorym
Are there smog regulations in the state you live in? Do you have to take your car to a testing station after the first 6 years of owning it?
Honestly I have no clue. I'm 19 and this is the first car I've ever owned. When I got in inspected they just pulled it up and out a sticker on it because it's a new car.
__________________
2012 Dub Edition V6 Mustang
full borla exhaust / steeda intake / 3.73's / aluminum driveshaft
exedy stage 3 clutch / spec steel flywheel / steeda shifter bushings
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
shadow commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 117
Where is a good place to find a used TC?
shadow commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
One of a diesel works good
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
shadow commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford
One of a diesel works good
Any diesel or a specific one?
shadow commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:56 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.