Top speed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
GoldenPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 571
Top speed?

Isn't it 120? One of
My friends said it was 160
__________________
"Stay golden"
GoldenPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Registered User
Newbie
 
Cyclone AF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Asia
Posts: 8
The car is limited to 118 for warranty reasons, but could probably hit 160 with an aftermarket drive shaft and limiter removed.
Cyclone AF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
GoldenPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone AF1
The car is limited to 118 for warranty reasons, but could probably hit 160 with an aftermarket drive shaft and limiter removed.
Like what does the speedometer?

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPonyBoy

Like what does the speedometer?
Say*
__________________
"Stay golden"
GoldenPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
Cyclone AF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Asia
Posts: 8
The speedometer does not matter, neither does top speed. On a road course, you're never going to go much over 120. Races are usually won with good braking technique anyway.
Cyclone AF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
GoldenPonyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone AF1
The speedometer does not matter, neither does top speed. On a road course, you're never going to go much over 120. Races are usually won with good braking technique anyway.
Yeah I totally get that, I'm simply asking what is the highest number on the speedometer on the 2011+ v6 read
__________________
"Stay golden"
GoldenPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Re: Top speed?

160mph

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
160mph
thats what it reads*

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
160mph
thats what it reads*
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
jmeigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Region: Alabama
Posts: 129
Re: Top speed?

I heard it is limited to 114.
__________________
2011 Race Red V6 w/ Pony Package
Flowmaster Axlebacks, Quarter Window Louvers, Stack Racing Strut Tower Brace
jmeigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Mlp51284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 19
Mine tops out at 114 or 115. I've had it there many of times
Mlp51284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
The 2011 V6 has as a factory speed governor around 114 or so. One can remove that factory speed governor by simply purchasing a Sct bama tuner. Once removed, the car should easily do 140 to 150.

If one is looking to go that fast and have a 2010 plus V6 i strongly recommend buying a good driveshaft from American Musscle for around 500.00 dollars. I was told that the factory driveshaft in the 2011 v6 are not designed to handle speeds over 120 or so. I do find that pathetic for building a sports car that has 305 hp with 280 torque but that's a whole other topic. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
fultonboy09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
The 2011 V6 has as a factory speed governor around 114 or so. One can remove that factory speed governor by simply purchasing a Sct bama tuner. Once removed, the car should easily do 140 to 150.

If one is looking to go that fast and have a 2010 plus V6 i strongly recommend buying a good driveshaft from American Musscle for around 500.00 dollars. I was told that the factory driveshaft in the 2011 v6 are not designed to handle speeds over 120 or so. I do find that pathetic for building a sports car that has 305 hp with 280 torque but that's a whole other topic. Lol
Bama set the limiter at 130 on my car :$ could this be because of the drive shaft?
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Well considering there's nowhere that's not a controlled environment where its legal to drive that fast there's really no need to bypass the limiter.
If you are in a controlled environment then you have assumed the risk by modding the car to begin with.
As far as D/S strength is concerned, the capabilities are well within the capabilities of a car covered under warranty, the capabilities are only surpassed on modded cars that are no longer under warranty.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonboy09

Bama set the limiter at 130 on my car :$ could this be because of the drive shaft?
Honestly, I don't know. I would ask American Musscle about that. It could be because of the driveshaft
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
05MUSTANG4.0L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 729
My 05 v6 did 120 the day I bought it lol
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Re: Top speed?

Except don't all of you remember that guy who took out his limiter on his 2011 V6 and when he hit 135 the driveshaft failed? Remember, if you want to hit higher speeds do some upgrading first just for safety reasons.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Except don't all of you remember that guy who took out his limiter on his 2011 V6 and when he hit 135 the driveshaft failed? Remember, if you want to hit higher speeds do some upgrading first just for safety reasons.
Ty.. Sucks but sometimes common sense needs to be explained.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Except don't all of you remember that guy who took out his limiter on his 2011 V6 and when he hit 135 the driveshaft failed? Remember, if you want to hit higher speeds do some upgrading first just for safety reasons.
That was my understanding too. I was told the stock driveshaft in the 2011 plus v6 models were not designed to withstand high speeds of 135 plus.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MUSTANG4.0L
My 05 v6 did 120 the day I bought it lol
My Mazda Mpv Mini van can go faster than 114. So sad that a 305 hp, 280 torque sports like car can't go over 114 mph because the factory driveshaft is not capable of handling higher speeds.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

That was my understanding too. I was told the stock driveshaft in the 2011 plus v6 models were not designed to withstand high speeds of 135 plus.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------



My Mazda Mpv Mini van can go faster than 114. So sad that a 305 hp, 280 torque sports like car can't go over 114 mph because the factory driveshaft is not capable of handling higher speeds.
And where do you guys legally travel at these speeds?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
05MUSTANG4.0L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

That was my understanding too. I was told the stock driveshaft in the 2011 plus v6 models were not designed to withstand high speeds of 135 plus.

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------



My Mazda Mpv Mini van can go faster than 114. So sad that a 305 hp, 280 torque sports like car can't go over 114 mph because the factory driveshaft is not capable of handling higher speeds.
Mine got only 210hp
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

And where do you guys legally travel at these speeds?
No where legally . Travel them yes, the open highways my brother. Where do people legally travel in the United States the Gt500 at speeds of 202 mph? Or the 5.0 at 140.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MUSTANG4.0L

Mine got only 210hp
Yet yours can go 120 mph and the 2011 v6, 305 hp can't go faster than 114 unless you spend extra money for an after market driveshaft and tuner. Nuts i tell ya. Lol

Heck, I would think its pretty jacked up that someone has to buy an after market driveshaft for around 500 dollars after spending upwards of 28,000 for a premium , performance package v6 model. Screwey
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
On a test course like the salt flats, or in Maxton NC. Or on a wheel dyno.
We don't allow street racing talk, or illegal driving situations.. That said lets keep it clean and legal. We usually close 'Top Speed' threads for these reasons.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

No where legally . Travel them yes, the open highways my brother. Where do people legally travel in the United States the Gt500 at speeds of 202 mph? Or the 5.0 at 140.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------



Yet yours can go 120 mph and the 2011 v6, 305 hp can't go faster than 114 unless you spend extra money for an after market driveshaft and tuner. Nuts i tell ya. Lol

Heck, I would think its pretty jacked up that someone has to buy an after market driveshaft for around 500 dollars after spending upwards of 28,000 for a premium , performance package v6 model. Screwey
The V6 is a commuter car, not a race car. It's designed for the general public that has no desire to mod or race. It's sales are designed to support the GT and Cobra sales.. It's by design since 1964.. It's why the Mustang has survived while others have had to be revived.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
On a test course like the salt flats, or in Maxton NC. Or on a wheel dyno.
We don't allow street racing talk, or illegal driving situations.. That said lets keep it clean and legal. We usually close 'Top Speed' threads for these reasons.
Well then, just a misunderstanding my friend. No street racing here. I meant those speeds would be for the track.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Well then, just a misunderstanding my friend. No street racing here. I meant those speeds would be for the track.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

The V6 is a commuter car, not a race car. It's designed for the general public that has no desire to mod or race. It's sales are designed to support the GT and Cobra sales.. It's by design since 1964.. It's why the Mustang has survived while others have had to be revived.
I don't think the new v6 models are what the old v6's were. Lots of v6 owners want to mod, especially the 2011 plus owners. That new engine placed a new look on the v6. Any car running 1/4 mile in 14.1 to 14.3 stock ain't no slug. Those times were 2010 Gt numbers and now you got sixers doing that. Ford really changed how the consumer looked at the sixer after the 2011 plus came out.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
All newer cars come with more Hp then older GT's like mine.. Hell the new optima will roast sn95 GT's lol it's just evolution of technology.
V6 sales still support GT and Cobra sales, regardless of Hp out put the sales model remains the same.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
[QUOTE="deadsp0t"]All newer cars come with more Hp then older GT's like mine.. Hell the new optima will roast sn95 GT's lol it's just evolution of technology.
V6 sales still support GT and Cobra sales, regardless of Hp out put the sales model remains the same.[

/QUOTE]tech

2010 is a newer car. Im not talking about cars that have 10 to 15 year old technology. Im talking one year difference. 2011 to 2010. Three years old. Thats newer. Lol.

My 1993 v6, 165 hp Camaro back in 1993 could go 115 mph top speed. 2011 Mustang 305, hp can go top speed 114. Just plain Screwey! That was 19 years ago with busted technology. Shoot, it was a piece a garbage Chevy and it rolled just as fast. Screwey
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #27
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: Top speed?

[QUOTE=2011 Kona Blue;1163644]No where legally . Travel them yes, the open highways my brother. Where do people legally travel in the United States the Gt500 at speeds of 202 mph? Or the 5.0 at 140.[COLOR="Silver"]


In the great state of Texas........

TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Sweet!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
In fact the newest V6 commercial in my area features Mike Rowe and three cheerleaders that drive imports being convinced to switch to a Mustang.. Surely three import driving cheerleaders have no plans on modding and racing their new Mustangs..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
In fact the newest V6 commercial in my area features Mike Rowe and three cheerleaders that drive imports being convinced to switch to a Mustang.. Surely three import driving cheerleaders have no plans on modding and racing their new Mustangs..
Wellll! Maybe just a little.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Even most of the V6 driving females here don't do performance upgrades that often, and I can't think of any that I've seen post about racing.

Edit: I forgot about JetWolf, she will when she turns 18 lol
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

The V6 is a commuter car, not a race car. It's designed for the general public that has no desire to mod or race. It's sales are designed to support the GT and Cobra sales.. It's by design since 1964.. It's why the Mustang has survived while others have had to be revived.
Tbh that just sounds a little ignorant :/ There's V6's running 10's on the track. Is that not a race car? Yeah, it's more of a general public car for sales but it's still a Mustang and can be made fast like any car can.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

Tbh that just sounds a little ignorant :/ There's V6's running 10's on the track. Is that not a race car? Yeah, it's more of a general public car for sales but it's still a Mustang and can be made fast like any car can.
Exactly, any car can be MADE into a race car. We are talking about what they can and are designed to do off the factory/showroom floor.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Exactly, any car can be MADE into a race car. We are talking about what they can and are designed to do off the factory/showroom floor.
I hear ya. But these newer V6's are pretty quick from the factory. From the factory I wouldn't call it a race car in todays stardards but they are quick for sure and have a lot of potential.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

I hear ya. But these newer V6's are pretty quick from the factory. From the factory I wouldn't call it a race car in todays stardards but they are quick for sure and have a lot of potential.
No doubt, will never argue that.. They will smoke my GT lol
For the record I don't believe there is ANY issue with the V6 DS @ all.. I believe the two that I herd of we're in cars that it had been removed for a clutch upgrade or something along those lines and not torqued back properly. The Hp made at 135+ is the same Hp/tq made in all the other gears and as far as I know there have not been any issues with un-modded cars and their DS's is the point I've been trying to get at.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:21 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.