Limited slip diff? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
V6performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 4
Limited slip diff?

I've been researching limited slip diffs for my '12 v6 with performance pack to go with a set of 3.73 gears. My question is this - What type of diff comes with the car? Why would I spend up to $1000 on a different diff? For reference, I'm planning on a SC and autocrossing the car.
V6performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6performance
I've been researching limited slip diffs for my '12 v6 with performance pack to go with a set of 3.73 gears. My question is this - What type of diff comes with the car? Why would I spend up to $1000 on a different diff? For reference, I'm planning on a SC and autocrossing the car.
They come with LSD. Not sure how much of a difference you'd see with upgrading it. IMO it's just not needed. Just upgrade your gears. If you run out of upgrades and mods and have money to spend then by all means..
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
A simple upgrade to the.torsen differential would be a good choice iif you could get it for less than 500... but a bunch of suspension would be a better choice for 1000 bucks...
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
A simple upgrade to the.torsen differential would be a good choice iif you could get it for less than 500... but a bunch of suspension would be a better choice for 1000 bucks...
Yeah for $1000 I can't justify it. Not now anyway. And if your making an autox car like me. Suspension should be first thing you do. I got eibach springs, shocks, struts and sway bars. The difference was night and day with handling. Much better choice for $1000.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Also wider wheels/tires are a must for better traction.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

Yeah for $1000 I can't justify it. Not now anyway. And if your making an autox car like me. Suspension should be first thing you do. I got eibach springs, shocks, struts and sway bars. The difference was night and day with handling. Much better choice for $1000.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Also wider wheels/tires are a must for better traction.
Yeah... I casually auto x my mach 1. My front tires are too wide, its killing turn in. As for suspension I just want rear control arms, a front strut tower bar, panhard bar, sway bars and full length subframe connectors. Its my dd so I need some ground clearance and it handles pretty well as is. The springs are already more agressive than the gt and better shocks/struts too.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
V6performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 4
I have gears in the works, and a ford racing suspension kit as well. I just don't know if my diff is right for what I want to do. Is it a 1- way, 1.5-way, or a 2-way LSD? They all have different behaviors.
V6performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6performance
I have gears in the works, and a ford racing suspension kit as well. I just don't know if my diff is right for what I want to do. Is it a 1- way, 1.5-way, or a 2-way LSD? They all have different behaviors.
Tbh, I'm not sure. I haven't looked to much into the diff. It's probably the next thing on my list though w/ gears so I should start. I've asked a few knowledgable people though who tell me that upgrading it isn't necessary, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Will you feel enough of a difference to justify the pricetag? That idk. I believe AM upgraded the diff on there v6 project car? Maybe you could speak to someone there about it and they can give you an answer. Although, I'm sure they'd want to sell you the part so could be a little biased lol.

Also, let me know how the car feels after the FR handling kit. I've got eibach and love it but would like to hear how the FR kit is. Heard mixed reviews on it.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
V6performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 4
I'll try to... I'm not certain what I'll get out of it. I'm sure it's stiffer, but I already have the huge SVT sway bars on my car. The car handles pretty well - I can keep up with and sometimes outrun the Shelby GT mustang on autox courses.
V6performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Was doing a bit more research and it seems a torsen lsd is better for autox then stock which is better for drags. I believe the boss uses the torsen.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
V6performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 4
Thanks for that. Where did you find that info?
V6performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
Google and just browsing other forums to see what others were saying that actually autox. I may get the torsen t2r when I upgrade my gears.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:21 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.