Limited slip diff? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Region: Louisiana
Limited slip diff?

I've been researching limited slip diffs for my '12 v6 with performance pack to go with a set of 3.73 gears. My question is this - What type of diff comes with the car? Why would I spend up to $1000 on a different diff? For reference, I'm planning on a SC and autocrossing the car.
V6performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6performance
I've been researching limited slip diffs for my '12 v6 with performance pack to go with a set of 3.73 gears. My question is this - What type of diff comes with the car? Why would I spend up to $1000 on a different diff? For reference, I'm planning on a SC and autocrossing the car.
They come with LSD. Not sure how much of a difference you'd see with upgrading it. IMO it's just not needed. Just upgrade your gears. If you run out of upgrades and mods and have money to spend then by all means..
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
A simple upgrade to the.torsen differential would be a good choice iif you could get it for less than 500... but a bunch of suspension would be a better choice for 1000 bucks...
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
A simple upgrade to the.torsen differential would be a good choice iif you could get it for less than 500... but a bunch of suspension would be a better choice for 1000 bucks...
Yeah for $1000 I can't justify it. Not now anyway. And if your making an autox car like me. Suspension should be first thing you do. I got eibach springs, shocks, struts and sway bars. The difference was night and day with handling. Much better choice for $1000.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Also wider wheels/tires are a must for better traction.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

Yeah for $1000 I can't justify it. Not now anyway. And if your making an autox car like me. Suspension should be first thing you do. I got eibach springs, shocks, struts and sway bars. The difference was night and day with handling. Much better choice for $1000.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Also wider wheels/tires are a must for better traction.
Yeah... I casually auto x my mach 1. My front tires are too wide, its killing turn in. As for suspension I just want rear control arms, a front strut tower bar, panhard bar, sway bars and full length subframe connectors. Its my dd so I need some ground clearance and it handles pretty well as is. The springs are already more agressive than the gt and better shocks/struts too.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

I have gears in the works, and a ford racing suspension kit as well. I just don't know if my diff is right for what I want to do. Is it a 1- way, 1.5-way, or a 2-way LSD? They all have different behaviors.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6performance
I have gears in the works, and a ford racing suspension kit as well. I just don't know if my diff is right for what I want to do. Is it a 1- way, 1.5-way, or a 2-way LSD? They all have different behaviors.
Tbh, I'm not sure. I haven't looked to much into the diff. It's probably the next thing on my list though w/ gears so I should start. I've asked a few knowledgable people though who tell me that upgrading it isn't necessary, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. Will you feel enough of a difference to justify the pricetag? That idk. I believe AM upgraded the diff on there v6 project car? Maybe you could speak to someone there about it and they can give you an answer. Although, I'm sure they'd want to sell you the part so could be a little biased lol.

Also, let me know how the car feels after the FR handling kit. I've got eibach and love it but would like to hear how the FR kit is. Heard mixed reviews on it.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

I'll try to... I'm not certain what I'll get out of it. I'm sure it's stiffer, but I already have the huge SVT sway bars on my car. The car handles pretty well - I can keep up with and sometimes outrun the Shelby GT mustang on autox courses.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Was doing a bit more research and it seems a torsen lsd is better for autox then stock which is better for drags. I believe the boss uses the torsen.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #10

Thanks for that. Where did you find that info?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Google and just browsing other forums to see what others were saying that actually autox. I may get the torsen t2r when I upgrade my gears.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang