Removal of dash panels 2011 & 2012 mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Wink Removal of dash panels 2011 & 2012 mustangs

STEPS TO REMOVE DASH PANELS FROM 2011 AND 2012 MUSTANGE

1. Guage Panel
a. Panel pulls off. Reach in to large gauges and find edge and pull towards you.
b. If you desire to take air vent apart there are square tabs holding vent to panel. Press them in and vent will slide out from front opening.
c. If you desire to remove the louvers from vent, each one is pressed into vent on each end. Pull from behind one end of each louver and work other side out.
d. If you desire to remove plastic silver ring there are longer tabs you pull back to come off.
e. All rings must be removed from gauge panel if you desire to cover/paint.
2. Air Bag Panel (made up of two panels connected in front of passenger that the air bag will come shooting through.
a. DISCONNECT NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE FOR 10 MINUTES (this will insure the air bag will not KILL you. Move passenger seat all the way back, if electric, before you kill power.
b. Remove glove box. There are four screws under box, remove them. Tilt box to release the two rubber gizmos holding top to open so far.
c. Look up under the dash to find a black box connected to underside of air bag holder. Behind the box, at each upper corner are to clips. You gotta feel your way. Depress each clip. The box is now being held by two plastic deals slid into holes. Slide box back while lowering back end. Box will now hang free only connected by wires. Move back from under air bag gizmo (ABG).
d. Now you see underside of ABG. There are two bolts holding the gizmo in. Remove the bolts. The gizmo is free except for wires. Push gizmo forward and the panels will be free. You will not have much room to pull panel forward. You can leave as is to gain access to last two panels. If you desire to remove panels from air bag gizmo there are a series of plastic tabs on the panels slid into holes on the ABG. Push lower side of panels in towards ABG to allow tabs to slide out and under the holes. Then pull panel up and in to release top set. This is a real PAIN. To put back together, lock in top tabs first. If you desire to remove ABG from car, GOOD LUCK. I could not figure out how to unclip the wires.
3. Center Air Vents.
a. Remove the screw on left side and two on right side. Unclip charger plug.
4. Passenger Vent
a. Remove two screws and pull out.
Let me know if any part of this is confusing, OK? I will help you in any way I can. Jim
jeadams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: Removal of dash panels 2011 & 2012 mustangs

Can someone put this into the how to section? or a sticke? Very good advice! Thanks again for writing. I like the details.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......was going to remove mine and paint to match car...but really worried about breaking something. Thinking of just getting the aluminum dash kit and painting..

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I watched the dealer change my airbag cover. I swear it didn't seem that difficult. It took about 20ish minutes. Your attention to detail is immaculate but it's easier then it sounds.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom View Post
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......was going to remove mine and paint to match car...but really worried about breaking something. Thinking of just getting the aluminum dash kit and painting..
Do that i love my aluminum youve already got the seats green...you dont want to go overkill on the slime. Although, you just gotta have it green! Lol i see a ghig cold air intake and engine cover in your future

From experience on my other car things just never go back together the same. It all gets loose and rattle-y. Very well done write up though, for someone with a base interior paint or a kit is a must!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

nah...on the intake anyway. Installed the CAI last night. painting it will make it that much more of a ***** if I scratched it on the way in. BUT did order the new JLT hood struts and brackets in the body color...LOL!
Still want green on the dash too.....

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I first put in a dash kit, but did not cover the silver on the four dash panels. To paint, you will still have to remove them. With the textured vinyl I used you have variances of your color as will as textures. The satisfaction you achieve in going the extra distance will make you much happier. I can tell you where to get a dash kit for over a hundred less than anywhere and the carbon fiber vinyl roll is very cheap on ebay. Follow my instructions and realize you are working with plastic. I will help you, just ask. I took my dash apart twice in two days. Go for it!

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Tell ya what. Try it on your own. It is that involved and after 20 or so, of course it seems easy.....

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

For me it is all about making my Mustang like no other on earth. The reward vastly overshadows the fear. Do it your way. Afterwards stand back and drink it all in and beat your chest like Tarzan! I now see other Mustangs and laugh to myself knowing they do not know what COOL even means. Finished my steering wheel tonight. Bought my red hose to wash it with, too. LOL.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

jeadams2...I hear you my friend,
I know they make green carbon fiber...and i'm really tempted.
I want to do the steering wheel and door inserts as well.....
sigh....now im confused...and I do customizing....argh

Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a roll of carbon fibre vinyl wrapon ebay, its cool stuff. I had some ideas to use it on my stang then scrapped the ideas. Try out the green stuff the black one looked pretty neat in the sun.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I am posting my steering wheel pic. DONE with this project, at last...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

cool!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to hand it to you...the red carbon fiber looks sweet....been eyeballing green on ebay...but I want to do it to the center console and radio area....does those come out as easy as the rest...?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I covered those parts with a CARiD dash kit. The console has the two long thin parts and the radio piece has many holes. I would not even try to cover them from a roll of material. I checked CARiD for you and no green dash kit. I like the fact that my car has the two different materials. All the same, I don't know.... I kept my templates for the steering wheel. I could scan them and send in am email, if you want.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

oh I already figured the carid kit was the best for the whole thing...will that cover the whole dash ok? Was going to get the satin aluminum and paint to match the car. Thanks for checking and letting me know about the console.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You will have to buy a few kits. Good Luck. The console piece is tricky. There is a small opening to fit over a label when you apply and a downward slant. Place piece over the hole and press down as you go down slant. If not there will be a gap between console and piece. A pain from the jump.... On the large radio piece center right to left carefully. Don't start piece with one side against dash as you will have a gap on other side. There should be a small gap on both sides. The three steering wheel pieces will be a bit too narrow for the legs. Center them. Start the pieces at the ends and press firmly before you adhere the legs. There is a slant downward at ends and if you don't get them well attached they will bow up. Three of my mistakes....

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

My opinion for your blue Mustang. Get the RDBCF colored dash kit. Besides the main kit, you can get two others to cover most of what I did with a roll. There will still be a few areas in chrome, like steering wheel around the kit parts. Or you could have two types of blue as I did with red. The dash kit has no texture like the roll, if you go with carbon fiber.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

I am going to get Sumitomo 225/45/18 HTRZ11 tires and Sparco Assetto Gara Red wheels. You two should should check out the blue and green wheels at Tire Rack.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

what wheels or the tires with the 'green' and blue rubber in the tread? Too expensive and would have to be on the wish list.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

green wheels. Check em out.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

wow...thanks, I will

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

who makes the wheel...cant find it. do you have a direct link?

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

never mind just found it...wow thats diff. But I like my black...that might be too much with my green brakes. BUT ill bookmark in case one of my customers want that.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Did you put in your car and see what it would look like with the green wheels?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

yep...wierd green color..LOL!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Dude, weird green color? That is where you live! LOL
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

well....yeah...BUT....too much green with my calipers. Maybe if win lottery and order a matching convertible...i'll go this route...LOL!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
tagging for use soon Maybe
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Wanted to post a quick thank you. This made it all a breeze. I have another post about what I was doing and will post pics there but your walk through was fantastic
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 mustang