Touch up paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Touch up paint

Anybody use Ford's factory touch up paint? It comes in a smaller tube and you either can use the pen or the brush to apply it. Unfortunately, I have a couple minor scratches then a pretty good size gouge I was going to try it on. I'm just wondering how the metallic in my Kona Blue is going to look with the touch up paint....?
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Touch up paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post
Anybody use Ford's factory touch up paint? It comes in a smaller tube and you either can use the pen or the brush to apply it. Unfortunately, I have a couple minor scratches then a pretty good size gouge I was going to try it on. I'm just wondering how the metallic in my Kona Blue is going to look with the touch up paint....?
I used to work at a supplier factory for ford so one of my connections in there got me motorcraft kona blue touch up paint just as you described. I havent had to use it knock on wood. The problem with these paints is that there is no primer, so after a year or so it comes off and will leave a bigger scratch, i did this on my last car it did a decent job of hiding stuff but did not last.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post
You'll probably need the clear coat as well. I covered up a few scratches but you can still notice. I' have no idea where they came from, but i experimented. I don't see it making it 100% new but it at least helps the scratches become less noticable.

I have a spill over the side of my car this past weekend. I was shaking it to get the pen agitated, and took off the lid because it was acting clogged. My wife came home and i got distracted and never screwed the lid back on. I went back to shaking and boom. All over me and the door of my car. 45 minutes later and you coudn't tell anything that happened, less my pants were ruinted and i have a paint splatter spot in my garage.

I suppose the more i touch up, the better i will be at it. Stupid black cars, they show something new everytime you detail, but they look so good.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

I used the black touch up paint on a 3 inch gash someone left on my front right fender, right down through the primer to the steel. With some superfine sandpaper and some quixx scratch remover, the paint went on just fine without any primer. It's been 6 months, you can't even see it.
Boss Tower Strut Brace
Airaid CAI
Bama 87 Performance Tune
Quikstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Good to know. I just did exactly how the instructions and videos show, nothing too depp, just irritating scratches, that show up worse on a black car. It's hard to notice unless you know what your looking for and even thenyou have to get inches from the car to see it, so i suppose i did an adequate job.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang