Please Help! Mod Problems !!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Please Help! Mod Problems !!!!!

Just finished up my first round of mods, or so I though. Let me give you a brief history. I purchased the eibach pro springs kit. According to the reviews and info on AM's website they are supposed to work with the factory set up with no other modifications. Well, they do, but no body seems to mention the loud clunk that now comes from my suspension that now sounds like it is falling apart. Guess it doesn't bother anyone but me.

I took it to Ford and they suggested replacing the stock dampers with some aftermarket ones that are made to work with the lower ride height and pointed out that the factory suspension on these 11 and up mustangs are weak and fragile. So I ordered the matching eibach pro damper kit and had them professionally installed at a local mustang shop. The noise is even louder now.

I consulted my friend the internet and found there is a service bulletin out there on the front LCA's for mustangs manufactured prior to 4/11. For redisigned the LCA as the old ones can make a popping noise. I took it to Ford and they replaced both LCA with the redisigned LCA, covered it under the warranty. Nice of them, but the noise is still there.

I put the car on jack stands and beat the suspension with a mallet, tugged and pulled it every which way and can not get the noise to show up. The problem is somewhere in the shock tower. I installed the springs myself the first time and had the f/r dampers installed professionally. I watched the guy do the install and he did it the exact same way I did. The coil overs only go in one way and I am 100% confident they are installed properly. I am convinced the culprit is the motorcrap strut mounts, which now leaves me with another dilemma...

Keep in mind I no longer have stock struts/shocks. I have the eibach pro setup, I need to find strut mounts that will work with that setup. Poking around on the internet, everyone seems to rave about the Ford Racing/GT500 strut mounts ($99). Does anyone out there have those installed with the Eibach pro kit on an 11 v6 or know if that will work?

I also see the Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts have been stated to get rid of the clunk, but they are $400, plus installation and an alignment. I called AM and customer service says those will work. I really don't need to spend that money right now if I can avoid it, especially if the GT500 mounts will work.

I appreciate any help anyone can give on this.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
From my understanding the GT500 strut mounts don't work with the eibach system and only with FR suspension products. So you'll have to get something else. I believe the MM plates are cheaper and they're a great brand as well.

I had just the pro-kit springs on my car for about 5,000miles w/ no problems or clunking. Have there pro-dampers on now with no problems and didn't upgrade the strut mounts or CC plates.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Please Help! Mod Problems !!!!!

Seems like some people get the clunk and some don't, any ideas why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

From what I've read, the strut mounts from the factory aren't very good. It could be that certain setups show the weaknesses much quicker than others or that certain setups are "safe" from the clunking problem. The main thing particularly with suspension is to make sure that you purchase compatible parts. Everything has to work together perfectly otherwise you get problems.
fadedsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm learning that lesson now. A very expensive oneā€¦
Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
So, I'm in the same boat. I've got the same clunk and I've got... I can't even remember what brand springs. Maximum Motorsport C&C plates and it still clunks. The problem is the springs. I returned to my stock springs and the noise is gone. I can't explain why some of these guys aren't having any problems but I know my problem was these POS springs bottoming out my bump stops. I really like the lowered look but hate how the car rides and sounds. I'm going to be switching to a full adjustable coil over kit. The one I want is about $1,200 so I'm gonna have to save a little money.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, this thread has totally scared me off of changing the springs on my car. In all my cars I've considered, although not done, this mod and never heard of such potential problems.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I love the way my car looks with a 2" drop and it handles great on the hwy. But bumps and dips in the road make my car noisy and rough. That's why I feel adjustable coil overs would be the best option for my car. Adjustable coil overs don't sacrifice spring height because the strut is what's adjustable. And they have cheaper kits then what I quoted, I just liked the $1200 one better.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

never planned any suspension mods...but im with JS, im not going to do any after this.....yipe!

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Your wheels take up most of the fender gap. I'd leave Slimer the way it is too if I were you.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Jshu, don't be scared. Even with the clunk, i wouldn't go back to the stock setup. The car looks 1000x better and handles 100x better. Dropping your mustang is a must. Hell, it even brakes better, no more nose dive and understeer skidding while heavy braking. I only lowered the car 1.2" and it has improved it in every way (clunk aside).

Also, when I called AM the cust serv rep said they have been having all kinds of noise issues with the MM strut mounts and recommended the Steedas. I will install those and let everyone know if it fixes the clunk.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang