Traction control on/off - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm upgrading to a 2013+ real soon my 06 feels so old and i don't have sport mode lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Really old thread but I still havent found my answer.

I have a 2012 Base V6 with the 6 Speed and with the Steering Options (Normal, Comfort and Sport)

But when it comes to the Traction Control system (T/C) I am having a hard time selecting the features/options.

When I press the T/C button once the T/C goes off but that is all. Nothing about the Advance system.

The Advance Trac system seems to be a "locked" feature on my car.

I've tried holding the brake pedal down for 3-5 seconds while pressing the T/C button. Nothing.

At a stand still. Nothing.

Car off. Nothing.

So perhaps even though I have the steering options not at all of the Sixxer's came with the ability to turn off the Advance Traction Control.

The "Sport" mode that everyone is referring to is that only for the Auto Transmissions?

Thanks - Sam

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
When you start the car press the brake and hold it. Then press your TC button and hold for 5-8 sec. ADVANCETRAC OFF should show up on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
What are you expecting to see, when the Traction Control is off? With Traction Control on Off, you're driving under Posi Traction. With the Traction Control On, you're driving regular.
To the best of my knowledge, although traction control is a form of posi-traction, it is actually (at least it was when it first came out on many cars) accomplished by sensing one of the drive wheels spinning much faster then the other(s) and applies the brake to that wheel, to slow it down or stopping it so as to transfer the driving force to the other drive wheel. This is computer controlled, while traditional posi-traction is accomplished by gearing with no electronics involved.
There may be variations of this by different car companies, I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: What I would think he expects, is to be able to shut of BOTH the Advance Trac and the traction control system, so as not to be slowed down by these systems when say racing at a track, etc.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

@stang3.7

Yea for whatever reason mine does not do that.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #76
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
look up Mykey....you can lock TC on if that is engaged. Info center one of the buttons will take you into programing for that. Hopefully you have an admin key.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

^+1

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

I do use/have the MyKey option. (Tracks miles on that key, speed limiter, etc.)

Its no biggie to be honest. Just curious into why it does not work for me. Perhaps it does and I am just not doing it correctly but I've tried all that was mentioned and then some.

Thank you though!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I know how limited slips work from back in the day. I can see how on a automatic which I have that the computer could control the torque converter engagement or possibly the trany to help control spinning.

But on a stick shift? Yes limited slip or posi has more to do with rotation difference in the differential I get it but isn't a stick still a direct lockup once the clutch is disengaged? I know it's been a few year since I had a stick but surly the clutch now a days isn't computer controlled too and causes it to slip to control spin...

Turning off my advance traction works as it should but if this feature is on a stick also can any of you stick guys explain how the system works on your car? Inquiring minds want to know....
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #80
Staff

Regular
Staff

traction control I believe limits power when it detects wheel spin

advance track will apply specific brakes if it feels it needed, I've had mine brake an inside rear tire a few times when I've been out having fun
Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
traction control I believe limits power when it detects wheel spin

advance track will apply specific brakes if it feels it needed, I've had mine brake an inside rear tire a few times when I've been out having fun
That is wild stuff.
I haven't had to pull mine yet so can I assume our rear pad or rotors are wired with sensors to compare rotation to the front?

So I can get my feeble mind around this, if you manual guys hammer it and start spinning even with the clutch fully engaged and wot it applies the brakes to prevent the rears from rotating more than the front?
That seems mighty hard on a drive train IMO. But I just buy not design...
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

Old 04-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #82
Staff

Regular
Staff

wheel speed sensors on the hub and pitch/yaw sensors.

for TC it cuts engine power. The first time my advance track kicked in was a sharp 90+ deg corner with the midpoint being a real low spot. I went in moderately fast (no traffic) and planned on acceleration at midpoint. I felt the inside rear brake apply and it pulled the car to the right when I was expecting the rear to kick some. It kept me in line and I was amazed.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
wheel speed sensors on the hub and pitch/yaw sensors.

for TC it cuts engine power. The first time my advance track kicked in was a sharp 90+ deg corner with the midpoint being a real low spot. I went in moderately fast (no traffic) and planned on acceleration at midpoint. I felt the inside rear brake apply and it pulled the car to the right when I was expecting the rear to kick some. It kept me in line and I was amazed.
I'll be damned. Worked like the gyro in my RC heli...

Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

From the Owners Manual

Traction control system (TCS)
"The traction control system helps avoid drive wheel spin and loss of
traction.
If your vehicle begins to slide, the system applies the brakes to individual
wheels and, when needed, reduces engine power at the same time. If the
wheels spin when accelerating on slippery or loose surfaces, the system
reduces engine power in order to increase traction. "

"ESC (electronic stability control) operates by applying brakes to one or more of the wheels individually and, if necessary, reducing engine power if the system detects that the vehicle is about to skid or slide laterally."
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons View Post
Does the traction control being on really effect the power of the car all that much ? I havent yet messed around with it off yet , should I ?

Yes I can say 100% it does... My car runs about 2tenths slower in 1/4 with it on... Lost yesterday in bracket racing because I left it on... So trust me I know

Instagram: @Alpha3.7
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymccrary3 View Post
Yes I can say 100% it does... My car runs about 2tenths slower in 1/4 with it on... Lost yesterday in bracket racing because I left it on... So trust me I know

So does that mean you had some wheel spin somewhere?

Oh...are you talking both traction control AND electronic stability control(AdvanceTrac)?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Traction control on/off

AdvanceTrac..... threw it in drive and just forgot to hit the button cause was my first time bracket racing

Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedsoldier View Post
I'm not sure how you're getting 120 out of the 3.7L, it's software limited to 113MPH from the factory. Do you have a tune? Also, if you do have a tune, do you have a stock driveshaft? If you do, be very careful about how fast you go. The stock shafts come apart catastrophically at around 130-135 MPH.
Sorry but I have to call BS on this. I had a 2001 Mercury Cougar v6 that I hit 130 mph on I-80. If that pile of crap didn't fall apart at 130 mph no way would a 2014 Mustang.

130 mph isn't really that fast these days.

Not to mention I have researched the hell out of the v6 Mustangs and have not came across that little tidbit even once. Can you link us any credible sources that back your statement?
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Sorry but I have to call BS on this. I had a 2001 Mercury Cougar v6 that I hit 130 mph on I-80. If that pile of crap didn't fall apart at 130 mph no way would a 2014 Mustang.

130 mph isn't really that fast these days.

Not to mention I have researched the hell out of the v6 Mustangs and have not came across that little tidbit even once. Can you link us any credible sources that back your statement?

There's several videos about this on YouTube

Instagram: justin_3.7
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Man, that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. Unbelievably bad move by Ford not to own up and replace the DS, especially since it's obvious they knew before release since they had the speed cap set at a pathetic 113 from the get go.

My apologies to the person I responded to. It's just so hard to comprehend why Ford would do such a crap move.

I may have to stop pouring money into my v6 now. It seems like GT is the only way to go.

Also, are the new v6s set to 113 mph?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are a couple of video links of V6 driveshaft failures - one on the road, the other on a dyno - in this thread: V6 driveshafts

Mine didn't fail, but would start a troubling vibration right at 100. After installing a new Axle Exchange aluminum DS, it is smooth up to the limiter.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Ive had mine to 110 and it was smooth as butter. But the simple fact that Ford put the limit to 113 on a freaking sports car tells me they now the DS is junk. At first I thought it was to encourage GT sales... Boy was I wrong.

And its not like I want to drive 130 often, but to think my old 174 hp Cougar could do it??? That burns my chops.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also, are the new v6s set to 113 mph?
I saw an old(Jan 2014) article on the 2015's that said, "Ford has increased the top speed of the base model Mustang to 121 miles per hour."
Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I saw an old(Jan 2014) article on the 2015's that said, "Ford has increased the top speed of the base model Mustang to 121 miles per hour."
So basically they are sticking with their money saving pile of crap DS. I'm reading now that the crappy DS goes all the way back to the 2006 V6 model.

I'm seriously at a loss right now. So the Ford Focus goes faster than the damn Mustang????
Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

The Focus does 150 mph?? Really Ford????

Um, now explain to me why the Focus goes as fast as the Mustang GT. Is something wrong with that DS as well? Or does someone high up at Ford have a love for driving 4-bangers insanely fast?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #96
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The Focus is "FRONT WHEEL DRIVE"
The Focus is lighter.
Focus Gear Ratios allow it to just go to a higher MPH.
I still prefer my Mustang over a Focus
I don't drive 150 MPH anyway.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #97
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I've had my stock Focus to 140...no real need to go that fast though.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #98
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Unless your on a race course, there is no reason to go 150 MPH.
My Mini Cooper JCW would only hit 148 MPH at Daytona due to the computer would not allow it to get to a highr top speed.
My 98 Corvette would top out at 180 MPH at Daytona on the Back stretch but the difference from 140 to 180 was day and night as far as butt puckering went.

If any of you have ever been in a car doing 180 or even 160, you would know that it is not a good MPH to do on any street. """EVER"""
140 or 150 is not really as bad as 160 on up.

My 2012 V6 seems to be limited to about 115 MPH
I only hit that once ( A story I can't tell on the forum) if ya know what I mean.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

I got to 128 in a rental v6 challenger one time. Only if I get the DS changed will I touch 140 in the stang. I think thats good enough for me. At 180 I wouldn't remember a thing lol

Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #100
Staff

Regular
Staff

it's a V6 thing. Something about Secretary's being bad drivers.

poor impulse control
Old 04-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

There's no practical reason to do a lot of things. The point is that the ONLY reason they limit it to 113 is to cover up the fact that they use a crap DS. In my book that is wrong.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. With such an increase in V6 performance of the history of the Legendary mustang name you'd think better parts would be used.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I saw an old(Jan 2014) article on the 2015's that said, "Ford has increased the top speed of the base model (3.7L) Mustang to 121 miles per hour."
But the 2015 Mustang 2.3L EcoBoost is governor limited at 149 MPH. That's not fair!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #104
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
There's no practical reason to do a lot of things. The point is that the ONLY reason they limit it to 113 is to cover up the fact that they use a crap DS. In my book that is wrong.

You get what you pay for.

Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang