Damn water trails - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
Damn water trails

Does anyone else hate when you try and detail your Valiant Steeds that no matter how much you dry and blow air in the cracks and crevices that the first time you go to show off your hard work you still have water trails from the mirrors and worst of all the grille... GRRRR
Mlp51284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Damn water trails

need to put the motorcycle tight tip on an electric homelight or such blower. my worst spot is under the 1/4 windows...but work with fine tip blower for a few mins around the car...not anymore..BUT I feel your pain

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

never seen a ride that didnt drip from somewhere yet...

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #3

Yeah I may have to try that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I dont wash with water for this reason lol you can never stop water spots and lines
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I dont wash with water for this reason lol you can never stop water spots and lines
What do you do, ask the dirt to go away then?
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

for my daily drivers I do wash with water, i just try to wash them when its early or late in the day and dry them fully. I still get water spots though (can run filtered water to reduce this a TON)

for my other car that just sees light driving and no rain (so just dust) I keep it dusted, use DWG International™ - Manufacturer of Dri Wash 'n Guard® (ultra ion) a couples times a year (or more if driven more) and use a mist detailer (Meguiars) in between.

100% cotton towel to apply and micro fiber (for buffing paint) to remove. Works good. The dwgint stuff is great for paint, trim, windows, etc keeps them from fading. People call me crazy but my paint and trim is in better shape and looks better then theirs

I just hate towel drying a car especially a black car as it never works

I tried using a leave blower, it helps but does not fully dry the car. When there is just a bit of water left on the car it drys FAST so you get spots form that also. You could dry nearly and use a detailer spray and go over it by hand but you are in for at least 2 hours of work.

I have put dwgint on my car when dirty, no issues (dirty being just grim nothing major like mud/dirt)
Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

lmao!

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

thats a lot of money spent just washing or cleaning ones ride. many of us dont spend that much time on it....and I detail on the side...never any issues with just water. tried a filtration system before...spend more on filters than did on water for 6 months

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 06-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
My car is parked at a truck yard with a lot of truck traffic all night. So I only wash it when I'm going on days off so the birds around my house can have something clean to **** on. I can't win.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

I dont have water spot problems I have a problem with water getting stuck in places so when you drive down the road the wind blows it all over the car... i wash it at least twice a week so its got plenty of wax and stuff on it but i still get the track marks
Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have swirl mark problems on new paint. And I bought all new mitts and buckets. Maybe it'll buff out when I can wax. I hope. Anyone have slight discoloration around your bumper seams?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^
plastic parts vs metal can differ in color slightly~ just how it is it seems. Is that what you mean?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

might have been the paint process...no telling.
looked at that product you use there Spector...ouch. $56 a 64 oz bottle...tooo steep for my blood.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Go buy a cheap leaf blower and dry the water from all those cracks with that. No more water spots or trapped water left.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed the areas prone to this are the running board under the doors where the door jam is under the a piller, the grille, rear quarter windows, and the worst...the taillights at the angle on the bottom of both. I usually dry it completely, including opening trunk and doors, after applying my detailer spray, tire dressing, and trim shine on the plastic i just need one more wipe of those prone areas and thats it.

Try right after rustproofing it, these areas leak the oil spray for weeks!!

I tried my leafblower on my girlfriends car, works ok, but i dont trust it, im afraid a stray thing will come between the blower and car and hurl shrapnel at my nice paint! Regular wax, quick wax spray after every wash, and lightly drying with a synthetic shammy keep the paint shimmering every wash
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Underneath the spoiler, under the plastic lip of the upper grille, under/ behind the mirrors, inside quarter windows/portholes, etc. there are a lot of sneaky spots, and usually I can't finish drying it before bugs have found a new body of water. Much to my chagrin, they are always trying to jump in my polish and wax.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005
Underneath the spoiler, under the plastic lip of the upper grille, under/ behind the mirrors, inside quarter windows/portholes, etc. there are a lot of sneaky spots, and usually I can't finish drying it before bugs have found a new body of water. Much to my chagrin, they are always trying to jump in my polish and wax.
I've got the same issues except no quarter windows. That plastic lip drives me nuts.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

the one around the edge of your vert top..? oh yeah...very familiar from my 1993 LX vert. Would drip for hours...no blower will tough that...

Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp51284
I dont have water spot problems I have a problem with water getting stuck in places so when you drive down the road the wind blows it all over the car... i wash it at least twice a week so its got plenty of wax and stuff on it but i still get the track marks
I thought I was the only 1 with this problem.
Tha twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom
the one around the edge of your vert top..? oh yeah...very familiar from my 1993 LX vert. Would drip for hours...no blower will tough that...
Not too much around the edges of the top. I get the most from the spoiler. And underneath the lights.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang