Sun spots >:( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sun spots >:(

After washing and drying their car, does anybody else feel like no matter what you do, your car will always have sun spots?!? Annoys the hell outta me! What can I do to get rid of them??
bstonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstonk
After washing and drying their car, does anybody else feel like no matter what you do, your car will always have sun spots?!? Annoys the hell outta me! What can I do to get rid of them??
Sun spots? You mean water spots?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Sun spots? You mean water spots?
Oops! Yes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

My water isn't very hard, but hard enough that if I'm not careful, I'll get water spots. I was wondering around Wally World (Walmart) and found a filter in the Automotive area it has helped a lot.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My water isn't very hard, but hard enough that if I'm not careful, I'll get water spots. I was wondering around Wally World (Walmart) and found a filter in the Automotive area it has helped a lot.
We have a water softener....what does the filter do?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
There are a few things you can do to help that. First, wash your absorber regularly. Second, don't wash the car in direct sunlight, that will give you water spots every time. If, you still get water spots, use spray wax after drying. Turtlewax Ice is easy to use and it will get rid of water spots, but that will add extra 20 mins to your wash time. I also use Meguiar's Ultimate Spray wax. It takes twice as long as the Turtlewax, is not so easy to work with but it gives a better result.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Sun spots >:(

+1 the worst thing you can do washing wise Is wash in direct sunlight or when your paint is hot. Also your brakes can't be hot or they will warp. Using an absorbed or synthetic chamois is key, it sucks up all the water, towels just move it around and streak. A good detailer or "wax spray" is great, I use meguiars ultimate quick wax spray after every wash. Don't consider this enoughthough you should wax at least 3 or 4 times a year to keep your paint shimmering and it will help bead off water

Welcome to the forums by the way!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I wax mine every other wash or so. I don't use a quick detailer but it may help as it may be a lighter compound. I clay mine twice a year, once for the hot wether, once for the cold. I have to you a towel of some sort until it hardens then I can you a water blade. I use turtle wax ice wash, wax, liquid clay bar, and a microfiber type mitt and a bucket that is washed out and hung every time. I don't have water spots on mine and sometime I have half my car in the direct sun. I just move fast and keep moving water over it so it has no time to set. I also wash in the evening hours around 5-6 when it's cooler and before the dew hits it is in the garage. Just my two cents on how I take care of my paint, or try to anyways. I'm losing the battle with swirls.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11
There are a few things you can do to help that. First, wash your absorber regularly. Second, don't wash the car in direct sunlight, that will give you water spots every time. If, you still get water spots, use spray wax after drying. Turtlewax Ice is easy to use and it will get rid of water spots, but that will add extra 20 mins to your wash time. I also use Meguiar's Ultimate Spray wax. It takes twice as long as the Turtlewax, is not so easy to work with but it gives a better result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig
+1 the worst thing you can do washing wise Is wash in direct sunlight or when your paint is hot. Also your brakes can't be hot or they will warp. Using an absorbed or synthetic chamois is key, it sucks up all the water, towels just move it around and streak. A good detailer or "wax spray" is great, I use meguiars ultimate quick wax spray after every wash. Don't consider this enoughthough you should wax at least 3 or 4 times a year to keep your paint shimmering and it will help bead off water

Welcome to the forums by the way!
Great advice I was exhausted last night. Sheeting the water helps. Also make sure your using a ph balanced wash Meguiars, Mothers, Zaino, and hi-temp, and Adams to name a few. PH balanced allows you to not have to rinse each panel every time. So you have 2 rinses 1 at the start 1 at the end.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Great advice I was exhausted last night. Sheeting the water helps. Also make sure your using a ph balanced wash Meguiars, Mothers, Zaino, and hi-temp, and Adams to name a few. PH balanced allows you to not have to rinse each panel every time. So you have 2 rinses 1 at the start 1 at the end.
Thank you guys so much! Do they have the wax at Walmart or should I go to autozone or some other place??
Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you use towels to dry your car DO NOT PUT BLEACH OR FABRIC SOFTENER IN THE WASHER

Also Do Not put softener in your dryer or a dryer softening sheet.

Just wash and dry the towels without softening stuff. Of course you need to use good quality towels in the first place. Spend a little extra and don't buy crap just because they will be used only on your car.

The towels will stay way more absorbent and suck up the water if no softener or bleach is used.

The bleach/softeners stuff not only causes the towels to be less absorbent but puts a coating on the towel that is harsher on the paint then A nice plain clean towel.

ALSO, Use more then one towel and refold it often.

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

Thank you guys so much! Do they have the wax at Walmart or should I go to autozone or some other place??
Autozone is a great place to start. If you can afford it Adams polishes is another great place. Zaino is good as well.

AZ will have wax, polish, and shampoo.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I wax mine every other wash or so. I don't use a quick detailer but it may help as it may be a lighter compound. I clay mine twice a year, once for the hot wether, once for the cold. I have to you a towel of some sort until it hardens then I can you a water blade. I use turtle wax ice wash, wax, liquid clay bar, and a microfiber type mitt and a bucket that is washed out and hung every time. I don't have water spots on mine and sometime I have half my car in the direct sun. I just move fast and keep moving water over it so it has no time to set. I also wash in the evening hours around 5-6 when it's cooler and before the dew hits it is in the garage. Just my two cents on how I take care of my paint, or try to anyways. I'm losing the battle with swirls.
Waxing that frequently can contribute to swirls, I suggest you try using quick detailer and waxing quarterly. Also how often are you getting new towels?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

And are you using 2 buckets or 1? I suggest using 2.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

But call me a hypocrite I only use 1 with a girt guard. I keep wheel and tire brushes separate. And never use the same bucket for either.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah two buckets is key, wash your car starting from top to bottom as most of the dirt will be on bottom, i use a microfibre mit, each paanel i shake it in a plain water bucket to remove contaminants, then the bucket with soap water. At the end i use a brush for the plastic lower panels (which are painted on 2013) and then lastly the wheels. I use an all wheel cleaner that i spray on, wash off before i hit it with the brush, this removes most of the brake dust.

It really isnt much work to wash the stang, if you do it often enough you will find good techniques. In one hour i can wash, dry (including opening doors/trunk and drying that), tire shine spray, trim shine spray,and quick detail spray the whole thing.

Ive slowly been switching to meguiars since i got my stang and i think they have the best value for the results. Especially the quick detail spray, ultimate wax, wheel cleaner, and hot shine tire spray. Maybe the car crazy show has brainwashed me lol gotta love barry meguiar.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #14

Region: California

i have sun damage on my vinyl stripes! it bothers me so much! and i have yet to find a way to fix it!
mustaphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
I have been using multi surface windex on every surface on my car paint, plastic, metal, glass and rubber. It take out water spots, smudges and is awesome at removing bugs with out any streaks. I use it on my custom painted bike as well. Have never had any fish problems using it. Makes the car shine like an SOB!!!

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustaphat
i have sun damage on my vinyl stripes! it bothers me so much! and i have yet to find a way to fix it!
Bite the bullet and do what I'm doing. Next year I'm have my stripes painted on.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6

I have been using multi surface windex on every surface on my car paint, plastic, metal, glass and rubber. It take out water spots, smudges and is awesome at removing bugs with out any streaks. I use it on my custom painted bike as well. Have never had any fish problems using it. Makes the car shine like an SOB!!!

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Bite the bullet and do what I'm doing. Next year I'm have my stripes painted on.
This windex seems like a bad idea being a window cleaner base. That's just what runs through my head. It may shine but what about your clear, is it eating away at it? Educate me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:

This windex seems like a bad idea being a window cleaner base. That's just what runs through my head. It may shine but what about your clear, is it eating away at it? Educate me if I'm wrong.
The only way I would assume it can eat at the clear is if you spray it on and do not wipe it off. Use it just like you do on a window wipe off as soon as you spray it on I have used this on my finishes for years never dulled it out. Make sure it's multi surface. I look at it this way clears have come a long way I've seen gas over flow and wiped it off with the station window washer fluid and and a paper towel and the gas never ate the clear. The multi surface is good for all surfaces. My wife uses it on her stove which has a black painted surface and the stove continues to look good. When I saw that I started using it on my bikes first (cheaper to paint a bike) after spraying and wiping down my bike every week for two years and the paint looked as good as the day I started. I started wiping my vehicles with it. But I always spray and wipe right away. I've never gave the stuff a chance to sit on the clear coat for more than a few seconds.

My disclaimer: my method has worked for me. I am in no way responsible for someone else's surface if it screws it up!!! LOL
Old 06-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal. I'll try my spoiler first. It was the cheapest to paint. Just good ole windex multi surface ehh, no Febreze with that lol
Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Good deal. I'll try my spoiler first. It was the cheapest to paint. Just good ole windex multi surface ehh, no Febreze with that lol
LOL not unless you have a weird smell on your car. Use it like you would a window, spray and wipe one area at a time.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Zaino makes a product called "CLEAR SEAL" and you just apply it and walk away. I used it on all of the plastic parts as well as the headlight covers on my Mini Cooper JCW and it protected the Black vinyl Sport Strips as well as the plastic parts from our brutal Florida sun.

The best thing for not having "SUN SPOTS" is to dry the car with a nice towel after washing.

I sure would not ever use Windex on my paint job because it has ammonia in it and will eventually destroy your paint. Some of the window all purpose stuff even has Chlorine in it.

Care care items are not really expensive so why fool around with house cleaning products?

This is just my opinion but it is your car so you can use what you want on it.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Zaino makes a product called "CLEAR SEAL" and you just apply it and walk away. I used it on all of the plastic parts as well as the headlight covers on my Mini Cooper JCW and it protected the Black vinyl Sport Strips as well as the plastic parts from our brutal Florida sun.

The best thing for not having "SUN SPOTS" is to dry the car with a nice towel after washing.

I sure would not ever use Windex on my paint job because it has ammonia in it and will eventually destroy your paint. Some of the window all purpose stuff even has Chlorine in it.

Care care items are not really expensive so why fool around with house cleaning products?

Like I said I have used it for years and on my custom paint on my bike with no damage. If it won't damage the paint on a stove it sure won't hurt your car. Because the clear on a car is much better than that of a stove.

P.S. I use multi surface windex not the windex meant for windows only! Lets see it has been four yeas of wiping my bike down with multi surface windex and it still looks great. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Waxing your car too often will cause swirl marks, so will washing it too often. Wash no more than once a week using a microfiber wash mit. Wax no more than once a quarter with spray wax in between. Clay bar twice a year max, I say once a year since all of our cars are newer and have newer paint. After a few rounds a claybar it starts to strip off a little layer of clear coat each time. And if you use the wrong stuff or don't use enough lube you can start to strip off the clear cote on the first try.

Btw, wamart sells a lot of the same stuff auto zone and discount auto parts sells for less$$.

Thats my two cents and before I go, I have tried tons of different car waxes out there, the best stuff i found so far is Meguiar's Professional #26 high tech yellow wax. Its expensive and hard to find but you should check it out if you have a chance.

Has anyone ever tried the Griot's Garage show car wax? I have been dying to try it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3271991808.png
Views:	141
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	55686  
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948

That's what I was thinking in a way. It'll ruin tint. Idk about a clear coat. I'll just stick to my turtle wax ice

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Read stallion and I think alike. I'm picky on paint so if I have to spend that little extra I will. Even if it will get out hair -_-
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Fast V6 says:
Quote:
P.S. I use multi surface windex not the windex meant for windows only! Lets see it has been four yeas of wiping my bike down with multi surface windex and it still looks great. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.
I guess it must be different then their window cleaners. The Window cleaners work great on chrome but I would never want it on my paint. The multi purpose stuff may have different ingredients.

I still think stuff made for car paint would be better.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11
Waxing your car too often will cause swirl marks, so will washing it too often. Wash no more than once a week using a microfiber wash mit. Wax no more than once a quarter with spray wax in between. Clay bar twice a year max, I say once a year since all of our cars are newer and have newer paint. After a few rounds a claybar it starts to strip off a little layer of clear coat each time. And if you use the wrong stuff or don't use enough lube you can start to strip off the clear cote on the first try.

Btw, wamart sells a lot of the same stuff auto zone and discount auto parts sells for less$$.

Thats my two cents and before I go, I have tried tons of different car waxes out there, the best stuff i found so far is Meguiar's Professional #26 high tech yellow wax. Its expensive and hard to find but you should check it out if you have a chance.

Has anyone ever tried the Griot's Garage show car wax? I have been dying to try it out.
^ from experience, I couldn't say it better my self.

Griots is okay. I can't jump up and down. I bought microfiber towels from them not what I hoped. If you want high-end try Zaino P21S, Pinnacle, and Adams. You'll achieve much better results with those products.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6

Like I said I have used it for years and on my custom paint on my bike with no damage. If it won't damage the paint on a stove it sure won't hurt your car. Because the clear on a car is much better than that of a stove.

Ok here is the best picture I could get if you look you can see the reflection of my legs if the tank/air box cover. Mutli surface windex works great it's active ingredient is .18% lactic acid a very week acid found in milk our body also produces it as well during strenuous exercise. It's also used in a type of facial mask in a 40% to 65% mixture. But like I said I have been using it for years spray and wipe off right way no finish problems for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-743739941.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	56093

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang