Regular or premium - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Regular or premium

I want to bring up the discussion of regular vs premium and plus gasoline in our v6 pony. I use regular but always wondered if premium would benefit the car like it does our v8 brothers?
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I want to bring up the discussion of regular vs premium and plus gasoline in our v6 pony. I use regular but always wondered if premium would benefit the car like it does our v8 brothers?
i filled mine with it a week ago . didnt see any diff.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It probably won't make much of a difference in the newer cars, but as it ages I would at least move to middle range because it does help mileage and I think it makes the cars run better.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It want make much of a difference unless you get a tune, the most common tunes require a better gas due to compression.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: Regular or premium

87 octane works perfect in these Mustangs. Anything other is just a big waste of $$$$. The engine is designed to use 87 octane and 10% ethonol.

I imagine if you do a lot of serious engine mods you will probably be forced to use the higher octanes.

Just stay away from the crap no-name gas stations and use top tier stations like Shell, Chevron etc.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I use 87 octane like the book says to use it works great! I fill up at Shell, QT, and sometimes Kroger, or SAMs.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I use shell or chevron. At first I filled up with plus gasoline and no ethanol. Then regular no ethanol. Now I use regular with 10% ethanol and it works the best. Never tried premium but I heard from a friend that a premium or no ethanol tank every now and again is good for the engine to unclog things. Since ethanol does cause some build up
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
For fuel injected vehicles yes... but our direct injected engines don't have the same type of injectors that are "clogable" if that makes sense
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ethanol does not cause any build up but if you don't keep the tank full when you park it for a while it will allow moisture (Water) to build up in your tank.

Ethanol burns hotter then fuel without it. It is more corrosive to engines and fuel pumps not designed for it. 10% or less is fine for our very late model cars that are designed to use it.

Just don't get gas if the pump reads 15% Ethanol !
Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #10

Region: Texas
Your V6 is made for regular, running plus or prem is just wasting money. The added benefit of octane is running your timing more advanced, which will squeeze out a bit more HP. You will need a tune for that.
Vonzipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Might want to double check. Even though these cars are made for running 87, I've seen it stated multiple times that the stock computer can advance the timing a bit to make use of higher octane gas.

These engine are not really direct injection either. That means they are injecting directly into the cylinder. Ours hit the back of the intake valves.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Ethanol does not cause any build up but if you don't keep the tank full when you park it for a while it will allow moisture (Water) to build up in your tank.

Ethanol burns hotter then fuel without it. It is more corrosive to engines and fuel pumps not designed for it. 10% or less is fine for our very late model cars that are designed to use it.

Just don't get gas if the pump reads 15% Ethanol !
That's why the cap say no e85. I'm not a corn gas person. Grew up without it so why start now. If I can find no ethanol I'll use it. But 10% if not

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

So which is it. The gt can make use of the premium or regular. So why not the v6??
Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You can use premium or regular but using premium is only wasting $$$$.

If your engine pings or knocks due to engine modifications you need to use premium.

A stock unmolested 2011/2013 V6 only needs 87 octane to run fine. If you do use premium the computer will not make the car be faster or have more power.

Late model engines that call for premium can use regular and if the computer detects a spark knock the computer will adjust and try to eliminate the problem, You will lose power.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

if you have your stock CATs...run 87...you will burn out the guts....smells like rotten eggs to those following behind you...and then you're asking for emissions issues (3 Ford techs I know). Run a fuel treatment like gumout or STP injector cleaner every 3k...or for those that dont drive that much...every 4th tankful...

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I thought we were not to add additives to our tanks. And mine smells like dump according to my friends who are behind me when I get on it. Is that due to running the plus for the first 8 or so tanks?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You just gotta be careful of what additives you use. Read the ingredients and be certain they will not be harmful to your injectors or fuel pump Etc. I think the only really safe additive is "Techron" but I still would only use it only every 10,000 miles or more.

If you stick with top tier gas and stay away from the cheap jiffy type store with no name gas you don't need an additive.

The Ethanol does one thing good. It keeps your injecters etc. nice and clean. It does smell like rotten eggs though.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

When I was researching a CAI I saw a video that did an initial dyno run with only using premium fuel and actually showed a slight increase. I don't recall where I got the video from but I'll check. I'm not speaking for the accuracy of the test and doubt that even a 5-7 hp gain is worth it (get real, most of those reading this wouldn't feel it unless you were told), just that it might not be as clear as we've been stating here.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22
When I was researching a CAI I saw a video that did an initial dyno run with only using premium fuel and actually showed a slight increase. I don't recall where I got the video from but I'll check. I'm not speaking for the accuracy of the test and doubt that even a 5-7 hp gain is worth it (get real, most of those reading this wouldn't feel it unless you were told), just that it might not be as clear as we've been stating here.
iv seen a video too .not sure where .
and jus like.u said wouldent be able to tell . my.mpg went down that week not sure if i drove it harder then usual or what. but it didnt help.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Check this out:

Facts About Premium and Regular Gas | TrueCar Blog

It is pretty good at explaining premium versus regular.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

The only reason someones car "feels better when I run premium" is their mind trying to justify the extra expense. Just like a clean car feels better.

Premium gas is intended to reduce the risk of detonation -- pinging -- so unless your car is tuned and able to benefit from the higher octane then the extra money spent is doing nothing for your engine. It won't activate some extra hidden tuning in the V6.

On the 5.0 the computer is set up to detect the fact that you are running premium gas and to adjust for it. But the V6 doesn't have that programming. That's why you see in the brochure it says the 2013 GT has 420 HP* (and at the bottom of the page *with premium gas). You don't see the same thing for the V6 because it doesn't have that programming.

Unless you have an aftermarket tune, which has more spark advance for example, then you don't need premium.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The only reason someones car "feels better when I run premium" is their mind trying to justify the extra expense. Just like a clean car feels better.

Premium gas is intended to reduce the risk of detonation -- pinging -- so unless your car is tuned and able to benefit from the higher octane then the extra money spent is doing nothing for your engine. It won't activate some extra hidden tuning in the V6.

On the 5.0 the computer is set up to detect the fact that you are running premium gas and to adjust for it. But the V6 doesn't have that programming. That's why you see in the brochure it says the 2013 GT has 420 HP* (and at the bottom of the page *with premium gas). You don't see the same thing for the V6 because it doesn't have that programming.

Unless you have an aftermarket tune, which has more spark advance for example, then you don't need premium.
Exactly where I'm coming from. But why did ford skip the programming on the v6? One of life's many mysteries.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #22
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I thought we were not to add additives to our tanks. And mine smells like dump according to my friends who are behind me when I get on it. Is that due to running the plus for the first 8 or so tanks?
It depends but additives won't hurt anything Tom and Ray went over this on Car Talk.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't saw that in forever. What about the stuff roush or Shelby uses on their mustangs? It's purple or something.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Even if the car did gain 5 hp running 93, what is that really gonna do for you? The difference in price would be better spent if you save it up for mods.

As long as you stick with name brand 87 you should be fine. I notice the car runs a little rougher with the cheaper gas in it.

Here is another question. Has anyone tried running ethanol free gas. The Citgo down the street has 90 octane ethanol free, has anyone tried that out?
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They have to use it (or say they do) to get that sponsor $$$$ coming in. If you use good top tier gas you don't need any additives at all. Of course you need to use the motor oil designed for your engine.

In the old days of crappy tolerances and engines that wore out in about 70,000 miles or so you needed to add stuff to your engine to keep it going longer. These new engines are made much better with better materials and don't really need a thing.

Thats not to say: I'm an idiot because I do like to put a can of "TECHRON" into my gas tank about once a year. It is just a mild engine cleaner that is in most top tier gas anyway. I put it in when I go on a long trip so it will run through the system between fill up's. I doubt it does anything but it does make me think I'm cleaning my engine.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
They have to use it (or say they do) to get that sponsor $$$$ coming in. If you use good top tier gas you don't need any additives at all. Of course you need to use the motor oil designed for your engine.

In the old days of crappy tolerances and engines that wore out in about 70,000 miles or so you needed to add stuff to your engine to keep it going longer. These new engines are made much better with better materials and don't really need a thing.

Thats not to say: I'm an idiot because I do like to put a can of "TECHRON" into my gas tank about once a year. It is just a mild engine cleaner that is in most top tier gas anyway. I put it in when I go on a long trip so it will run through the system between fill up's. I doubt it does anything but it does make me think I'm cleaning my engine.

When all is well with the head all is well with body.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Our v6 motors use the 5w-20 oil because it's thin. Maybe something with mileage. My old one used a thicker oil but it was motor craft. Both I put synthetic in. Like I stated, I use shell or chevron gas in mine and every now and again put a tank of non ethanol in. (it burns way faster though) and idk if it's mentally or actually doing it but it feels more powerful. Just more of a kick...or the tranny is gonna die lol
Old 06-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
87 octane works perfect in these Mustangs. Anything other is just a big waste of $$$$. The engine is designed to use 87 octane and 10% ethonol.

I imagine if you do a lot of serious engine mods you will probably be forced to use the higher octanes.

Just stay away from the crap no-name gas stations and use top tier stations like Shell, Chevron etc.
American Muscle dyno'd a 2011 V6 with 87 octane drained the tank and fuel lines then filled it with 93 and saw a 6 horse power increase just from the fuel alone. As for a waste if money my mustang has 14 gallon tank and at current gas prices in my area 93 octane cost 20 to 25 cents more than 87 octane Which equates to an extra $3 a tank. $3 a week is worth it to me to keep it running stronger!!!

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonzipper
Your V6 is made for regular, running plus or prem is just wasting money. The added benefit of octane is running your timing more advanced, which will squeeze out a bit more HP. You will need a tune for that.
No you do not need to time to run higher octane... Anyone not familiar with American Muscle you need to go to there site and watch their video's on their V6 project car. You will learn a lot.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a graph from AM's video showing a completely stock V6 87vs93 for all interested. You can make your decision as whether it's worth it or not.

Also a link to the vid:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1598957338.jpg
Views:	3353
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	56555  
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, That about cinches it. Run 93 if you want to hammer your car a lot or just use 87 if you just drive it like an ole lady/man.

I really doubt if you can feel a 6 or 7 horsepower increase in the seat of your pants.

I think I'm gonna use 93 around town and if I go on a trip I'll use 87 to save some $$$$
Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
Here's a graph from AM's video showing a completely stock V6 87vs93 for all interested. You can make your decision as whether it's worth it or not.

Also a link to the vid:
Also, that vid shows results from tunes and cai's. It's a great video for anyone looking into gas, tune or intakes. Might help you make a better decision.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

My wallet was much lighter and my checking account drained faster, but my mustang remained the same weight and speed.
Quikstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if tuned for premium run it if not tuned for premium dont run it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I still say it'll run like a GT if you put premium in it with the 6-7 hp. If anything it'll e in the top end I think.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang