Airraid CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Airraid CAI

Ok so I have posted on other CAI forums And never got a real definitive answer. I have a 2010 v6 and am going to be buying the Airraid CAI from AM. I will eventually be buying a tuner as well just dot have the cash for both right now. The Airraid CAI for the 2010 v6 says "No computer retune required." Now I fully understand that a CAI has the best gains when combined with a tune, hence why I am buying a tuner as well. My question, is if the Airraid CAI states it needs NO computer retune, will I still get the same gains from tuning as I would if ingot a different CAI that says Tune Required? Or is this specific CAI built different that it won't get as large a gains. I am open to other brands but I have seen Airraid CAI's in other mustangs ad really liked their look under the hood and just want to know if I'm getting the same bang for my buck as far as gains when tuning... Sorry to make yet another CAI thread I just have yet to really get and answer and I'm ready to place my order now. Thanks!

Here is a link to the one on AM i was looking at.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-10v6.html
Nfreeman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Airraid CAI

supposedly, you can Bama tune with the Airaid CAI. I on the other hand..will NOT be tuning it due to the brand new vehicle warranty. I'll leave that part along til the 5 years run out. I made a good pick in this particular CAI and love it. you cant go wrong for the performance and price

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I jus wasn't sure if it was built different to where it wouldn't show the same gains or something. Or if they were just saying it for a selling point statement and it would show the same gains.... Love the GHIG btw! Super jealous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thanks.
you'll get a good boost with the cai....converting to dual exhaust would help too

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Dont waste your time. I have the airaid cai that claims not to need a tune. Horse *****. You lose power without a tune, mpg also goes down. On the other hand I gained noticeable hp once I tuned it.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Horse ****? I think not. Yes my mpg has gone down, in part due to me getting on it more because it just sounds awesome and is more responsive. I for one do not agree with the losing power claim though.

You can always add a tune later and build it to the car (w/CAI) at that point.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So buy it and try it without the tune. Disconnect the battery. You can always get a tune later. Just get a good feel for the acceleration before you do it.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I did...it was much improved on mine. Now to see what it does for the MPG.....
Takeoff definitely improved and the sound of it sucking in more air is addictive.....
Shame mine's been down while the side view mirrors got painted...but , let the fun begin

Old 06-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Mirrors? We don't need no stinkin mirrors!
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom
thanks.
you'll get a good boost with the cai....converting to dual exhaust would help too
Dual exhaust is in the works. A buddy of mine works at a muffler shop so I'm getting a pretty sweet deal on a custom setup... Haven't decided on what setup/axle backs I want though. Leaning towards an xpipe with a possible cat delete, haven't decided if I want to keep the cats yet. And no clue to what axle backs.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I just installed my Airraid last night, you can definitely tell a difference with a tune versus without. However i still am not satisfied with the bama tuner so i'll be taking it to a performance shop for a tune after my next X amount of upgrades. But you might as well just cough up the money for the bama, it just about dbl's the hp and ft-lb torque your going to get from the intake. Plus to fix that terrible terrible throttle response i would almost tune before the intake.

Also completely agree with GTZ, Airraid's sucking is better than my GF's :X. That thing sounds amazing.
2005 Chevy S-10
2007 Hyundai Tiberon GT
2016 ECOBOOST Stang w/ Performance Pkg
Malonjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

wow Malonjao.........be nice to your girlfriend ;p
LOL!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
You sixxer guys are so crazy. Just don't go sticking your wiener into your CAI. Haha, you're likely to get chaffed. Lmao!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't take long for me to run into a troll on these forums. Hate all you want on a Six. Were in a new age where a six can get right on par with an 8. Hince why a lot of performance series cars are now being introduced as a 6. Now go refill your daily gas tank and head back over to the eight section
2005 Chevy S-10
2007 Hyundai Tiberon GT
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malonjao
Didn't take long for me to run into a troll on these forums. Hate all you want on a Six. Were in a new age where a six can get right on par with an 8. Hince why a lot of performance series cars are now being introduced as a 6. Now go refill your daily gas tank and head back over to the eight section
I share your sentiment. Before 2011, there was a reason to look down on sixxers. Not anymore though.

Wouldn't lump Primer in that group though. He was just playing.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

LOL! I wanted a 6, I ordered a 6, and I'm happy with a 6...besides.....another week ill have the car broken in.....a 2010 and 2006 GTs want to race, even my neighbor's boyfriend with his 98 GT wants to run. Told them all to meet me on SC HWY 31 (the auto-beach) and we'll run. NEWSFLASH...they all have the 3.73 rear and I have my 3.31.....at 80-85 their gonna top out...im gonna have a bit more from there....wish could have gotten the perf pkj with the 2.73....would have had a lot more, just slower takeoff......sigh

Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I've had my 2010 v6 since they came out... Got a damn good deal and I'm happy with it... Yea I'm jealous of the 11+ but I'm not about to make a financial mistake of my college life and trade in and get more indebt... Rather just wait an graduate and buy a Boss 😃
Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Pray they keep the Boss model into the 2015 re-do...other wise, im sure there will be a few in used lots...just dont let the dealers sucker you, and make sure you check eBay at that time as well.....

Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Don't you worry already done my research on how ima go about it for both situations haha... But I'm praying they keep the boss in the 2015....
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Haha, you're right the new 6 has got some balls. I'm not trollin when I comment and I don't hate on anyone. Everyone has a right to enjoy their mustang no matter what kind of power they are making. My first mustang was an '80 inline six I think it made 90hp? I loved that car and it got me laid as a teenager. That's really all that matters!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Haha, you're right the new 6 has got some balls. I'm not trollin when I comment and I don't hate on anyone. Everyone has a right to enjoy their mustang no matter what kind of power they are making. My first mustang was an '80 inline six I think it made 90hp? I loved that car and it got me laid as a teenager. That's really all that matters!
+1,000
Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

I share your sentiment. Before 2011, there was a reason to look down on sixxers. Not anymore though.

Wouldn't lump Primer in that group though. He was just playing.
Thanks man! I'm glad some people understand my humor. Now, allow me to tuck my tailpipe between my legs and hobble back to the GT section. Lmao!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha sorry p2t, ive been getting alot of heat from my friends for going with a 6 guess im like a cornered dog on the defensive.
2005 Chevy S-10
2007 Hyundai Tiberon GT
Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfreeman40 View Post
Ok so I have posted on other CAI forums And never got a real definitive answer. I have a 2010 v6 and am going to be buying the Airraid CAI from AM. I will eventually be buying a tuner as well just dot have the cash for both right now. The Airraid CAI for the 2010 v6 says "No computer retune required." Now I fully understand that a CAI has the best gains when combined with a tune, hence why I am buying a tuner as well. My question, is if the Airraid CAI states it needs NO computer retune, will I still get the same gains from tuning as I would if ingot a different CAI that says Tune Required? Or is this specific CAI built different that it won't get as large a gains. I am open to other brands but I have seen Airraid CAI's in other mustangs ad really liked their look under the hood and just want to know if I'm getting the same bang for my buck as far as gains when tuning... Sorry to make yet another CAI thread I just have yet to really get and answer and I'm ready to place my order now. Thanks!

Here is a link to the one on AM i was looking at.
Airaid Mustang Cold Air Intake (10 V6) 450-245 - Free Shipping!

Nfreeman40,

Great Question! You will gain very similar power with a CAI that is NO tune required & TUNE required. However the intakes that require a tune are a bigger diameter, leading to more power. Either way you will not see max gains until you get the car tuned. Check this out, this should clear up your question!

Why Tunes are Required on Cold Air Intakes - Free Shipping!

If you are trying to budget your mods, there is nothing wrong with going with the NO tune required CAI. You will still gain power & the rumble under the hood! However you will still not gain max power until the car is tuned.

I hope this helps! Hit me up if you have any further questions!

- Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Hahaha sorry p2t, ive been getting alot of heat from my friends for going with a 6 guess im like a cornered dog on the defensive.
No worries man, I love this forum and the people here are awesome. I spend more time here then I do with my real friends... Damn, that's kinda sad huh? Lol
Old 06-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

its only a problem when you start ignoring your mustangs for these forums =P
2005 Chevy S-10
2007 Hyundai Tiberon GT
Old 06-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Haha, no way bro! The mustang has my attention 24/7 lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

Nfreeman40,

Great Question! You will gain very similar power with a CAI that is NO tune required & TUNE required. However the intakes that require a tune are a bigger diameter, leading to more power. Either way you will not see max gains until you get the car tuned. Check this out, this should clear up your question!

Why Tunes are Required on Cold Air Intakes - Free Shipping!

If you are trying to budget your mods, there is nothing wrong with going with the NO tune required CAI. You will still gain power & the rumble under the hood! However you will still not gain max power until the car is tuned.

I hope this helps! Hit me up if you have any further questions!

- Dan
Thanks so much that is exactly the answer I needed. As I do plan on tuning my car I hire I will be looking for a different brand of air filter due to the one airaid makes for the 2010v6 does not have a removable sleeve o any kind to compensate for a tune. Now time to look at other brands.. Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

You might have already made your decision, but I bought the Airaid CAI, and then the Tune 30 days later. Here's what I experienced:

The Airaid CAI alone doesn't really seem to do much until you're in the higher gears, and in the higher RPMs. Then you get the throaty rumble and the extra boost which feels great, and she really moves.

Once I got the Tune, I put it on 87 Street, and WOW is there a big difference. The CAI kicks in with every touch to the pedal, and she really really REALLY moves in the higher gears. I get the full rumble and full whistle with every acceleration.

So, just FYI - you can do one or both, but the Tune makes a big difference for the money. Still - nothing wrong with the CAI alone.
Quikstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikstang View Post
You might have already made your decision, but I bought the Airaid CAI, and then the Tune 30 days later. Here's what I experienced:

The Airaid CAI alone doesn't really seem to do much until you're in the higher gears, and in the higher RPMs. Then you get the throaty rumble and the extra boost which feels great, and she really moves.

Once I got the Tune, I put it on 87 Street, and WOW is there a big difference. The CAI kicks in with every touch to the pedal, and she really really REALLY moves in the higher gears. I get the full rumble and full whistle with every acceleration.

So, just FYI - you can do one or both, but the Tune makes a big difference for the money. Still - nothing wrong with the CAI alone.
Agree.
2005 Chevy S-10
2007 Hyundai Tiberon GT
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No worries man, I love this forum and the people here are awesome. I spend more time here then I do with my real friends... Damn, that's kinda sad huh? Lol

Real friends..... You mean, were not...real friends. Oh, all those posts, Im just a fool......;(

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai