Oil for 2012 V6 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: Oil for 2012 V6

Show her the owners Manual!!!

Simi Synthetic or full Synthetic is what the engine calls for.

Regular oil will wear out everything in that engine pretty fast.

I hope she don't go to "Jiffy Lube" They have been known to install crap bulk oil and tell people they put in and charge people for Full synthetic oil.
That is not as bad as them stripping out the drain plugs using the stupid air wrench putting it on.

HowStuffWorks "Synthetic vs. Conventional Motor Oil: Which is Best for Your Needs and Environment's?"

Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5 W 30 is what the engine calls for (Simi or Full synthetic)
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Oil for 2012 V6

i could have sworn it was 5w20
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
i could have sworn it was 5w20
It's on the oil cap. But I think the 30 is a tad thicker. The 20 being so thin gives us the gas mileage.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Hi Blackhorse,
Just be certain it is fully synthetic and has the gold certification seal on it. The 5W-20 is the correct viscosity for your car. SIX QUARTS for the 3.7 V-6

**************Do not use regular Motor Oil.*********************

It's so easy to walk into a Walmart, Autozone, or even K-mart and buy Mobil 1 or Castrol edge that there is no excuse for using crap oil in this day & age.

Here is the kicker, take your car to Ford they only use synthetic blend or just regular motorcraft 5w20. Not full synthetic. I change the oil myself and use fully synthetic and I have read more than one thread from Ford master tech's specifically recommending motorcraft syn blend under 20k. Run a search.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I went to the dealership today for "The Works" paid $41.94..is that to much?
BlackHorse1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #41
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Red Stallion 11

When you go to the Ford dealer for the oil change you actually have to ask them to put in the full synthetic.

They will use the Blend by default.

Ronnie
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #42
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHorse1911
What do y'all use?
I use motorcraft synthetic blend
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
When you go to the Ford dealer for the oil change you actually have to ask them to put in the full synthetic.

They will use the Blend by default.

Ronnie
What's the difference?
BlackHorse1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #44
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbRash View Post
How so, besides extended drain intervals?

I'm having the dealer do it until the warranty's up; car comes with SEMI-synthetic Motorcraft oil and that's what I have them use.
You are correct with the semi-synthetic observation. Full synthetic offers longer intervals between oil changes. That's it purpose. If you buy full synthetic, and change it less that 6K, your wasting money.

I use both semi and full in my 2005 F150 and my 2011 Mustang. If full synthetic is on sale when I need a change, I buy it, and run it to 6K. If it's not, then I buy the motorcraft semi-synthetic, and run it to 3K to 3500 miles. I always use the Ford motorcraft oil filter regardless of what oil I use.

Been doing this since both vehicles were new; I have over 110K on the truck, and 34K on the Mustang.

Don't forget the other oils too. If you have an automatic, flush it every 30K (Ford says 130K. If you're leasing, then who cares; if your buying and have an automatic, then take care of it with 30K transmission flushes. Don't forget the filter for the automatic transmission too). Rear end, and radiator coolant flushes too. Use "old school" schedules. Modern engine oil has come a long way, so no need to dump full synthetic from the engine at 3K. You're just tossing money out the window. Go semi synthetic if you want to change the engine oil that early.

Of course if you race, or drive in desert conditions, this changes the rules...

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
It's on the oil cap. But I think the 30 is a tad thicker. The 20 being so thin gives us the gas mileage.
Don't move to 30 weight. Stay with the 5W-20, as this viscosity has to do with the TiVCT (variable valve timing) that works off oil temops and oil pressure. Lots of discussion on this on the "other" Mustang forums. On tech there chewed me a new bottom end because I figured 5W-30 would be better in warmer climates. He said long term engine damage could be caused by a higher viscosity oil. Used what Ford states. They know what they are doing.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have to agree with everyone, I just got my cars oil changed for the first time and I got the Synthetic because it's basically required for '12 Mustangs. It was $75 as opposed to $30 for an oil change, but I know my car will last that much longer because I put the right oil in.

1994 Turquoise V6 Coupe - Bullitt wheels w/street and race tires
LavaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaPony View Post
I have to agree with everyone, I just got my cars oil changed for the first time and I got the Synthetic because it's basically required for '12 Mustangs. It was $75 as opposed to $30 for an oil change, but I know my car will last that much longer because I put the right oil in.
I spend about 85 on my oil changes, why? Because I go full synthetic royal purple with matching royal purple oil filter. It's expensive but I race my pony every Friday with the crew so yea synthetic is great!!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I spent 45 on 6 quarts of motorcraft full sythetic, stp air filter and the motorcraft oil filter. How do y'all get up to 60+ for just oil?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I spent 45 on 6 quarts of motorcraft full sythetic, stp air filter and the motorcraft oil filter. How do y'all get up to 60+ for just oil?
Go check the prices for royal purple and multiply that by 6 and add $14 for the filter
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I got my oil changed, I got full synthetic oil and my tires rotated, the total came to $75, maybe the tire rotation made it more expensive?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #50
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

When I got my oil changed, I got full synthetic oil and my tires rotated, the total came to $75, maybe the tire rotation made it more expensive?
That's pretty good!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My tires are rotated for free ever 5k from where I bought my tires.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My tires are rotated for free ever 5k from where I bought my tires.
Mine came with the car, so I can't really take part in that deal

Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just did my first oil change today. Got 6qts of 5w20 Mobil 1 for $30 and a Motorcraft filter for another $5.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Just did my first oil change today. Got 6qts of 5w20 Mobil 1 for $30 and a Motorcraft filter for another $5.
But was it synthetic oil?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #55
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
If that was Mobil 1 FULL synthetic, then he stole the 6 quarts!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mine came with the car, so I can't really take part in that deal
You're still on your first set? I guess the people that drove my car burnt the rubber on rental time because I had to put on a new set after 30,000 miles.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If that was Mobil 1 FULL synthetic, then he stole the 6 quarts!
That's cheap for Mobil 1 but they don't use a full on full synthetic. It's recycled and partly mixed
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #57
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

All about re-cycled motor oil

Read this,
Can Oil Be Recycled?: Scientific American

They do re-cycle oil but not at refineries like the one's that produce Mobil 1 and Castrol or Penzoil Etc.

When they do talk about blended oil they are talking Synthetic blended with non-synthetic and not re-cycled and synthetic blended together.

Like this article Say's: There is no pipeline for used oil to go to any refinery at all. This special refinery has to truck collect all of the used oil they refine.

White Lightning said:
Quote:
That's cheap for Mobil 1 but they don't use a full on full synthetic. It's recycled and partly mixed
I'm guessing he was totally mis-informed and now is educated on how used motor oil is re-refined and used. Not by Mobil 1 or any other name brand or obscure brand motor oil company.

Ronnie
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You're still on your first set? I guess the people that drove my car burnt the rubber on rental time because I had to put on a new set after 30,000 miles.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Well I only bought my car 3 months ago, the tires are brand new.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, Mobil 1 is. I just went to Walmart and grabbed the 5 liter (5.25 quarts or there abouts) container for $24 and another quart was $6. Walmart always has cheap prices on oil cause they buy in such bulk, even when it's not on sale. I went to Autozone to get the filter since Walmart doesn't carry Motorcraft.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

People really seem to like those motorcraft filters. Why not K&N or Wix? I have always used wix on my cars after I talked to my friends dad about why he used them.... He had 400k miles on his old f150, that was 3 years ago and he still drives it. Runs good for an old truck and he said he has never had any major engine...... You know what they say. if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

I prefer to use factory when I can, especially since I'm under warranty. Nothing wrong with most $5+ filters.

However, motorcrafts do have a unique oil filter design with orings inside the housing to seal on the shaft that goes into the filter. What benefit is this if any? I don't know, but it'ss interesting only Ford does it.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #62
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Be observant of the Mobile 1 you are buying. They have changed their labeling on the oil. They have:
'ULTIMATE' (full synthetic)
'SUPERIOR' (full synthetic)
'PREMIUM' (full synthetic)

As you see, all are full synthetic, but each one can offer different mileage ranges between oil changes, outside operating temperatures, and engine mileage protection pertaining to how many miles you have on the engine.

Mobile 1 synthetic is not all the same! Click on the link below (what's right for my car) and read more about it. This site (Mobile 1) has you enter your year, make, and mileage, then offers you their suggestion:

What's the right oil for my car?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

They've always had those, with different labels. The fancier ones get more expensive, like the gold label ones that say 15k miles. I'm running the regular Mobil 1 and changing it every 5k.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #64
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
They've always had those, with different labels. The fancier ones get more expensive, like the gold label ones that say 15k miles. I'm running the regular Mobil 1 and changing it every 5k.
You may be looking at existing stock at your auto parts store or where you purchase it. Mobile 1 has recently changed its way in which it's oil is presented. Happened about 2 months ago. I have a great private auto parts store I buy from. The owner has been running the store for over 30 years. I usually head up there on a Saterday morning with a box of donuts and a couple of coffees and chat with this guy (I get better discounts!). We've had talks about all the oil myths and such, and he was the one that pointed out that Mobil 1 and the industry is changing their way in how synthetics are now being marketed. The oil itself is not changing, just (hopefully) the confusion on how they can and are used, and for what specific applications (high mileage, mixing with other oil types, etc).

Your correct, and doing it right. Many others get caught up in the myths that are out there on "web land" and get mis-informed.

No doubt there will be yet another oil and/or oil filter thread that starts up within a month here!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 v6