Who has removed the rear spoiler? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Who has removed the rear spoiler?

I searched but didn't find any threads on removing the stock spoiler. I am replacing it with the GT/CS 4 post style. When I ordered the car I tried to delete the spoiler but it wasn't an option with the MCA edition.

So what is involved with removing the spoiler? You can see the stock spoiler in the picture when the car arrived. And the other two pictures I set the new spoiler on just to get an idea. Just need to figure out what is involved with removing the old spoiler now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03569.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	57092   Click image for larger version

Name:	test fit 1 spoiler.jpg
Views:	5509
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	57093  

Name:	test fit 2 spoiler.jpg
Views:	4211
Size:	912.6 KB
ID:	57094  
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

Region: Georgia
I just installed this same spoiler last weekend. The stock spoiler is held on by 4 screws and two strips of like 3M tape or some other kind of adhesive. Once you get the screws off, you just need to try and lift one side of the spoiler and start cutting the adhesive. Once you cut enough of it, it'll start to tear and the the spoiler will come off. Then you just need to clean off the remaining residue with some mineral spirits or other cleaner you have. The GT/CS spoiler will line up with the original spoilers screw holes so installing it is really easy. The car looks much better with the GT/CS spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-519716073.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	57119  
aweb1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Re: Who has removed the rear spoiler?

Any pictures of the removal? It looked like there are 2 sets of screws on each side, one set on the outside covered by a plug, and then another set under the trunk liner. The GT/CS looks great on your car, much better than the flat spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweb1113
I just installed this same spoiler last weekend. The stock spoiler is held on by 4 screws and two strips of like 3M tape or some other kind of adhesive. Once you get the screws off, you just need to try and lift one side of the spoiler and start cutting the adhesive. Once you cut enough of it, it'll start to tear and the the spoiler will come off. Then you just need to clean off the remaining residue with some mineral spirits or other cleaner you have. The GT/CS spoiler will line up with the original spoilers screw holes so installing it is really easy. The car looks much better with the GT/CS spoiler.
Did you get yours painted? How much?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

whoa...wait a minute......
You mean to tell me the 4 in a row (along trunk edge) holes from the factory lip line up perfectly for a GT/CS spoiler.........?
Oh im pissed at my dealer now...they said id have to drill....you go pics from the removal and install...?

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

Did you get yours painted? How much?
Yeah I took it to Black Lab Automotive in Roswell and they painted it and installed it for $100. They did a really good job painting it and were less than a third of the price any where else.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

without having to drill the trunk to install it....?

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 06-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom
whoa...wait a minute......
You mean to tell me the 4 in a row (along trunk edge) holes from the factory lip line up perfectly for a GT/CS spoiler.........?
Oh im pissed at my dealer now...they said id have to drill....you go pics from the removal and install...?
The 4 holes along the trunk edge do line up perfectly with the GT/CS spoiler. I watched it get installed and helped a little bit. The only reason to drill is to get the spoiler really flush with the top of the trunk. There is a tiny gap between the two outside posts and the top of the trunk on mine. It's such a small gap though that they told me it wasn't worth drilling holes for and I think they were right. I'll take some pics tomorrow to show you. And I'll take some pics of the old spoiler to show the adhesive that was holding it on.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote:
without having to drill the trunk to install it....?
Yeah without any drilling
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

wonderful! another purchase....well....once I find more money..LOL! All tapped out getting Slimer ready for Mustang Week.....thats what tax money is for right.....hee hee

Old 06-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I took it to Black Lab Automotive in Roswell and they painted it and installed it for $100. They did a really good job painting it and were less than a third of the price any where else.
Nice! Do you think they have grabber blue paint though?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

Nice! Do you think they have grabber blue paint though?
They didn't have ingot silver so I just gave them the name of the color and the paint code and they did the rest. Matches the car perfectly so I don't think it'll be any problem for them to get grabber blue.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

JIm, tried to delete the same spoiler and add the one you will be mounting from the factory...that was a no go, especially since it went from being available across the board to just the GTs. I passed on it from dealer getting it ONLY because of having to drill....now im gonna go and beat them up over it and see if I can have it at dealer cost...when I have more dough of course...lol!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

I tried the spoiler delete as well, and because I have the MCA package the spoiler is part of the package and couldn't be deleted. It's good to hear that the bolts will all line up and no drilling. I was going to take it to my painter to have him do it, but maybe I will get it done today with the heat it may be easier to cut through and remove the old 3M tape on the stock spoiler.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yeah...plenty of heat outside. Did the spoiler come stock in black primer....? I may leave it that way and install in that color since I have that green and black theme going...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #15

So here's a couple pics of the stock spoiler and the strips of adhesive on it. There's also a bunch of adhesive around the two end screws which are a pain to get off. In the other pic you can see the small gap between the spoiler posts and the trunk. The two end posts have the extra screw holes where you would have to drill, but the gap is so small it doesn't make since to go through the hassle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1490347315.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	57180   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3259804845.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	57181  

Name:	image-350770828.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	57182  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They didn't have ingot silver so I just gave them the name of the color and the paint code and they did the rest. Matches the car perfectly so I don't think it'll be any problem for them to get grabber blue.
Dang I definitely want that now
Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

my next purchase for sure! Thanks for the pics Aweb, and for sharing your mod with the group

Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks for the pictures. I was looking at my new spoiler today and it has 2 screws at each mount (total of 8 therefore).

And Gtzzoom - if you were asking me about the color, I ordered it painted in the ebony black (stock UA color for Ford). I picked it up on ebay for only $169 shipped, and it has the Ford part number on the package even.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

thats a good price....I saw that auction. Yes...BUT you can secure it just as well with the four main ones...once you get it snug, im sure its not gonna rattle.....

Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

aweb? where did you get the spoiler from???

Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #21

Quote:
aweb? where did you get the spoiler from???
I got it from American Muscle
Old 07-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

might explain why Jim's had 8 bolts...not just four. your new one come with only 4 or...?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #23

Quote:
might explain why Jim's had 8 bolts...not just four. your new one come with only 4 or...?
Mine did come with more than 4 bolts... either 6 or 8 I don't remember. But where I had it installed, they said they would have have to cut some of the steel on the inside of the trunk to get to where they needed to drill the extra holes. It would have looked the same had they drilled the extra holes so it wasn't worth the time and money to drill.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

ahhhh...so they arent permenant studs....just bolts into the bottom of spoiler...ok, i get it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang