New 2013 Mustang questions for the new guy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
New 2013 Mustang questions for the new guy

Hi Mustang community!

I'm new here, just registered. I thought it would be a good idea to stop in and see some Mustang experts and ask a few questions as a potential new owner. Hopefully it's all right to just fire away with some questions here. I appreciate any feedback, even if it's only to part of this. So without further ado...

1) A little background, I'm a "young married" that is looking to purchase his first new car. I've always had older used ones. I am not a car enthusiast by any means, nor do I intend to be. I got to drive some Mustangs very briefly recently and just thought it was pretty fun, and could add some enjoyment to an otherwise boring commute! I have no intention of racing this thing or anything like that.

I love the Mustang for what it delivers off the lot, stock, and for its appearance as-is. Is it silly to buy one with no intentions of buying aftermarket stuff and doing a lot of tinkering?

2) Building off #1, I'm looking for a "daily driver" car. It's going to see miles. It's going to see the road. And it's going to see it through all seasons. I'm in Michigan. There's snow here. This will be my car, and if I go somewhere, it would be in this. Is this just plain stupid of me? (My wife owns and drivers a larger 'regular' sedan)

3) I've focused primarily on the v6. The GT is a little more expensive than I'd like to drop on a first car. with the greatly improved models, has the negative connotation with the v6 been shaken? Does it still push you into your seat when you hit the pedal?

Thanks all!
BubbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleStang
Hi Mustang community!

I'm new here, just registered. I thought it would be a good idea to stop in and see some Mustang experts and ask a few questions as a potential new owner. Hopefully it's all right to just fire away with some questions here. I appreciate any feedback, even if it's only to part of this. So without further ado...

1) A little background, I'm a "young married" that is looking to purchase his first new car. I've always had older used ones. I am not a car enthusiast by any means, nor do I intend to be. I got to drive some Mustangs very briefly recently and just thought it was pretty fun, and could add some enjoyment to an otherwise boring commute! I have no intention of racing this thing or anything like that.

I love the Mustang for what it delivers off the lot, stock, and for its appearance as-is. Is it silly to buy one with no intentions of buying aftermarket stuff and doing a lot of tinkering?

2) Building off #1, I'm looking for a "daily driver" car. It's going to see miles. It's going to see the road. And it's going to see it through all seasons. I'm in Michigan. There's snow here. This will be my car, and if I go somewhere, it would be in this. Is this just plain stupid of me? (My wife owns and drivers a larger 'regular' sedan)

3) I've focused primarily on the v6. The GT is a little more expensive than I'd like to drop on a first car. with the greatly improved models, has the negative connotation with the v6 been shaken? Does it still push you into your seat when you hit the pedal?

Thanks all!
First off, hello and welcome! Now to start your list:
1) It is perfectly fine to buy a car and leave it as is, more people dont mod there cars than do, so you'd be in majority.

2) It didn't snow in NC this year so someone else is gonna have to chime in on that aspect, but through every other season the mine handled just fine. The v6 gets awesome gas milage and (for me) was very comfortable so all the time on the road shouldn't be a problem.

3) The v6 has turned into one amazing machine. It'll put you back in your seat when you get on it if you want it to. I had a '12 v6 for a year before I traded in for the gt and it was an excellent car. Only reason I traded it was because I got the gt for around what I owed on the v6 and for only $3 more a month.

Hope this helped some, good luck on your decision! I'm sure more ppl will chime in to help you out as well
Uscgfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: New 2013 Mustang questions for the new guy

The V-6 is an excellent choice for what you said you wanted the Mustang to do. I'm the same way now that my Auto-X and hot lap days are over. I bought the Mustang Club of America premium edition with the Automatic Transmission and I did do a few Modifications ( see___ "you wanna see my first mods "????? ) on this forum to see what I have done.

I will change the mufflers when I can afford the one's I want and I will be done. "Gotta sound like a Mustang"

I bought the three year extended bumper to bumper warranty just to force me not to fool with the engine, rear transmission ETC. I'll just leave this car stock with the few bolt on's I already added.

The V-6 is way cheaper on insurance and uses regular gas. It does have way more then enough power for normal street driving. It rides great and handles like a dream.

Yep, You are making a good choice, BUT if you decide you want to go fast and have more power in the future all you need to do is spend $$$$ and remember to start with changing the drive shaft.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
As said before, many people do not mod their mustangs. As far as all season, had no trouble in the light snow we had here in Kentucky and I have a GT. also as previously mentioned, these sixxers have plenty of go and good gas mileage, and if you do not plan on racing it or care too much about the power this is a great dd.

Good luck and hope to see you join the family!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

my 2012 has 6k miles on it, gets 29high way (manual, automatic gets 31 i believe). Normal city/highway driving the average is around 23-25mpg depending on how much city driving you do.

Ride is very good considering its a live axle car, it handles good overall. Only issue is the back seat is small~ doesnt bother me but it might some.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleStang View Post

I live in Michigan as well and I drive a 45 mile one way commute every day. Drove my 2006 Mustang from April 2006 until I sold it a couple of weeks ago for the 2013. Never had any problems in snow. Never loaded up the trunk with extra weight either. Drove on the Pirelli Pzero Neros.

Snow is not that big of a deal. Some dedicated snow tires might be better, but like I said I never had a problem. I find rear wheel drive easier to handle in the snow - and when I got my license there were very few FWD (Olds Toronado and Cadillac El Dorado was about it). We didn't sit home all winter or break out the horse and sleigh!

You have to drive appropriately for the conditions, but that is a given no matter what you drive. Even a 4WD vehicle still has to obey the laws of physics and gravity - and when they go blasting by in a blizzard at 75 or 80 it just means they will be 4 times as stuck.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You can't be the v6, especially if you buy a premium version with the upgrades. It's does great on gas, especially on the highway. And when you want to have fun with it there are 305+ horses at your disposal.

The only problem I have with what you said is that you dont want to modify it. You should take into consideration that a lot of the mods available increase your hp AND MPG. Some of us are getting 34 mpg hwy.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2013 mustang