Roush Axle Backs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Roush Axle Backs

So one of my first mods was going to be a set of axle backs and I've been shopping around for quite some time. I have a guy right now who is selling a set of Roush backs for $300. He said he used them for a year and they're pretty clean. What do you guys think? Good or bad?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'd try to talk him down a bit. Maybe $250? Just make sure they're in good shape.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: Roush Axle Backs

Make sure they fit your car
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, good call. But they do definitely fit my 3.7. I'm looking forward to picking them up and getting them installed hopefully tomorrow! Finally my 3.7 is going to sound like a 5.0.

An outstanding DD
Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't expect it to sound like a 5.0...
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm positive it will sound better then the stock mufflers on your Mustang but like cyclon37 Say's:
Quote:
I wouldn't expect it to sound like a 5.0...
It will sound good though.
Ronnie
Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I test drove a black Cobra...that sounded like the bullet-stang...Mmmmmm..I did want it but knew it would not be a car I wanted to ever drive in the winter or leave in a parking lot..... But it was RED HOT and sounded GOOD. It was hard not to burn rubber when starting off in it... My inner child really wanted it... Damn it sounded good every time I blipped the throttle..... If it had been dark green metalic......
ohiomgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I have the roush axel back in my 3.7.. It sounds deep at cold start up and has a pop corn popping noise when you rev it at idle..

It was a good tone at low Rpms but you hit the metal it has a higher pitch .. It's a V6 what do you expect.

Although it does sound really good .. Many people will compare it to a euro car rather than the American old school mustang sound.

When my warranty is up I am going to add some long tube headers and mid pipes. There is a video on YouTube with the roush axel and it sounds pretty damn mean.

Overall I'm happy with it!

Ryan
MustangDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Picked up the exhaust last night and got it installed a little over a hour later. The new set wasn't bad to put on, but the old ones coming off were quite difficult.

It really does sound a lot better than stock. I agree, doesn't sound like a 5.0, but it has a tone that is quite unique. I could SLIGHTLY see how somebody could say it sounds like a ricer, but it still has a deep, mellow tone at cursing and at low rpms. The drone on the highway isn't bad either and defiantly turns heads when you punch it.

I like it.

An outstanding DD
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you like! I'm still waiting to hear some Roush in person to compare them to my Magnaflow.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Forgot to add some pictures to my last post...

The online YouTube and supplier videos don't do a justice when trying to find the right exhaust, you got to hear them in person in order to get the real tone. I hope you come across a set of Roush pipes to get your comparison! I still am waiting on hearing any aftermarket exhaust in person for a 11-13' Mustang. Not a lot of us on the road out by me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	58188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	58189  

An outstanding DD
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They do look great on your car. You stole them for $300.00

I'm really happy you like them.
Ronnie
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I've already put over 7k miles since I put them on.. You will notice that your muffler will sound deeper as more carbon builds up.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post
Forgot to add some pictures to my last post...

The online YouTube and supplier videos don't do a justice when trying to find the right exhaust, you got to hear them in person in order to get the real tone. I hope you come across a set of Roush pipes to get your comparison! I still am waiting on hearing any aftermarket exhaust in person for a 11-13' Mustang. Not a lot of us on the road out by me.
So...do you LIKE the sound... Are you comfortable with how they sound from the drivers seat, cruising down the road...and under load... ? I am considering a pair and am REAL curious.

Summit Racing is just down the road... from me.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They do look great on your car. You stole them for $300.00

I'm really happy you like them.
Ronnie
Thanks, Ronnie! I'm pretty stoaked about it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomgman View Post
So...do you LIKE the sound... Are you comfortable with how they sound from the drivers seat, cruising down the road...and under load... ? I am considering a pair and am REAL curious.

Summit Racing is just down the road... from me.
Yes. I really do enjoy the tone and would defiantly recommend them from any angle of the car, inside and out. The cruising tone (drone) inside the cabin is really not that bad, at around 2500rpms there is a slight drone with the windows up, but when the windows down and my tunes up you can't hear anything. (But when you punch it, you can hear every part of it!)

Every time I start the car now I smile even more then I did before I had them on! I can't speak on behalf of the Magnaflows or any other brand because I have yet to hear anything else in person. But from what I hear online, the Roush set should be considered in your decision.

An outstanding DD
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Start up sounds great and you can hear the tone from a block away.. It's not old school muscle but it does sound different. I had ppl at stop lights ask me what kind of work I've done and all I said its just an axel back.. Enjoy it.. It is a slight drone but if you put your music up you won't hear it. Just don't take conference calls from your car hahah!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have old school muscle to listen to in the garage when no other song will do.... I put miles on my 2012, "stang" over the road.. and just don't want my eyeballs vibrated and pulsed out of their sockets while cruising... BUT... I do want a bit more MUSTANG, DOHC, V-6 when cruising... A happy medium so to speak.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Keep an eye on them because they tend to rust fast and easy. (speaking from experience)
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Are the Mufflers made of Stainless Steel?

If so they should never rust.

I think DDTCM is thinking about the Flow master steel mufflers.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Are the Mufflers made of Stainless Steel?

If so they should never rust.

I think DDTCM is thinking about the Flow master steel mufflers.

Nope,I'm talking about the Roush axelbacks on my 2011 which has 4k miles and never seen a drop of rain and yes they are rusting. I'm not the first person with this issue though.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow,
I thought Roush mufflers were stainless steel. I guess they are not. I wonder why they cost so much $$$$ if not completely stainless steel?

I had Magnaflows on my Corvette for ten years and they were just as new looking as the day I put them on when I traded the car. I live in Port Orange Florida {Daytona Beach} and you would think they would not last but there was no signs of them magnaflows needing to be replaced.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep an eye on them because they tend to rust fast and easy. (speaking from experience)
I thought they were all stainless too? That's what AM says...?

Quote:
BUT... I do want a bit more MUSTANG, DOHC, V-6 when cruising... A happy medium so to speak.
The Roush might be for you.

An outstanding DD
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
i got the Roush Axle backs also, they sound great to me. once you get to 3000 rpms. it comes alive.
and running 70mph on an incline it get a good bit of drone, but just turn up the radio and its all good.
if you drop to 5th running 70 its not.near as bad but then the mpg drop lol.

also if you use the forum discount its cheaper then an emplyee discount from the roush dept. only by about five bucks but feels good to know your geting it as cheap as anyone else.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Nope,I'm talking about the Roush axelbacks on my 2011 which has 4k miles and never seen a drop of rain and yes they are rusting. I'm not the first person with this issue though.
Whoa. Would the borlas be worth it then for the lifetime warranty? Does magnaflow have lifetime warranty? (i thought i heard mario andretti say it in a commercial) i like the sound of the roushes from the vids ive seen.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Magnaflow has a Lifetime warranty against everything except damage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang