Tubo vs super/procharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Tubo vs super/procharger

Whats the difference besides boost, pulleys, and wear and tear? Which would you go with?
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: Tubo vs super/procharger

Well,
Super chargers are really cool. They make a great whizzing sound and they provide a lot of power.
********************But***********************************
A Super charger takes power from the engine to run it.

A turbo robs no power from the engine, It does not make the great whirring sounds of a supercharger and if you get a twin scroll turbo you will get no turbo lag. A single rotor turbo will hesitate before the power comes on.(TURBO LAG)

I personally would go for a supercharger for the street just for the sound and prestige. I don't run hot laps or Auto-X anymore so the supercharger would be better for me.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Without making a big writeup.. SC draws more power from the engine then a TC which also = more wear and tear. Also takes longer for a SC to run full boost then a TC. TC is really the better option. I'm still debating which to do, but am leaning towards the procharger. I'm not looking for loads of power and I'd be happy with 400 at the wheels plus the jet engine sound the procharger makes
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Eh... Any of you guys ever owned either?

Superchargers use a pulley and engine power to compress the air and make boost. Boost from a supercharger is instant. The minute you floor the car, it's making 100% boost. They usually have a whine associated with them that sounds great. The bad is the instant boost means more sudden impact for the drivetrain, or more wear and tear. They also take horsepower to make horsepower since they are driven by the engine. This parasitic drag can leech off upwards 100hp.

Three types of superchargers too. The roots, which is your standard blower. Inefficient and they create a lot of heat. The M112 on Cobras is a roots. Whipple, which is like a Kenne Bell. They make a way louder whine and compress the air a lot more efficiently. Then centrifugal. Procharger's are this style and are basically turbo compressors attached to a pulley. They don't have a associated whine of a supercharger either. Roots and Whipples both generally required liquid cooled intercoolers mounted below them on the intake. Centrifugals can use air to air intercoolers like turbos, which require less mechanical objects to run and are more efficient at cooling the air. Basically trading a whole separate water cooling system for a few more air ducts.

Turbos run off the exhaust gas to turn a turbine and compress air. Huge turbo setups can have a lot of lag (takes more time for the turbo to spool off exhaust gases, it's not instant), but for most cars it isn't an issue as long as you get the proper turbo size. Due to the lag of building boost, they're usually more gradual in their transition to power and are easier on the powertrain. More like a cushioned transition. A turbo setup will make more HP than a supercharger at any given boost level because they require no engine power to run. Superchargers have their cool whine, turbos have a whistle and they use a blowoff valve that you can change to have a number of different sounds.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I'll add this too. Superchargers gain boost PSI by dropping pullies (spin it faster, more boost!), however it also generates more heat and takes even more engine power each time you drop a pulley.

Turbos always make the same amount of boost. It's why you get one big enough for what you expect you'll want and don't short change yourself. You adjust the boost on them with boost controllers that bleed off the excess boost you don't want to a desired, lower PSI level.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I always thought turbos were for ricers. So how long do you think a turbo would last in a 3.7. I plan on doing my boss 227 with one later in life. Maybe at the 120k mile mark. But whichever lasts the longest and gives me a good jump I'm happy with.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I always thought turbos were for ricers. So how long do you think a turbo would last in a 3.7. I plan on doing my boss 227 with one later in life. Maybe at the 120k mile mark. But whichever lasts the longest and gives me a good jump I'm happy with.
Most ricers I've known couldn't afford one, the tuners on the other hand... Lol my wrx had a turbo does that make me one???? :*( lol jk
Before I traded it I was gonna turbo my v6. But now... Looks like SC all the way
Uscgfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Good write up sanguin and far more then I was willing to write this morning lol. But I don't really agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Boost from a supercharger is instant. The minute you floor the car, it's making 100% boost.
For a roots or twin screw it may be true. But not on a centrifugal type such as the procharger which is the only supercharger available for the 3.7. The centrifugals create the lowest amount of boost in low rpm's compared to the other two. The procharger does have a bit of "lag" kinda like a turbo. My old 04 V6 was procharged and was relatively tame and felt NA until around 3000ish rpm's? I know people running the procharger on there 3.7 who say the same thing. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you said?? I think it's a great choice for this reason though which is why I will probably end up getting it as soon as I can save up! Daily driving it'll stay relatively tame and when I need the power I just have to punch it!

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Turbos definitely aren't ricer as the other guy said they can't afford one. Unless you mean a ricer turbo which is just a homemade cold air intake! But I'd grab the procharger. It's a good kit. Turbos are more complicated imo :/ But they will give you the most power. If the 400ish+ to the wheels from the procharger isn't enough lol
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have only messed with roots blowers, I'll admit. My Grand Prix is running a dropped pulley M90. It hits 12lbs boost from go. If a procharged unit lacks bottom end, I don't see the reason to go with it and not a turbo.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

i like the procharger from what u guys are saying. go with that and when you just cruisin around town u wont suffer on mpg's but when its time to go itll go
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No blower makes boost unless you floor it. They still add a bit of parasitic loss to the drivetrain. Turbos are still more mpg efficient.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Roots type blowers are instant low end boost and torque. Had that on my 4.0 and the car got out of the hole quickly and on the highway I could change lanes with full boost right away by hitting the pedal.

The reason that the centrifugal supercharger takes longer to build boost is because it is at its essence a belt driven turbo charger. So like a turbo, it will make more power than a roots type blower on the top end, but not have the low end torque - and it needs to spool up to build boost.

Since the centri uses a belt it won't make as much power as a turbo which doesn't have the parasitic power loss.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That doesn't make sense. The reason a turbo lags is how much exhaust has to pass the turbine to get it up to speed. Some turbos have virtually no lag depending on setup.

The procharger shouldnt have to wait to build boost, the pulley is always spinning it at max speed.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uscgfs

Most ricers I've known couldn't afford one, the tuners on the other hand... Lol my wrx had a turbo does that make me one???? :*( lol jk
Before I traded it I was gonna turbo my v6. But now... Looks like SC all the way
Ricers and tuners are different? I'm sorry but if it's not a Ford, GM, or Merican made its a ricer/ tuner. Same thing to me. Yes I said Merican. Subbys are nice though.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ricers and tuners are different? I'm sorry but if it's not a Ford, GM, or Merican made its a ricer/ tuner. Same thing to me. Yes I said Merican. Subbys are nice though.
So by your logic a Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc are all ricers? Idk about that Tuners are cars that are modded properly and can be some pretty sweet cars that can whoop a lot of our asses. Ricers are people who put useless tacky looking things on there car. Like putting a big wing, fart can and a turbo emblem on there old beat up honda where every panel is a different color! You can have ricer mustangs don't forget and there is a lot of em'!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Cyclon37

You are sure correct on what you say here"
Quote:
Ricers are people who put useless tacky looking things on there car. Like putting a big wing, fart can and a turbo emblem
I have seen late model Mustangs here in Daytona with Roush stickers all over them. ( A GT is not a Roush ) I just laugh at the idiots when they have Cobra stick on's and Roush stickers and think nobody will know their secrete.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Personally I like blowers better. No turbo lag, big deal in these cars as they put out no power until you hit 3k rpm
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Cyclon37

You are sure correct on what you say here"

I have seen late model Mustangs here in Daytona with Roush stickers all over them. ( A GT is not a Roush ) I just laugh at the idiots when they have Cobra stick on's and Roush stickers and think nobody will know their secrete.

Ronnie
Why do you think I call my car a boss 227 but the words are no were on the car?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Eh... Any of you guys ever owned either?

Superchargers use a pulley and engine power to compress the air and make boost. Boost from a supercharger is instant. The minute you floor the car, it's making 100% boost. They usually have a whine associated with them that sounds great. The bad is the instant boost means more sudden impact for the drivetrain, or more wear and tear. They also take horsepower to make horsepower since they are driven by the engine. This parasitic drag can leech off upwards 100hp.

Three types of superchargers too. The roots, which is your standard blower. Inefficient and they create a lot of heat. The M112 on Cobras is a roots. Whipple, which is like a Kenne Bell. They make a way louder whine and compress the air a lot more efficiently. Then centrifugal. Procharger's are this style and are basically turbo compressors attached to a pulley. They don't have a associated whine of a supercharger either. Roots and Whipples both generally required liquid cooled intercoolers mounted below them on the intake. Centrifugals can use air to air intercoolers like turbos, which require less mechanical objects to run and are more efficient at cooling the air. Basically trading a whole separate water cooling system for a few more air ducts.

Turbos run off the exhaust gas to turn a turbine and compress air. Huge turbo setups can have a lot of lag (takes more time for the turbo to spool off exhaust gases, it's not instant), but for most cars it isn't an issue as long as you get the proper turbo size. Due to the lag of building boost, they're usually more gradual in their transition to power and are easier on the powertrain. More like a cushioned transition. A turbo setup will make more HP than a supercharger at any given boost level because they require no engine power to run. Superchargers have their cool whine, turbos have a whistle and they use a blowoff valve that you can change to have a number of different sounds.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I'll add this too. Superchargers gain boost PSI by dropping pullies (spin it faster, more boost!), however it also generates more heat and takes even more engine power each time you drop a pulley.

Turbos always make the same amount of boost. It's why you get one big enough for what you expect you'll want and don't short change yourself. You adjust the boost on them with boost controllers that bleed off the excess boost you don't want to a desired, lower PSI level.
+11, good Info.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11
Personally I like blowers better. No turbo lag, big deal in these cars as they put out no power until you hit 3k rpm
Centri's like the procharger lag and it's the only one we can get. Gears are what are needed. Too bad we don't have any roots or twin screw for us
Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

So by your logic a Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc are all ricers? Idk about that Tuners are cars that are modded properly and can be some pretty sweet cars that can whoop a lot of our asses. Ricers are people who put useless tacky looking things on there car. Like putting a big wing, fart can and a turbo emblem on there old beat up honda where every panel is a different color! You can have ricer mustangs don't forget and there is a lot of em'!
I'm an American raised, fed, and bred. Not one of those hicks though lol I'm from the big city. I like a Ferrari but those are super cars. Ricers live in Walmart and autozone appearance aisles. I've seen some tuner cars before and they are friggin sweet. But I like my ole Bessy. Merica!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm an American raised, fed, and bred. Not one of those hicks though lol I'm from the big city. I like a Ferrari but those are super cars. Ricers live in Walmart and autozone appearance aisles. I've seen some tuner cars before and they are friggin sweet. But I like my ole Bessy. Merica!
I knew what you were getting at just messin
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

And I had to get all Alabama On you. And no the rumors are false we aren't inbred. That's west Virginia
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I thought it was Arkansas?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe someone should put in a call to Kenne Bell........
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

West Virginia has only 13 last names in the entire state.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang