Cat Back vs. Axel Back - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to syas07
Cat Back vs. Axel Back

What's the difference? Besides cat back having the longer tubes (sorry for not knowing the exact words, I'm a dummy! )

Is there a performance difference? Is the pricier cat worth it? So forth.
syas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
From what I understand there isn't much of a difference unless you upgrade your mid pipe
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
The catback systems include over axle pipes as well as new mid pipes. The pipes used are usually larger in diameter and also delete the resonators. Many catbacks replace h pipe with xpipe (not all of them do though). It gives an overall better tone most of the time and if you get xpipe it will increase high end power a little

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to syas07
Basically I'm looking at the Magnaflow Comps. Do I need to buy an X pipe as well? Does it void the warranty? Thanks, sorry for being a newbie lol
syas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Magnaflow competition includes everything aft of the cats (overaxle and axle backs). You do not need a tune for this, and therefore, I don't think you'll have a warranty issue (up to the dealer really). You can add an off road x pipe. This will net you some power, but will require a tune due to the lack of O2 sensors. Any tune voids warranty.

In reference to your earlier question, catbacks give you a tiny bit of power, axlebacks are really for sound only. Idk about the V6, but I believe the 5.0 gets the most power gain from an off road mid pipe.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you want performance gains, get the catback with a new mid-pipe. If you just want sound, axle-backs are fine. Just the catback won't give much gains over and axle-back unless you get a new mid-pipe as well. If they had the catback with quad tips I would've gotten it with a new mid-pipe over just the axle-backs. I actually would've wanted the magnaflow x-pipe if it wasn't $1000....
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang