Deciding on CAI's ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaseh504
Deciding on CAI's ?

I looked at the air raid cold air, and the steeda pro flow cold air intakes and they both look good, of course the steeda is about $120 more but it gives twice as much lb/ft torque and a little bit more hp... But the air raid has really good reviews too and it cost way less... So what do you guys think

Air raid
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...ir-2011v6.html

Or steeda
http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...ai-1112v6.html

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

And plusni can get the air raid intake with the bama tuner in a package deal for $620... Thats gona save me roughly $140 from getting the steeda and bama tuner..
Just something else to think about
Chaseh504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Steeda requires a tune keep in mind. All CAI's are basically the same though for the most part. The difference in gains will be minimal if any.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well i was going to purchase this as well
http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-2011v6.html

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

The best money deal would be the air raid and bama tune package for $620
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Don't forget the AM discount!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
Don't forget the AM discount!
On what?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The forum discount
Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The forum discount
How do i use that? Whats the qualifications?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Go to the supports our sponsors section and then AM. There's a sticky about it. We've got a new AM rep though and I forget his name.. Anyone?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go to the supports our sponsors section and then AM. There's a sticky about it. We've got a new AM rep though and I forget his name.. Anyone?
Wheres that section at i cant find it
Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Deciding on CAI's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh504 View Post
I looked at the air raid cold air, and the steeda pro flow cold air intakes and they both look good, of course the steeda is about $120 more but it gives twice as much lb/ft torque and a little bit more hp... But the air raid has really good reviews too and it cost way less... So what do you guys think

Air raid
Airaid Cold Air Intake (11-13 V6) 450-265 - Free Shipping!

Or steeda
Steeda Mustang ProFlow Cold Air Intake (11-13 V6) 555-3159 - Free Shipping!

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

And plusni can get the air raid intake with the bama tuner in a package deal for $620... Thats gona save me roughly $140 from getting the steeda and bama tuner..
Just something else to think about
Chaseh504,

Great choice, CAI & Tuner is always the first mod I recommend for anyone. You will see huge power gains from this set up, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Airaid or Steeda. They are both great construction & quality products. You will see very similar power & torque gains between the two items!

Best of luck on your decision, let me know if I can be of any assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

- Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh504

Wheres that section at i cant find it
PM Dan^
Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I don't think one will have more power gains than the other. Same concept. I personally got the Airraid CAI but with the synthetic filter (synthmax i think its called) that doesn't require oil. When I was talking to the dealership about it, they said they had had customers with MAF sensors gumming up if there was too much oil in the filter. I personally have never had that happen but better safe than sorry.

The tune is what is supposed to make the difference tho. I have my tuner waiting for me at home right now. Hopefully I'll have it tuned by this weekend. You can't go wrong with American Muscle
davidn7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

Chaseh504,

Great choice, CAI & Tuner is always the first mod I recommend for anyone. You will see huge power gains from this set up, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Airaid or Steeda. They are both great construction & quality products. You will see very similar power & torque gains between the two items!

Best of luck on your decision, let me know if I can be of any assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

- Dan
It's just the prices are so different.. I want the steeda but it costs way more but if it gives me a way better power difference then I want that one
Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #14
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Get it! I've got the Steeda CAI for my 5.0 it's not just the tune but the overall assembly and quality of Steeda's products. I helped my friend install a JLT CAI in his 5.0 and it doesn't use all the mounting points as the Steeda does. I don't know if the Airaid is any better. Just sharing my experience with Steeda.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the Airaid CAI. The construction is quality. Not sure about the Steeda, but everything I have ever purchased with Steeda name on it has been top quality. In this case I would advise you to buy the cheaper one.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The difference in the Steeda is that it replaces your MAF sensor instead of reusing the stock one like the Airaid. It has increased airflow that your ECU can't be corrected for w/o a tune which is why it requires a tune. Is it worth the extra $? Don't think so.. Any gains would be minimal and most likely in the higher RPM's.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

From what I've been reading from Steeda is that they didn't want something that was in the same airflow range as stock as it'd be a waste. AM has a video on youtube where they do a bunch of dyno runs with different tunes and cold air and from what I remember the tune on stock airbox vs the same tune with cold air came up with identical numbers. It's too late for me to take screen shots of the graph but look it up. It's a good video. CAI = pretty much useless in terms of performance. I guess Steeda may be the best but I still think those gains are nothing you would notice and only in high RPM's.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

+1 I like it for the style and craftsmanship. I don't race, so numbers don't really mean squat to me.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
+1 I like it for the style and craftsmanship. I don't race, so numbers don't really mean squat to me.
Yeah, I plan on getting the BBK blackout cold air. Only because it'll look great with the black and blue theme of my grabber. Looks better then my current JLT
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I feel like if i raced all of the time i would get the steeda but i dont hardly ever race so i will probably just go with the air raid and bama tuner package
Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #20
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Good as long as you're happy with what you buy, that's all that matters.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #21
Ian

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Good as long as you're happy with what you buy, that's all that matters.
Hey guys I'm in the same boat trying to figure out which one to get. Has anyone tried the Roush CAI?

Also is the install any different on an automatic than on a manual?

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Hey guys I'm in the same boat trying to figure out which one to get. Has anyone tried the Roush CAI?

Also is the install any different on an automatic than on a manual?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #22
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

The roush is nice. I've seen a YouTube video of one being installed on the 5.0. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the auto and manual. I think the reason they ask which transmission is for the tune.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have the BBK, they just came out with the Blackout, which i wish was an option when i got mine.

I got it because it did not require a tune, and i would rather not flash my PCM and potentially void my warranty.

You will only see gains in the top end on a CAI, though i agree, the synthetic filter that does not require oil is nice. I've heard of the gumming up of the MAF sensor, but i've never known anyone to experience it.

In my opinion, just go with the look because the gains are all in the same ball park, and all at the top in, though it does make your car sound better.

And i agree, if you like one of the combos from American Muscle, those are a great deal.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
The difference in the Steeda is that it replaces your MAF sensor instead of reusing the stock one like the Airaid. It has increased airflow that your ECU can't be corrected for w/o a tune which is why it requires a tune. Is it worth the extra $? Don't think so.. Any gains would be minimal and most likely in the higher RPM's.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

From what I've been reading from Steeda is that they didn't want something that was in the same airflow range as stock as it'd be a waste. AM has a video on youtube where they do a bunch of dyno runs with different tunes and cold air and from what I remember the tune on stock airbox vs the same tune with cold air came up with identical numbers. It's too late for me to take screen shots of the graph but look it up. It's a good video. CAI = pretty much useless in terms of performance. I guess Steeda may be the best but I still think those gains are nothing you would notice and only in high RPM's.
Just want to clarify that our kit does not replace the MAF sensor. It features a larger billet aluminum MAF housing. The sensor is removed from your factory intake and re-installed into our housing.

Also, our own testing has shown approximately half of the gains come from the CAI.
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Just want to clarify that our kit does not replace the MAF sensor. It features a larger billet aluminum MAF housing. The sensor is removed from your factory intake and re-installed into our housing.

Also, our own testing has shown approximately half of the gains come from the CAI.
Is that just on the 5.0 then? Thanks for clarifying though.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Is that just on the 5.0 then? Thanks for clarifying though.
Ah, I see this is in the V6 section now. Yes, that was for the 5.0.

On the V6, I believe we had seen approximately 8-12HP gains over just a tune.
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The K&N filter oil will not sludge up your MAF

Click these:::

These are the four parts to this on You-Tube.

Any dealer that say's that the MAF was contaminated by the oil froma K&N is fool of crap. They need to call K&N to talk to a special rep that will help them find the real problem.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
I have the Airaid CAI. The construction is quality. Not sure about the Steeda, but everything I have ever purchased with Steeda name on it has been top quality. In this case I would advise you to buy the cheaper one.
Do you have a tune with your Airaid CAI? I'm looking into a CAI, but don't want to get a tune to void my warranty I have until 80K miles. I mean, is a CAI pointless without a tune?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I also got a BBK CAI with filter from AM and it was only $199 for it, no tune required.

Your choices here would be to either spend the $ now on something cheaper that doesn't require a tune, or wait until later and get something that's more expensive that requires a tune that's in the higher performance range. Depends on what your plans are. If you get a cheaper one now, chances are you can use it on another vehicle or sell it when you go for a bigger one. Just a thought. Good luck in your decision!
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

I don't just love the new Mustangs, I love old school too!
NoisyPony2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

$$$$ + $$$$ = horsepower & Speed

$$$$$$$$$$$$ Plus more $$$$$$$$$$$$ = More Horsepower & More Speed

I have nothing more to add.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrum04 View Post
Do you have a tune with your Airaid CAI? I'm looking into a CAI, but don't want to get a tune to void my warranty I have until 80K miles. I mean, is a CAI pointless without a tune?
No, without a tune it is not useless. Just the CAI itself will give you a little bit better throttle response as well as a throaty sound when you floor it. I've had my CAI on for a few months without a tune and have been pretty happy with it. I however, want to get the most out of my mods so I've decided to go ahead and tune. But no its not required
Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Don't they whine a little at lower rpm or is that a select few?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
Don't they whine a little at lower rpm or is that a select few?
With mine, you can hear it sucking air. Kind of cool
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Intakes on some vehicles whistle a bit at low rpms. No whines that I'm aware of.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Can we make this Thread a sticky or something? If another person comes along asking which cai or which axleback I'm going to lose it
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai