Borla ATAK Axle-Back Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Region: California
Borla ATAK Axle-Back Exhaust

Any possible feedback would be appreciated, thinking of purchasing these, saw really good reviews!
ponyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
It's Borla, enough said
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It is sweet. Someone on here claims that the Atak has drone at a certain rpm range. But the the owner of Borla states that all three exhaust kits they make have zero drone. I've yet to hear one personally so I don't have any insight. I'd tend to believe the words of the owner vs some random internet guy.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #4

Re: Borla ATAK Axle-Back Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It is sweet. Someone on here claims that the Atak has drone at a certain rpm range. But the the owner of Borla states that all three exhaust kits they make have zero drone. I've yet to hear one personally so I don't have any insight. I'd tend to believe the words of the owner vs some random internet guy.

Great, i would too, im new to this and im taking things slow, but i do want the best for my 13 v6. and this axle back seems worth it, though i hear alot about magnaflows and roush axle backs.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I really like Borla. I personally wanna go with the touring exhaust. It's the quietest and I like letting all my foes think that my mustang is stock. It makes for a great 2nd gear pull. And their like, whaaaaaat?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
I really like Borla. I personally wanna go with the touring exhaust. It's the quietest and I like letting all my foes think that my mustang is stock. It makes for a great 2nd gear pull. And their like, whaaaaaat?
cool, but i have stock so, i want the exact opposite lol.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Go for it man! I like the sound too. But I'm taking a more subtle approach with my mustang. In other words, I'm getting old. Lol.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have a 13 GT with 3.73s, all stock except for Borla S Types. I listened to many videos online, with decent speakers but it is no substitute for hearing them in person. The S Types are WAY louder than they sound in a video. The only time my ride isnt loud is at speed while light on the accelerator or when its not moving. A V6 will be quieter but make sure you know what youre getting b/c Borlas are pricey. You might find the Ataks to be overboard and draw too much attention. They all have much better tone than stock, so the choice is just in volume. And the only time Ive ever come close to drone is under 2K RPMs in 6th gear and it was nothing compared to the Magnaflows I had on my 07 V6. Who drives below 2K in 6th anyway?
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I'm sure there's that one old guy on here that still does 55 on the hwy! Lol
Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

i have borla atak and they are amazing they have a really agressive sound. i love them. i am selling my 2012 5.0 19in brembo package wheels and tires if anyone iterested for $800
2012mustang3.7l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Borla ATAKS and they sound so much better then any video! I love them so much! they have a nice growl at 2500 Rpms but when you step on it, oh my god. it's jizz worthy. lol
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Borla Touring axle backs. I added an afe cold air intake set-up and the combined systems provide an amazing sound. My gas mileage is suffering due to the need to hear the "growl".
Gmcnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #13

Region: Alabama

My car with borLa atak

Kaka Mustang PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

I love the Borla exhaust systems. I do not like their price however. $700 for a pair of mufflers and 1ft of pipe each? Yeah, I'll never own one.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

^Gotta pay to play.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I did, that's why I have a 2013. I'll stick with upgrades that actually make it go faster or weld on a set of Magnaflows.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Spend twice as much and get the ATAK cat back! You've spent the money getting an awesome car. So don't skimp on the exhaust. Just sayin.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Are they really worth it? What's the difference in them or say a set of comps? I mean I always think of borla as a tuner brand

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka Mustang PQ
My car with borLa atak

Dang!! Are those just the borlas?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
they sound alot like my roush A.B. in that clip.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Spend twice as much and get the ATAK cat back! You've spent the money getting an awesome car. So don't skimp on the exhaust. Just sayin.
Two Magnaflows are $160... I have my own welder. I don't think Borla can beat that at all. For the record, I'd consider buying ATAK mufflers but they don't sell them separate apparently.

The best way for me to describe Borla is their tone has a roundness to it. No harsh sounds, even with the louder mufflers. They sound good on just about anything I've heard because they lack the rasp and have a fullness to the tone. Drone might be another issue, but from outside the car, it's among the best imo. It's the only exhaust note for 3.7s I've fallen in love with... this clip in particular:
http://youtu.be/dnAP80EI770

Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
Are they really worth it? What's the difference in them or say a set of comps? I mean I always think of borla as a tuner brand

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Dang!! Are those just the borlas?
I think they are. The quality craftsmanship and bench testing that goes into this setup is what makes them great. I'm saving for the Borla Touring setup for my GT. I don't care for all the sound, I just want something greater than stock.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin

Two Magnaflows are $160... I have my own welder. I don't think Borla can beat that at all. For the record, I'd consider buying ATAK mufflers but they don't sell them separate apparently.
Yeah but it's not just the mufflers. It's also the tubing that makes Borla the best. Personally, I'm not interested in buying an axel back exhaust from Borla, magnalflow or any other company. I think that is a waste of money. Borla's cat backs make there power and sound from the strait through design, the type of filament they use and their mandrel bent tubing and seamless welds. Borla claims that all three of their cat back kits have zero drone on the mustang. That speaks volumes for me. I can't stand drone.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin

The best way for me to describe Borla is their tone has a roundness to it. No harsh sounds, even with the louder mufflers. They sound good on just about anything I've heard because they lack the rasp and have a fullness to the tone. Drone might be another issue, but from outside the car, it's among the best imo. It's the only exhaust note for 3.7s I've fallen in love with... this clip in particular:
http://youtu.be/dnAP80EI770
I'm sure you've already seen this video but you can hear a difference be the cat back and the axel back you posted. The axel back, you can still hear the stock tone underneath the axel. Ack exhaust. The cat back on the other hand has a completely different tone it sounds more aggressive and clean at the same time.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

A side question, once you have an axle back set-up can you add the pipes to make it a cat back system? In this video are the systems axle back or cat back?
Gmcnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
I have a 13 GT with 3.73s, all stock except for Borla S Types. I listened to many videos online, with decent speakers but it is no substitute for hearing them in person. The S Types are WAY louder than they sound in a video. The only time my ride isnt loud is at speed while light on the accelerator or when its not moving. A V6 will be quieter but make sure you know what youre getting b/c Borlas are pricey. You might find the Ataks to be overboard and draw too much attention. They all have much better tone than stock, so the choice is just in volume. And the only time Ive ever come close to drone is under 2K RPMs in 6th gear and it was nothing compared to the Magnaflows I had on my 07 V6. Who drives below 2K in 6th anyway?
Below 2k in 6th everyday to class
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcnomore
A side question, once you have an axle back set-up can you add the pipes to make it a cat back system? In this video are the systems axle back or cat back?
I was wondering where to get the tubing also
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Ok my input on borla. Loud as **** on a v8 454 big block el camino. It was suppose to be my first car at 15. And I convinced my dad to sell it for a mustang. It was so loud that when it fired up my neighbors came outside wondering if were making a bomb. I know it's a Chevy in a ford world but hey, it gives you a slight idea. All depends on volume and how much your woman figure in your car can take.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcnomore
The video is representing their cat back systems. I'm not sure if you can buy the axel backs and then add the mid pipes later from Borla. I know you could got to a muffler shop and have something welded up but I would advise against that. You won't get the same quality as the Borla cat back and you risk changing the sound or even creating low rpm drone.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Below 2k in 6th everyday to class
Downshift
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

The video is representing their cat back systems. I'm not sure if you can buy the axel backs and then add the mid pipes later from Borla. I know you could got to a muffler shop and have something welded up but I would advise against that. You won't get the same quality as the Borla cat back and you risk changing the sound or even creating low rpm drone.
Here's a link to their site. Maybe you can find what you're looking for.
http://www.borla.com/products/cat-ba...app_id=1446393
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Does other brands offer the lifetime warranty like borla?
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Ive never liked exhaust videos. If they are true to sound, I dont like these Borlas at all. But then again im a v8 guy and I just think all these exhaust clips im hearing sound like junk. Very few v6 sounds I like. I appreciate the stock sound of a g35/g37 and I like 'some' of their aftermarket cat backs. Right now I think all these mustang cat backs sound tinny and raspy with too high of a pitch. The only one I can say Ive liked so far was a Roush Catback.

I need to hear some of these in person
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust