GT500 axle backs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
GT500 axle backs

What's up guys? I was reading on one of the forums (can't remember which) that the GT500 stock axle backs will fit on the V6 if installed by a muffler shop (or someone who can weld and such). I remember the guy who made the post saying they sounded awesome. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember seeing this somewhere? What are yalls thoughts on doing this? I think it would sound pretty damn good. Thoughts?
davewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I know someone by me with the GT500's. I haven't heard it in person yet so I can't say if it's good or not.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Go listen lol J/K. I have a feeling it should sound pretty nice. Especially at WOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

He got them because he didn't want something too loud so he could hear his procharger. Upgraded from Roush I believe? I think he's got vids of the setup on youtube. Will have to check. I gotta get out to one of the meets sometime to hear it.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Here's a link to one of his vids. You can check out the rest. Has vids of a few other setups he had as well. Sounds good from the vid though

Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds sick lol. What other exhaust work does he have besides the mufflers?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

O/R X with resonators.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice. As I said, it sounds sick.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
He got them because he didn't want something too loud so he could hear his procharger. Upgraded from Roush I believe? I think he's got vids of the setup on youtube. Will have to check. I gotta get out to one of the meets sometime to hear it.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Here's a link to one of his vids. You can check out the rest. Has vids of a few other setups he had as well. Sounds good from the vid though

Wait wait wait....ok so he has a pro charger and exhaust, with 3.55 gears. Do you know if he kept the stock rear axle and stock wheel size? I saw he got it on a dyno of course, and pumped out 409rwhp...not bad. Just can't tell from the vids what all he did to it.
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

I don't just love the new Mustangs, I love old school too!
NoisyPony2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyPony2010

Wait wait wait....ok so he has a pro charger and exhaust, with 3.55 gears. Do you know if he kept the stock rear axle and stock wheel size? I saw he got it on a dyno of course, and pumped out 409rwhp...not bad. Just can't tell from the vids what all he did to it.
Stock rear axle. Remember we have the 8.8 now. Wheels are GT500 replicas I think. Not sure of his tire sizes though.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Stock rear axle. Remember we have the 8.8 now. Wheels are GT500 replicas I think. Not sure of his tire sizes though.
Ah that's right! I forget the new models come with the 8.8 now. I was about to say...haha! Ok so not the same size as the stock pony wheels at least, I'd guess a thinner tire and possibly lowered. I think I like the sound of his pro charger better than the exhaust...if its got 8psi I'm guessing it's a stage 2, and I would like to ask if he wouldn't mind adopting me....lol
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ah that's right! I forget the new models come with the 8.8 now. I was about to say...haha! Ok so not the same size as the stock pony wheels at least, I'd guess a thinner tire and possibly lowered. I think I like the sound of his pro charger better than the exhaust...if its got 8psi I'm guessing it's a stage 2, and I would like to ask if he wouldn't mind adopting me....lol
That's why he went to the GT500's so he could hear the procharger. The O/R X w/ Roush was too loud. I plan on procharging mine after my deployment. Just waiting for the phone call..
Old 07-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so question...I don't know a lot about the output of a procharger, so which has potential to give more hp, supercharger or procharger?

And yeah, gotta love the post-deployment play $ huh? Hahaha

Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Post deployment play money bought my Pony :-&
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Nothin wrong with that at all, you earned it and deserve to do or get whatever your heart desires!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Trying telling that to the wife lol
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok so question...I don't know a lot about the output of a procharger, so which has potential to give more hp, supercharger or procharger?

And yeah, gotta love the post-deployment play $ huh? Hahaha
Tough to say. A procharger is a supercharger though. It's a centri. From what I've heard centri types have the potential for most power but I've never had experience with a roots or twin screw so I can't confirm that. Maybe someone knows better? Centri's are in a way kinda like belt driven turbo. They don't run as hot as other blowers though. They like turbos take time to build boost and it's not as instant as say a roots or twin screw. But from what I hear have potential for more power. These prochargers are the only supercharger option for our 3.7's right now and cars with them have gone well over 500whp.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewes
Post deployment play money bought my Pony :-&
That's how I got mine too Ordered it from the factory overseas so it was ready when I got home. Best gift to myself ever!

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Trying telling that to the wife lol
Haha +1
Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice I concur with the "best gift ever sentiment" for sure. I LOVE this car lol
Old 07-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Tough to say. A procharger is a supercharger though. It's a centri. From what I've heard centri types have the potential for most power but I've never had experience with a roots or twin screw so I can't confirm that. Maybe someone knows better? Centri's are in a way kinda like belt driven turbo. They don't run as hot as other blowers though. They like turbos take time to build boost and it's not as instant as say a roots or twin screw. But from what I hear have potential for more power. These prochargers are the only supercharger option for our 3.7's right now and cars with them have gone well over 500whp.
Hmmm...that gives me something to think about. The procharger is a little cheaper than the supercharger I've had my eye on. My boyfriend is a mechanic on the side and may know more about it, or his brother who is a Mustang enthusiast like me might know. Definitely throws another option. I've been trying to decide if I want to go turbo or supercharged, and there's pros and cons for both. I just like s/c better because it's just set it and forget it. But then turbo you can play with the flow and go high or low which is nice, but then I worry I'll break something lol. I dunno....decisions decisions. Looks like you 3.7's have it made for you right now if you don't want to wait

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Very nice I concur with the "best gift ever sentiment" for sure. I LOVE this car lol
I'll cheers to that! I've had my car since 2009 and still love it just as much as the day I bought it, if not more. I love to drive it, and I love working on it. Makes it so much better when you enjoy something you put your hard earned $ into.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmm...that gives me something to think about. The procharger is a little cheaper than the supercharger I've had my eye on. My boyfriend is a mechanic on the side and may know more about it, or his brother who is a Mustang enthusiast like me might know. Definitely throws another option. I've been trying to decide if I want to go turbo or supercharged, and there's pros and cons for both. I just like s/c better because it's just set it and forget it. But then turbo you can play with the flow and go high or low which is nice, but then I worry I'll break something lol. I dunno....decisions decisions. Looks like you 3.7's have it made for you right now if you don't want to wait

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

I'll cheers to that! I've had my car since 2009 and still love it just as much as the day I bought it, if not more. I love to drive it, and I love working on it. Makes it so much better when you enjoy something you put your hard earned $ into.
You really can't go wrong with either. A member JimC on here had his 4.0 vert in the 12's with his X-charger. Turbo's will give you the most power but you just need to ask yourself, "how much power do I need?" Just make sure you put that power down correctly to satisfy your needs and goals.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: GT500 axle backs

Don't go supercharger over procharger unless it's a whipple. Whipples are very efficient designs and can put out a lot of power.... they also make this hellistic whine that will get everyone's attention when you step on it. Case in point, M90 (roots) GTP compared to a whipple GTP. I still love the sound of a turbo spooling...

M90: gtp whine - YouTube
Whipple: Whipple Grand Rpix - YouTube
Turbo: V6 Grand Prix 3800 Turbo - YouTube

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I keep forgetting about Whipples for some reason lol! I have a friend who put one in his Lightning and it's sikk. I guess my goal is to get enough power to keep up with the big boys on the street really....and have more to stand out at shows. I just want to win one trophy, ya know? I've gotten one, but it was an honorable mention. They gave out a ton of them :/

Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone managed to fit a whipple to a 3.7? That would be fairly sick.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: GT500 axle backs

I've seen a prototype pic of one on the 3.7, being used in some custom car project for a company. However, they said it could be fitted to the Mustang and it might clear the hood (it's a tall setup with an intercooler).

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmmm that sounds interesting. A whippled 3.7 would be pretty sick.

We need less one off custom pieces and more production parts. I've got a feeling that the 3.7 is going to be the most popular V6 Mustang ever built. It offers real power with a decent amount of economy (price and fuel). It really fits the old school traditional model of a muscle car. Affordable and fast. I really hope the aftermarket for this car takes off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang