air conditioning problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
air conditioning problems

I have posted before on this problem but need to give everyone a heads up and what to be aware of. I purchased my 2011 Mustang new in June of 2010. Immediately I noticed that once in a while the air conditioner would blow warm air. It would last only a few seconds and then go back to cold where it usually stayed. This summer the air started blowing warm as often as cold. The hotter the ambient temperature the hotter and longer it would blow. At 90 degrees outside temp it had a swing in air conditioning temp of 15 degrees. At 100 degrees the temp differential was more than 15 degrees and would blow hot air more than cold. I have had the car in 5 times now. Ford engineers got involved and they just notified me that they consider this temp differential to be within normal limits. Thats BS as I have purchased 5 new fords over the years and none of them had this trait. The dealership drove three new mustangs they had on the lot and couldn't get any of them to do this. My Fusion 4 banger loaner car does not have any temp differential. Ford has tested and re tested all the components and cannot figure out how to fix it. Ford has told me to pick up my car and they will not address the issue anymore. I was hoping it would not come to this as I have a few hundred in aftermarket improvements in the car but I am in contact with a lemon law lawyer as I feel it is my last option. What a shame! Hope no one else has to go through this but if you notice a temp differential in you air conditioning expect it to get worse with no fix from Ford.
sandawilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: air conditioning problems

Have you tried a different dealer and maybe contacting the Ford rep on allfordmustangs (Deysha) to seek help? She can escalate service issues. I don't know what all you have done, but trying another dealer would be my first choice, also contact Deysha.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Deysha got involved early in the process and did all she could. This has went to Ford engineering and an engineer drove the car yesterday. He noticed the 15 degree differential- and it happens regardless of driving conditions- and since they tested all components of the system multiple times he has decided it is normal!? Testing showed it did not matter if the car was under hard acceleration or just traveling down the road with the cruise set it still fluctuated by at least 15 degrees. My local Ford dealer has been great but Ford is calling all the shots and the dealer can only do as they are told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That sucks. Try another dealer before paying a lawyer.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

I had a 2007 F250 that had the same problem. They finally found the fix and said it was the blend door actuator that switches from AC to Heat and replaced it. I never had the problem again as long as I had that truck.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Is your air condition system manual or climate control? If Manual I can't suggest anything but if it is climate control you probably need an actuator replaced. It is the gadget that combines the warm and cold air to control the temperature inside the car. I had this problem on my 98 Corvette at one time and that was my problem. I'm guessing there is a trap door like part that will stick and then free itself then stick again. I can't see why Ford can't fix it with a replaced part. The problem was very difficult to diagnose on my Corvette but one of the Mechanics had the problem on a car once before so it was easy for him to fix.

Maybe the manual has the same type of part because you can still adjust the temperature coming out of the vents.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Is the A/C button pressed.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It is a manual control system. The blend door was disconnected and it made no difference in the warm air it blew. All components were tested and re-tested under cold and hot conditions. The freon was drawn out and re-charged incase there was an air bubble in the system. The big disappointment is ford engineering cant fix it and they have decided to call it 'normal'. With 15 degree differential in the air temp, and with it directly tied to ambient temps, I would think they could figure something out. After 5 attempts and over 30 days in the shop they have given up. My local dealer has been great and 'feels my pain'.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hi guys . I've been lurking for awhile now just to learn. Saw this thread so I subscribed. I wll update my profile soon.

Any way this wek at 3200 miles my a/c is having the same problems. Taking it in Monday.
I won't settle for any type of we can't duplicate the problem or it's normal. What it 's normal for the a/c to not work properly after 3200 miles.

I noticed last night after filling the tank and drving 2 miles on the street the mpg said 34. Same route it usually says 24. Today it went down to 13mog after driving city and its never been below 19 on the guage under the same conditions. This may all be a computer problem.

Did the op ever get this resolved?
Thanks in advance
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

The only time I've had the A/C not work is when I've floored the car and it cut out. It's meant to do that though... 3450 miles and counting.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
The only time I've had the A/C not work is when I've floored the car and it cut out. It's meant to do that though... 3450 miles and counting.
Thanks Sanguin,
Not the issue here. Seems the mpg is way off too. Read 13 and was actually 19.5. New issue on that yesterday. Off to service tomorrow morn.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Reset the battery maybe?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

I feel your pain. I have a 2000 F-150, and the AC was never very robust. It takes forever to cool the cab down. Everytime I have the AC checked, they always say that it doesn't need any refrigerant, and the temerature of the air coming out of the vents is within design specifications. That's all fine and dandy until it's 95 degrees outside, with 70% humidity.....LOL.

After reading your post, I'm now praying I'll have good AC in this car, and that it keeps working.

Tim
Tim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

Found this on the net. I hope it helps.

Car Overheating Problems & Troubleshooting - Tech Articles - Mustang Monthly Magazine
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I had a few internatinals trucks have a problem like that ,,it ended up being the oil in the system,,it was charged with to much oil in the system from the factory,,I evaculated the system blew all the lines out and replaced the accumaltor,,and everything was fine
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well I hate it when threads just die with no ending so here's what happened on my A/C
I took it to the dealership. They have it a day and give the typical "we can't find anything wrong with it, you'll have to wait til it fails" A few days of driving and the a/c is intermittent. It's blows air but at times not cold air. Didn't matter what speed I was driving but sometimes if I'd speed up it would come back cold. 4 days ago it goes off just long enough to get on the freeway and get to the off ramp where the dealer is. Soon as I get off the freeway it comes back on. I talk to the dealer and get the same story, you have to wait till it fails. I thank the service tech and walk into the showroom and ask for the owners name. The next day I get a call from a woman in service to ask how things were going with my a/c problem. I go through the whole story and tell he how would the service techs like it if they had a pain in there chest and the doctor told them he'd find the problem when their heart fails. The next day it goes out again on the same stretch of road and this time I make it all the way to the dealer and get the tech out immediately to feel the a/c. He admits there is a problem and it was in for 2 days. Turns out to be Low @ 11 PSI. Found A/C Pressure Switch Leaking. Replaced switch and O ring. Refilled with Refrigerant and checked for leaks. So far on my 4 mile drive home she was cold as could be. No reason given for failure.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Your sure its fixed,,if it was low because of leaking freon,,it wouldnt have worked intermittently,,,,There may have been a short in the switch itself ,,that would make more sense,,but glad its working for ya..
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
Your sure its fixed,,if it was low because of leaking freon,,it wouldnt have worked intermittently,,,,There may have been a short in the switch itself ,,that would make more sense,,but glad its working for ya..
Yes it was a bad switch with a bad O ring. If not fixed Ill sure let you know. Thanks
Ps I hate paranoia, lol
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have the same problem, just driving alone with a.c on then all of a sudden it stops blowing cold air for a minute then gets cold again. Dealer says nothing wrong but im not crazy! I will ask them to check again!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
I have the same problem, just driving alone with a.c on then all of a sudden it stops blowing cold air for a minute then gets cold again. Dealer says nothing wrong but im not crazy! I will ask them to check again!
Here is how I put it to the lady that called to address my concerns. I told her you and only you know if anything is wrong with how you feel. You don't want a doctor to tell you it's all in your head. She agreed. So I said then who is better to know if something is wrong with my car, the guy that drives it all the time or the tech that can't find anything wrong? No you are not crazy and intermittent a/c is unacceptable. Even my 96 Taurus consistently blows cold air as well as my 09 Flex and 11 Fiesta. DON'T F'n tell me this is nomal on a Mustang.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Yes it was a bad switch with a bad O ring. If not fixed Ill sure let you know. Thanks
Ps I hate paranoia, lol
optimism is better,,im sure that fixed it..
Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

air conditioning problem

I am the original poster of this subject. As I mentioned after 30+ days in the shop, the local dealer acknowledging something was wrong with the hvac, and ford engineers refusing to admit it did not work properly, ford has refused to address the issue any further. Having bought 5 new fords and many used over the years ford did not care and basically told me to get lost. A 15 degree differential in air temp through the air conditioner IS NOT NORMAL operation to me. In 90 degree weather it will not cool the car. Beware the games ford plays with the lemon law. It varies from state to state but here in Colorado a vehicle must be in four times and/or over 30 days for the same problem. The first two trips to the dealer I had service invoices for the problem. My third trip the dealer said ford instructed them to keep the ticket open until the problem was resolved. I did not think anything of it as the vehicle went in three times and 25 days in the dealership on the same ticket. When ford finally told me they would not do anymore on the hvac and to pick up the car they closed the final ticket. When contacting the lemon law attorney's they said I did not qualify because I only had three service tickets for the issue. This was all planned by ford and I have no recourse! If I take the vehicle anywhere in the country to try and get a fourth service ticket on the hvac, when the dealer enters the vin they tell me the history of the problem and they cannot do anything else on it- no service ticket! Beware my friends!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
Mine did this one time. Then I turned it to the coldest setting...like an idiot. But at 85 it seems to not blow as cold in mine
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The problem with dealership warranty issues is persistence. If you get paid by the job, why would you want to work on a warranty issue for free. You cannot be afraid to tell people to fix your s--t or there will be repercussions. My 12 had the a/c stop a couple times while my wife was driving it...she took it to the dealer, they kept it for a couple hours and told her since they could not recreate it, there was nothing wrong. I took it to the same dealership three days later, raised my voice a little, and let them know that I am a grown *** man, I bought your car, now you fix it or we have a major issue about to develop. If that does not help, keep going up the food chain until some one realizes that all the bad publicity you're going to give them, and the attorney you've just spoken to says you have a legitimate gripe. Trust me. This is not a new thing.

I am sorry to say, but Sandawilliams, this is your own fault for not standing your ground. You can't just say ok, and walk away. Because you just lost an arguement that you never started. The words: "Something is wrong with my car, it came from you, you're going to fix it or else I will spread the word to the world through social media and legal action." will put alotta backfield in motion. The next thing is, you should never leave a ticket open, or a service jacket open if you take possession of your car. That doesn't even make sense. The service jacket/ticket should be closed everytime the dealership hands you your keys.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
WtFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with wtfdiesel.

When I took mine in this time and the service tech agreed there was something wrong I noticed he wrote the ticket up to say "the customer says a\c blows warm air. If they hadn't fixed I would have been in their face, the owners face and all ovet the internet. And he would have changed the ticket to say he witnessed it blowing warm air. Now that's optomistic!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Does the state you live in have a Lemon Law on the books?
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I am uncertain, but I think all but 6 states have lemon laws. At least I think I remember reading that not too long ago. Either way, it's all in pressure. Bad publicity and legal action get a ton of negative attention. No major business wants that.
Grabber Blue "Betty" 2012 V6 Six Speed, 3.55, BBK cai/throttle body, longtubes, x-pipe, axle back w/oem tips, Lugo Performance Dynotune, Zex 100 dry. I need factory v6 foglight housings, and the stock 11/12 gt grill with the light housings.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

air conditioning problem

Hey wtfdiesel- After 6 months and numerous trips on this problem and ford engineers called into the dealership to test the problem I dont think you can assume I did nothing to remedy this problem. As far as letting everyone know of the problem and ford not fixing it to my satisfaction what do you think these posts are doing? I have posted this on every 2011 mustang forum I can find on the internet. Dont assume I layed down and accepted fords refusal to fix the hvac. I raised holly hell with the dealership, ford customer care, and the ford engineers in Denver. My local dealership actually went to bat for me when dealing with ford as I witnessed conference calls with the ford reps on this issue. Three different managers and techs at my local dealership told ford they would not accept this car as it is. When ford in Detriot, and their engineers, refuse to fix this problem then you are screwed. My only option at this time is to have a large lemon made, stick it to the top of the car, and park it on the street at my local dealer. As far as leaving service tickets open- most of us would not think anything of it when you pick your car up, with numerous other appointments made with the dealer to bring the car back in when the engineers show up for additional testing. Its easy to sit back and tell others what they should have done until you walk in their shoes awhile.
Believe me- I have been around the block for 57 years and no auto manufacturer has ever treated me like this. I have explained the lemon law in my earlier post as it is written in Colorado. Every state has its own version of the lemon law.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandawilliams View Post
Hey wtfdiesel- After 6 months and numerous trips on this problem and ford engineers called into the dealership to test the problem I dont think you can assume I did nothing to remedy this problem. As far as letting everyone know of the problem and ford not fixing it to my satisfaction what do you think these posts are doing? I have posted this on every 2011 mustang forum I can find on the internet. Dont assume I layed down and accepted fords refusal to fix the hvac. I raised holly hell with the dealership, ford customer care, and the ford engineers in Denver. My local dealership actually went to bat for me when dealing with ford as I witnessed conference calls with the ford reps on this issue. Three different managers and techs at my local dealership told ford they would not accept this car as it is. When ford in Detriot, and their engineers, refuse to fix this problem then you are screwed. My only option at this time is to have a large lemon made, stick it to the top of the car, and park it on the street at my local dealer. As far as leaving service tickets open- most of us would not think anything of it when you pick your car up, with numerous other appointments made with the dealer to bring the car back in when the engineers show up for additional testing. Its easy to sit back and tell others what they should have done until you walk in their shoes awhile.
Believe me- I have been around the block for 57 years and no auto manufacturer has ever treated me like this. I have explained the lemon law in my earlier post as it is written in Colorado. Every state has its own version of the lemon law.
Indeed. This is a terrible ordeal, for sure. I would think that the Dealer would just eat this one. That is what I mean. I work in a retail environment, automotive, and I deal with a ton of dealerships, and I have seen them eat a lot of issues like this. That is my point. I think the Dealer should have replaced your hvac system and wrote it off, or swapped out on another car. Trust me, that dealership would have lost nothing by replacing the entire hvac system in the vehicle. When we do audio/video installs, we offer the manufacturer's warranty, and match the labor free as well. In addition to this, after the original (usually one year) warranty, we will replace a defective part at a discount, and the labor is free. We really don't lose anything for helping a customer. These are the times when a business is supposed to stand by their customers, and definitely the product they sell.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I would call ford u.s.a and tell them, very politely that your techs cant solve the problem and that you will take it to a specialist to have it dianosed and fax them the report and they will eat up the bill! They have no choice but to repair your car if the problem is found by a third party in writing! I had a similar battle with my lower control arms when the dealer where i bought it told me it was "normal" for them to make noise! Like **** it is i said! Three apps later,a different dealer,and numerous calls to ford canada and finally new control arms! The car is awsome now! Dont give up, stay calm but get your point across! We pay big bucks to buy these cars new, ive waited 15 years to be able to buy one! Make them realize, for alot of us, this is not pocket change! I will b getting mine checked again and i WONT let them give me the " its running normal" routine again! Good luck to both of us!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I would call ford u.s.a and tell them, very politely that your techs cant solve the problem and that you will take it to a specialist to have it dianosed and fax them the report and they will eat up the bill! They have no choice but to repair your car if the problem is found by a third party in writing! I had a similar battle with my lower control arms when the dealer where i bought it told me it was "normal" for them to make noise! Like **** it is i said! Three apps later,a different dealer,and numerous calls to ford canada and finally new control arms! The car is awsome now! Dont give up, stay calm but get your point across! We pay big bucks to buy these cars new, ive waited 15 years to be able to buy one! Make them realize, for alot of us, this is not pocket change! I will b getting mine checked again and i WONT let them give me the " its running normal" routine again! Good luck to both of us!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtFDiesel

Sorry, what is headbang?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

It's one of the smilies, shows a smiley rocking out, as if at a rock concert. It's a positive thing lol. Basically I was giving you a thumbs up.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's one of the smilies, shows a smiley rocking out, as if at a rock concert. It's a positive thing lol. Basically I was giving you a thumbs up.
Oh o.k thanks. Lol
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

Indeed. This is a terrible ordeal, for sure. I would think that the Dealer would just eat this one. That is what I mean. I work in a retail environment, automotive, and I deal with a ton of dealerships, and I have seen them eat a lot of issues like this. That is my point. I think the Dealer should have replaced your hvac system and wrote it off, or swapped out on another car. Trust me, that dealership would have lost nothing by replacing the entire hvac system in the vehicle. When we do audio/video installs, we offer the manufacturer's warranty, and match the labor free as well. In addition to this, after the original (usually one year) warranty, we will replace a defective part at a discount, and the labor is free. We really don't lose anything for helping a customer. These are the times when a business is supposed to stand by their customers, and definitely the product they sell.
Yes being in retail myself, if I were the owner of the dealership, I would've said, Ford is not going to fix the problem, but I'll go ahead, and have my guys fix it at no charge to you. If you can drop it off at X time and X date, I will personally see to it. It would maybe cost them $700 to rebuild that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang