Mustang Evolution Forum banner

WTF!? '13s (autos) cant burnouts or brake torques

20K views 60 replies 27 participants last post by  pwrby4d 
#1 ·
Thats right. V6 and GT both, automatics have been programmed to not allow for a standard burnout. So when you get to the track, and you line yourself up in the waterbox with your foot on the brake and gas....you will be sorely disappointed. Another +1 for aftermarket tuning (when its finally cracked fully).

doesnt matter if you turn off trac control, or active handling, etc. Its something a switch wont turn off.

You can roast em, dont get me wrong. but you have to do it with raw power. You cant do it with your foot on the brake at all.

Also, using track apps tonite I was going to do a 60 run so I tried to do a light brake torque launch. as soon as any gas was applied with the brake, the app was instantly stopped.

Im not sure what they were thinkin (less warranty work im sure), but who the hell is going to be 'ok' with a Mustang that cant do what Mustangs do!!??

#2 ·
Funny you say that but one of the mustangs ad's said "It makes doughnuts, and grabs coffee" how misleading...... id gladly switch stangs with you :D (I love the new 13's!)

#4 ·
I noticed that first trip to the track - tried to give them a quick spin to get the dirt off and nothing. At the line it acted like a 2 step and would not go over 2,000 rpm no matter how hard I tried.

But last night I tested a tune for one of the known tuners. He and I have been talking about different things to fix the problem. The one tune he sent and had me try didn't overcome it. I installed the second tune to drive home and thought I'd check to see if the rpm limiter kicked in. Surprise - spun the rear tires and a little smoke! Wasn't expecting it since that tune wasn't the one that we thought would overcome the issue. So he is going to go over the tune today and compare things.

#5 ·
Wow, I didn't know that on the 13's. So even with the traction control off, you still can't get them spinning? That's insane. Now, is that just for the 13' 3.7's or all Mustangs across the board?

#6 · (Edited)
It seems to be just the 2013 - Ford made some significant changes in the transmission (we have "sport mode" and can use a +/- button to shift for ourselves) The new transmission tune is what needs to be figured out. It affects both the V6 and V8 automatic.

On the Track App though I have never had what the OP said happened to him. Brake torquing doesn't shut mine down. But what may have happened OP is that if you don't start to roll within a short period the Track App assumes you have cancelled the test and shuts down. Nothing to do with brake torq, simply you have to be ready to go as soon as you hit the "OK"

I just sent the tuner some more thoughts on the transmission tune we are working on. It isn't quite ready for a daily driver, but might work as a "race only" tune. It is just a little too aggressive on the downshift in my opinion and wouldn't get to OD/6 this morning even running the car up to 80 mph on the highway.

#10 ·
But what may have happened OP is that if you don't start to roll within a short period the Track App assumes you have cancelled the test and shuts down. Nothing to do with brake torq, simply you have to be ready to go as soon as you hit the "OK"[\QUOTE]

I thought the same, but after that happened a couple times I set it again and sat a good 5-6 seconds at idle before I took off and it didnt shut off. Ill test this more.

Ronnie, as far as your vette goes ( I have a 99 FRC )....the traction control was probably aiding in your launch keeping you from spinning too much. c5s didnt really leave the line that great. On mine, I turn off all the nannies. traction control 1st, then active handling. I want the wheels to be 100% mine. went 12.8 @109 stock like that.

And yes, this effects ONLY the 2013s. Surely part of the new programming of the Select-shift trans. I gotta be honest, I understand wanting to cut down on powertrain wear and tear...but this is rediculous. Its a MUSTANG. I almost wonder if this wasnt done to cover up or stop a known problem with (rearend, trans, drievshaft)??

#7 ·
How does it do if you just mash the go pedal all the way to the floor at the green light?

I had a 1998 Corvette that if I turned the traction control off it would spin the tires but it would only do 13.2's / 13.4's in the quarter. If I just left everything on and just mashed the pedal to the floor I did 12.6 first time 12.7 the second time.

I'm wondering if the mustang would do good using the traction control and just mashing the pedal to the floor letting the computer figuring it out.
Ronnie

#8 ·
Not sure where or if I fit into this disscussion, but my 07 GT Automatic, does smoke both tires, I Leave double Tracks (L&R) on the road whenever I do it. But in all fairness, I do have a Custom Tune done to it and 410 Gears, not sure if that has everything to do with it or not.:headbang:

#9 ·
Hi Kato,
I think they are talking only about the 2013 model. It is the first year this problem has been on any Mustang. the Older cars are not involved at all.

#11 ·
JimC said:
I noticed that first trip to the track - tried to give them a quick spin to get the dirt off and nothing. At the line it acted like a 2 step and would not go over 2,000 rpm no matter how hard I tried.
My 99 camaro did the same thing, I'd put my foot on the brake and mash the gas to the floor and it would only rev to 1,800 rpm. It was nice though because with brand new tires I could do that and have the perfect launch with just a little chirp from the tires.

#13 ·
Yeah it's actually a safety feature called Brake Over Accelerator. Disabling trac/advancetrac is supposed to disable it though, it doesn't on the '13s. I think it's actually an unintentional bug from Ford. Bad oversight that kinda screwed up their cars for recreational use.

#38 ·
hmmm interesting... change in programming maybe? i noticed you rolled a bit.. maybe that is the key. do you have stock gearsor the upgrade to 331's or performance package? maybe the difference is the tuning for base vs. performance package or gearing.. idk... in any case, aftermarket will prob figure it out before ford does anything about it.
I think the roll forward is the trick... I don't do that in my 2012 auto when I do a burnout... How did you accomplish this? All traction control off then let the car roll a touch? Mash gass just a touch before mashing the break maybe?
I do have the Performance package with the 331 gears And I also have the Catback magnaflow exhaust system.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

What I do is trac off and put the car in S gear and then let it roll a bit then mash on gas while holding break.
That roll forward and then hitting the brakes at the same time as the gas is probably what did it for you. At most drag strips though you don't have the luxury of a "running start" for the burn out.

#25 ·
The brake-over-accelerator safety feature isn't disabling. Turning off AdvancTrac is supposed to do that, but on the '13+ it doesn't. I think it was a programming oversight by Ford, but since it doesn't affect normal operation, they don't care.

#28 ·
hmmm interesting... change in programming maybe? i noticed you rolled a bit.. maybe that is the key. do you have stock gearsor the upgrade to 331's or performance package? maybe the difference is the tuning for base vs. performance package or gearing.. idk... in any case, aftermarket will prob figure it out before ford does anything about it.

#30 ·
I do have the Performance package with the 331 gears And I also have the Catback magnaflow exhaust system.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

I think the roll forward is the trick... I don't do that in my 2012 auto when I do a burnout... How did you accomplish this? All traction control off then let the car roll a touch? Mash gass just a touch before mashing the break maybe?
What I do is trac off and put the car in S gear and then let it roll a bit then mash on gas while holding break.

#29 ·

#31 ·
It doesn't have anything to do with the new mandate that a car's brakes have to be able to stop a car at WOT does it? I know I've seen testing of a new Camry at WOT being stopped by the brakes and a GT500 at WOT being stopped by the brakes to show that every car has it and can do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.