Anyone else.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Region: New York
Anyone else....

..... Hey guys. I recently, (2 weeks ago) put an American Muscle hood scoop on the 2010...

Well when I was washing her down last week I ran across a patch of bbubbles/rust on the leading edge of the hood....

It's not a question of stone chips, there are no breaks in the paint, and the underside, where the inner/outer piece of hood are joined is worse! The car isn't driven in rain, and it's put up for winter WAY to early, so salt is another no brainer. Anyone else see this on there car?
konabluev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: Anyone else....

I have the same damn thing on the left side of my hood! Just about a good inch or so of protruding rust! I have been super busy and haven't had a chance to take it to get it looked at, but for a two year old car this should not be an issue. What are you going to do about it? I'm hoping to find a afternoon after work to get it into the dealer...

Btw, nice scoop!

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

no rust (knocking on my desk)...but ive had to touch up 4 spots that took some abuse and looks more like paint leaving than impacts

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

Great DGRUM04.... sorry, but glad to hear of someone else having the same problem?! And, you are Kona Blue in color too!? I took it to the dealer, they did pics to send into FORD to see if it's covered.... should be. I'm thinking maybe since I put the scoop on they'll use it for an excuse to blow me off. Yeah, take it in, let them do pics to FORD, and keep me up on your progress. Maybe with at least two of us it won't get swept aside!

Out of curiosity... any problems with tires dry rotting early? both drivers side tires have cracks.... FORD and Pirelli snuffed me on those.... again, put away for the winter, like 6,000 miles on it!

Any others with premature rust?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Aren't these hoods aluminum? I don't think it's rust but rather corrosion due to incompatible primer/base coats. Someone has went over this before but I can't remember who. It's common enough it's documented though.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe unrelated, buy I've had my 2011 for 14 months, and just last week noticed that the clear coat started peeling on the edge of the passenger door. I noticed a tiny spot one day, and the next day it was a little larger. My concern is that the body shop guys undoing the damage they did to the rear quarter panel hit it with the buffer, but I don't know that I can prove it.

I've been trying to google around and see if this might be covered under the warranty in some way but have yet to take it to the dealer. For right now, I just hit it with a dab of clear nail polish to stop it from getting worse, but I just saw another tiny bubble on the other side of the car. Not sure what to do.

Cherry_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by konabluev6 View Post
Great DGRUM04.... sorry, but glad to hear of someone else having the same problem?! And, you are Kona Blue in color too!? I took it to the dealer, they did pics to send into FORD to see if it's covered.... should be. I'm thinking maybe since I put the scoop on they'll use it for an excuse to blow me off. Yeah, take it in, let them do pics to FORD, and keep me up on your progress. Maybe with at least two of us it won't get swept aside!

Out of curiosity... any problems with tires dry rotting early? both drivers side tires have cracks.... FORD and Pirelli snuffed me on those.... again, put away for the winter, like 6,000 miles on it!

Any others with premature rust?
Yea, glad to see there is somebody else out there with the same identical problem. I'm hoping to get it in sometime this week, but will see. What do you think they would do if is covered? Repair or replace?

I'll keep you posted on this thread, you do the same!

As far as the stock tires, I have a good 30k on my 11' and haven't had any issues with the Pirellis.

An outstanding DD
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ahhh thanks for the heads up!!
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

When I bought my car it had white spots in the kona blue paint from acid rain and had burns from bird crap on the clear coat. Ford fixed it but I too have noticed a spot similar to that on the lip of my hood
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

To keep everybody updated on this thread, I finally had a chance to stop by my dealer on the way home from work earlier this week. Without hesitation and seeing the problem himself, he made a appointment for me to drop off the Mustang and get the problem taken care of.

From what I understand, they're just going to drop it off at a body shop, strip, sand and repaint a good portion of the hood. I'm kinda worried about the finish product because everybody I have talked to said that these metallic paints are very hard to blend into the original paint. So if they go that route, I hope 1) it turns out good, or 2) they repaint the whole hood. We shall see next week when I drop it off early Monday.

They said it would take just about a week. It's gonna be a long flippen week with out my Grace. I do get a rental car though, so that's nice. He looked at me kinda funny when I said I wanted a 13' 5.0. Ford focus here I come!

An outstanding DD
Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Aren't these hoods aluminum? I don't think it's rust but rather corrosion due to incompatible primer/base coats. Someone has went over this before but I can't remember who. It's common enough it's documented though.
Yes. The hoods are aluminum. This was a HUGE problem for the 2005-2008 cars. The aluminum was not prepped correctly before paint. Aluminum prep is entirely different than steel because it is a porous metal. Ford was repainting them at no charge. They will need to completely strip hood and re-prep them.

The reason why they peel up like that is that the hoods are manufactured and then transported or stocked without any sealer on them. They get moisture in the metal. Then they are sealed and primed and the moisture in the metal starts to seep out. Paint bubbles and lifts.

Everyone having this issue should bring it to Ford and they should take care of it. Lots of people that were over the warranty on the older cars (including me) opted to just go aftermarket with a fiberglass hood.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #12

Same here.... she's going in on the 20th..... they claim for a day?! Anyway, no guarantee it won't happen again?!? I had to take the scoop off, they're going to repaint the entire hood.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Wow..ill keep an eye out. I had a 3m clear bra installed on my hood to protect from stone chips so if this stuff starts happening they cant blame it on that!

Side note, i know someone who works at the plant that builds the edge and mkx here in canada....they see chassis going into the plant that have been sitting out in the rain with corrosion starting! Ive got a feeling these new american cars are going to turn into sleek looking jalopies in 10 years.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

wow.. glad i am in the desert...
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #15

Nice Kona Stig!! FYI, this rust/corrosion is coming from inside/in between the out-inner panels. Watch for it to start on the seem just under the lip of the hood.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

She's back and looks better then ever! They painted the whole hood and blended in the fenders and it turned out great. The rust is gone inside and out and didn't have any problems at all. They were great at the dealer and they also said I wasn't the first one with this problem either. So with that being said, watch the hood!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2053174865.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	65389   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3370758713.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	65390  

An outstanding DD
Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #17

Did they mention the fact that this will not be covered again? This actually worked out well as I have to touch up the bottom edges of the scoop.... not enough coverage.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by konabluev6 View Post
Did they mention the fact that this will not be covered again? This actually worked out well as I have to touch up the bottom edges of the scoop.... not enough coverage.
No. No mention regarding reoccurrence. Hopefully that's not an issue later down the road.

An outstanding DD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang