Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ghetto Intake

23K views 159 replies 30 participants last post by  Zed 
#1 ·
Yeah, I'm too cheap to pay $250 for an intake. So here is version one of my intake for my car. I'm going to be painting the chromed stuff black or green, depending on where it is in the intake. The red coupler will be changed to a black one later. I'll also make a custom air box for it. I just slapped it together earlier to get it done while I had some free time. Manuals have one additional air hose, it's a PCV line. I hid an elbow in the throttle body coupler on the bottom and just ran a hose to the PCV valve. If I could find a fitting that would let me use the factory quick connect fittings, I'd do that. Might try it later. Without further adieu, the $55 intake system...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
3 of the parts. The filter (I had a K&N that I've lost somewhere, brand new), the MAF adaptor, and the 4"-3" coupler. The ABS pipe (heat resistant) and black coupler came from Lowe's. :) I'll paint the ABS pipe green soon enough.

It's a selection of parts that look decent and get the job done. I think once I get the box done, it'll make it look more professional since it won't be just hanging out there. Thought hard about how to rig the PCV so it would look decent. Even there, there is room for improving imo.

#5 ·
It looks like something you should market....really! My only question is, they never had a green filter? We have to change that market on color selection :)

#10 ·
Nice job Sanguin! Looks bought on line quality...
I'll post a link from my office tomorrow....found a green filter prior to Mustang week...but too long to fit in the airaid stock airbox :(

#12 ·
We'll see! Thanks for all the compliments. It's a work in progress, as are most things.

I've already got plans to make my own hood lift shock mounts and not buy a kit. If I can make them myself I'll cost me less than half the price of Redlines. Any chance you guys with Redlines can measure the OAL of the shock and the length of the protruding piston? Don't worry, I'll show you guys how to make your own set with part numbers if I do it. ;)

#14 ·
Sanguin said:
We'll see! Thanks for all the compliments. It's a work in progress, as are most things.

I've already got plans to make my own hood lift shock mounts and not buy a kit. If I can make them myself I'll cost me less than half the price of Redlines. Any chance you guys with Redlines can measure the OAL of the shock and the length of the protruding piston? Don't worry, I'll show you guys how to make your own set with part numbers if I do it. ;)
I like your ideas of saving money and still get quality. I apply that to life not my Bessy lol how would you even make a good strut kit???

#17 ·
Sanguin said:
3 of the parts. The filter (I had a K&N that I've lost somewhere, brand new), the MAF adaptor, and the 4"-3" coupler. The ABS pipe (heat resistant) and black coupler came from Lowe's. :) I'll paint the ABS pipe green soon enough.

It's a selection of parts that look decent and get the job done. I think once I get the box done, it'll make it look more professional since it won't be just hanging out there. Thought hard about how to rig the PCV so it would look decent. Even there, there is room for improving imo.
So the MAF adaptor works with the car?

#18 ·
The stock MAF is to the right of where the intake tube attaches to the intake box. All you can see is a little rectangle where it was, I removed it prior to this pic.

No codes so far and yes the adapter works. It's a 4" adapter but comes with 3.5" and 3" inserts to reduce the flow around the sensor. I went with 3" because it looks the closest to the factory size.

#19 ·
Sanguin said:
The stock MAF is to the right of where the intake tube attaches to the intake box. All you can see is a little rectangle where it was, I removed it prior to this pic.

No codes so far and yes the adapter works. It's a 4" adapter but comes with 3.5" and 3" inserts to reduce the flow around the sensor. I went with 3" because it looks the closest to the factory size.
Where did you find the directions to make this?

#21 ·
I have two Grand Prix's with supercharged engines. ;)

Nick: Nowhere. It came from the depths of a pit in my skull called my imagination. Then I formulated it into an idea of what was feasible. I'm very mechanically inclined, this isn't my first rodeo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.