Axle-back exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Axle-back exhaust

I have a 2013 v6 mustang and have been watching YouTube videos and listening to sound clips and have narrowed to a couple different axle-back exhaust. The ROUSH Axle-back Exhaust, Flowmaster Force II, and Magnaflow's Competition Axle-back. I'm definitely looking for the deeper than stock sound but still something subtle so my neighbors don't hate me. I'm ready to pull the trigger so suggestions and opinions are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2690070269.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	61432  
Insane4Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: Axle-back exhaust

If you don't want to upset the neighbors and want a great sound My suggestion would be the Magnaflow streets or the Ford Racing touring.

I personally prefer the Magnaflows because I like the quality and the really nice tips.

Everything else out there just sounds to loud and popping for my taste. Of course I like listening to the loud pipes on other Mustang owners cars but not on mine.

There are a whole lot of Post's on this forum just talking about axleback mufflers. Before you buy you should check out the other Posts. You can gain a wealth of information from the members that actually use different mufflers.

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
+1 in what ronnie said^ I've got the Magnaflow comps and they are loud. They're pretty much always loud unless your off the gas pedal and even then they're still on. They sound great though but I'd go with the Magnaflow streets if you don't want something too loud. Probably have the same sound just a bit tamer.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

With Magnaflow streets or Ford racing touring your V6 will sound like a Mustang without upsetting your neighbors.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'm within a week of pulling the trigger on my axle backs. I'm going with the magnaflow streets because I will have a cai and it will give the exhaust a deeper note in a way. So the streets will be amped up. I was going to go with competitions because they are lighter and straight pipes basically but with what I'm goin to do it may be too loud and may even sound annoying to people than nice. Plus it'll sound great for me and the people that are 20 feet around me. The comps make me think the whole state can hear you.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Read up on some threads in the past three to four pages. A lot of helpful tips regarding axle-backs.

But I'll plug Roush again. Tone is very unique. Not your 5.0, not your ricey civic, a good middle and a head turner. Gurgle/poppy start-up/idol/revving, loud acceleration, ear protection requirement after 3k rpms. Good luck deciding and welcome to the fourm!

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I know it could be pretty annoying replying to the same kind of thread. I'm going to make sure I read up on the previous threads and give an update of my final decision

Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I am going with the borla ATAK exhaust axel backs. They sound incredible!!!!
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto113
Can't go wrong with Borla. Quality products. Cost a pretty penny though
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have a video of your magnaflow exhaust? And is it cat-back or axel
Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto113
Do you have a video of your magnaflow exhaust? And is it cat-back or axel
Me or Ronnie? I don't have a vid but I'll get one up eventually. It's just the axle-backs, quad tip version though. I plan on an upgraded mid-pipe or possibly Borla headers in the future.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't have a video but here are some pictures:

These are Magnaflow streets.

The big problem with the you-tube video's is that the computer speakers make most of them sound a lot different then they actually do. I heard the Ford Racing on a Mustang GT V8 and liked them, Then I heard the Magnaflows on another GT V8 and liked them. Both brands had the sound I liked but the Magnaflows had the tip's I love as well as the quality seemed a little better so I chose them and I'm more then pleased with them in every way. The fitment was perfect right out of the box. My brothers girlfriend has Flowmasters on her mustang and they are just way to loud. It is a convertable and you can't hear the radio at all at 70mph. They sound good but I could not live with them on my car.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

flowmaster 10 series, YOLO!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Both you guys
Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think the 3 best sounding exhausts on the 3.7 are: Bassani, FRPP and Borla S-type. These will have a nice subtle tone when at idle and scream when you hammer it...all with minimal to zero drone! To me all the other exhausts either drone (unbearable as DD) or are too high pitched...
w4fang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I must have defective Magnaflow streets because I can't hear any "DRONE" at all at any RPM.

I just floored it from 45 MPH this morning to pass a truck and the Magnaflows really came alive. They got nice and Quite again when I slowed to cruising speed.

I'm probably going to have to return these and get some other system due to no DRONE in these mufflers.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I have the magnoflow streets and i went with those because my thought process was the same as yours. And having a CAI adds to the sound as well. I was tempted to go with the competition series, but i didn't want it to be quite that loud all the time.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I must have defective Magnaflow streets because I can't hear any "DRONE" at all at any RPM.

I just floored it from 45 MPH this morning to pass a truck and the Magnaflows really came alive. They got nice and Quite again when I slowed to cruising speed.

I'm probably going to have to return these and get some other system due to no DRONE in these mufflers.

+1, that made me laugh.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

haha, Ronnie. for no drone!!!

You know, axle back exhaust is just a personal opinion I'm finding. Yes you can have your top three and your choices but hey, the next guy might like his Magnaflows, Flowmasters or even Roush's better.

I also find it fits the personal driving habits as well. If your one who always floors it at every intersection after a red light, loud pipes might not be for you, if you want a good passing tone once in awhile, they might be.

Like I said, all personal opinion.

An outstanding DD
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thumbs up on that.
All of these Muffler brands are good, It is up to the Mustang owner picking the one that suits his/her the best.

It just upsets me when someone thinks their opinion on what is the best for everybody is just three brands out of many good quality products.

I say "if buying mufflers you need to do your research and get what you want for you."

Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto113 View Post
I don't sound like i'm hating on you! But why pay 1/5 of the price of a supercharger on an axleback exhaust
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I don't sound like i'm hating on you! But why pay 1/5 of the price of a supercharger on an axleback exhaust
+1

An outstanding DD
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, If I had a supercharger I would definitely change my Mufflers. I would probably want headers and a complete set of pipes all the way back. A whole bunch of other stuff too.

Oh! I probably would have bought a Shelby or Roush and not my V6 plain ole Mustang with the automatic transmission.

I think most of the people that have a V6 just want it to not sound like a Toyota Prius. (Silent) Most like me don't have a lot of $$$$ so adding a nice axleback set of any brand and a CAI or K&N drop in filter is fine for what they do to make a Mustang a lot more fun. A super charger is a great item but it is for the person that wants one. A Super or turbo charger is only the first step in spending a wheel barrel full of money.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Haha you bet
I've decided on a twin turbo and the amount of prep work is ridiculous
Forged internals, 1 pc driveshaft, high performance flywheel, new brakes, list for on and on :p
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm sure it will be great when it gets finished.
I used to drag race a lot back in the 60's I had a 1965 271 horsepower Mustang notchback and had Billy McDual redo the engine and we took out the four speed and put in a beefed up C4 automatic and a set of traction masters that ran over the axle so they could not be detected and my Street Drag racing career was started. It was nice to spend big bucks back then because you could win the money you spent back and much much more. The car was a true sleeper because it looked absolutely like a stock automatic 289CI car. That is until you poped the hood and seen two AFB's on a weiend manifold. I ran that car untill 66 and it was hard to get people to drop money to race me so I sold it and bought a 66 427R Corvette. Took it to Grumpy Bill Jinkins and redid the engine. It did 10.88 143mph in the quarter first time out. The Mustang ran a consistent 12.5's 111MPH Not much top end because of the 457 rear in it.

Those were the glory days of owning a car and modifying it.

I'm 69 now and just happy with a good street Mustang that sounds like a Mustang and looks good while fun to drive.

I got the one I liked and now with my mod's I like it a lot better.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'm planning getting one of these on my 2011 v6:

1. Roush axle back
2. Magnflow Competition
3. Borla atak

Which one is better? I didn't heard any of those in person, but i heard a magnflow on a v8 it sounds awesome. Is it a huge difference between v8 and v6?
Rileychan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm sure it will be great when it gets finished.
I used to drag race a lot back in the 60's I had a 1965 271 horsepower Mustang notchback and had Billy McDual redo the engine and we took out the four speed and put in a beefed up C4 automatic and a set of traction masters that ran over the axle so they could not be detected and my Street Drag racing career was started. It was nice to spend big bucks back then because you could win the money you spent back and much much more. The car was a true sleeper because it looked absolutely like a stock automatic 289CI car. That is until you poped the hood and seen two AFB's on a weiend manifold. I ran that car untill 66 and it was hard to get people to drop money to race me so I sold it and bought a 66 427R Corvette. Took it to Grumpy Bill Jinkins and redid the engine. It did 10.88 143mph in the quarter first time out. The Mustang ran a consistent 12.5's 111MPH Not much top end because of the 457 rear in it.

Those were the glory days of owning a car and modifying it.

I'm 69 now and just happy with a good street Mustang that sounds like a Mustang and looks good while fun to drive.

I got the one I liked and now with my mod's I like it a lot better.

my hero
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Well, If I had a supercharger I would definitely change my Mufflers. I would probably want headers and a complete set of pipes all the way back. A whole bunch of other stuff too.

Oh! I probably would have bought a Shelby or Roush and not my V6 plain ole Mustang with the automatic transmission.

I think most of the people that have a V6 just want it to not sound like a Toyota Prius. (Silent) Most like me don't have a lot of $$$$ so adding a nice axleback set of any brand and a CAI or K&N drop in filter is fine for what they do to make a Mustang a lot more fun. A super charger is a great item but it is for the person that wants one. A Super or turbo charger is only the first step in spending a wheel barrel full of money.

+1...looking for mileage and just need some sound. But im gonna go with roush haha

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileychan01
I'm planning getting one of these on my 2011 v6:

1. Roush axle back
2. Magnflow Competition
3. Borla atak

Which one is better? I didn't heard any of those in person, but i heard a magnflow on a v8 it sounds awesome. Is it a huge difference between v8 and v6?
I like the roush, i heard rhe borla today and its just to much pop and just to much for me, i think the roush will be clean and still loud, i will let you know on Monday =]
Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They are all top quality mufflers, You can't go wrong with the Roush but I guess you already know that Borla makes all of the Roush exhaust products. There was a show on Speed channel that show the Roush factory and stated all Roush exhaust products are made by Borla, Mister Borla was even on this show. I think it was on another show that Borla made the Shelby Exhaust products. Borla is a very good muffler.

I personally like my Magnaflow Streets due to the low deep rumble at start up and the silence when just cruising down the highway. They do come alive when you floor it.

I think you will be happy with the Borla Mufflers.
Ronnie
Old 08-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
+1 in what ronnie said^ I've got the Magnaflow comps and they are loud. They're pretty much always loud unless your off the gas pedal and even then they're still on. They sound great though but I'd go with the Magnaflow streets if you don't want something too loud. Probably have the same sound just a bit tamer.
Agreed. Always on.

Perf Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, 87 Octane Performance Tune from BAMA, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow Comp Axle-backs
Ext Mods: Lower chrome billet grille, Tint
Upcoming Mods: Lowering springs
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to go with the magnaflow streets. I'll let you guys know my personal experience on how it sounds when I get everything done within the next 2 weeks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4157136436.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	61891  
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestdomer2005

Agreed. Always on.
Would it get annoying for a DD at around 2-2.5k rpm? That's my main worry. I don't want to dump the money in it and take it off in a few months.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Would it get annoying for a DD at around 2-2.5k rpm? That's my main worry. I don't want to dump the money in it and take it off in a few months.
It definitely drones. I personally love it! But it's not a DD either :/ My gf gets headaches every time she gets in it. She loves the car but not the sound lol. It could get annoying but that depends on you. Do you want to hear your car all the time? Again, I love drone but that's just me.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

It definitely drones. I personally love it! But it's not a DD either :/ My gf gets headaches every time she gets in it. She loves the car but not the sound lol. It could get annoying but that depends on you. Do you want to hear your car all the time? Again, I love drone but that's just me.
I like drone. Idk about my gf or my mom who drives it from time to time. My stock exhaust drones sometimes. Nice and deepish. I'm thinking it may be too much but I may save some weight in the back if I go with the comps. And they are cheaper. I want the closest to a boss as possible.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

I like drone. Idk about my gf or my mom who drives it from time to time. My stock exhaust drones sometimes. Nice and deepish. I'm thinking it may be too much but I may save some weight in the back if I go with the comps. And they are cheaper. I want the closest to a boss as possible.
LT's, offroad H, resonators, and magnaflow mufflers with a ghost cam tune. Too much? I think that would sound badass though! Check out the vid I posted in the ghost cam topic.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane4Mustang
I have a 2013 v6 mustang and have been watching YouTube videos and listening to sound clips and have narrowed to a couple different axle-back exhaust. The ROUSH Axle-back Exhaust, Flowmaster Force II, and Magnaflow's Competition Axle-back. I'm definitely looking for the deeper than stock sound but still something subtle so my neighbors don't hate me. I'm ready to pull the trigger so suggestions and opinions are appreciated.
I have the magnaflow comps they are not loud until you put your foot in to it. Then they are freaking insanely loud. The sound at idle to 3000 rpm is sweet. When you floor it damn loud but sound great I love mine!!!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust