Serious Problems Need Serious Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Serious Problems Need Serious Help

Let me give a little history on this. The factory suspension on these cars are absolute *****. If I didn't completely intend to lower the car I would never have bought it.

So I started off with a set of Eibach Pro Lowering Springs. Car looked and handled much better, however, started making a nasty clunking sound after intall. I checked the install several times and could not figure out the cause. I took it to Ford, the tech called me into the bay and with the car on a lift, he smacked the suspension components around every which way and could not figure out where the source of the clunk. Called Eibach and they said it could be the factory shocks went bad, and that I should "grease" the springs. rediculous but I did it anyways, did not fix the problem.

So I called AM, I was advised to order the matching shocks/struts and that should fix the problem. While the handling and ride quality improved, the clunk was still there and now worse than ever.

I did some research on the web to find out there is a TSB on the factory control arms. I went to Ford and the warranty replaced the control arms. Clunk still there. In the meantime, the car is now developing a new sound, a metal scraping sound when I turn left. It started off mild and is now really loud.

So I called American Muscle again, spoke to one of their experts. The guy knew exactly what my problem was. The factory strut mounts are weak garbage and have to be replaced. Of course, the only strut mounts that will solve the problem are the Steeda Heavy Duty Strut mounts for 11' up mustangs. So I order the mounts and have my mechanic put them in today. First problem, the clunk is now louder and worse than ever. Second problem, the scraping noise is my power steering rack going bad.

After spending over $1100 on a partial suspension upgrade with all of these problems, all I have to say is f this car. I have had it.

No one, not even Ford can tell me what the hell is making that stupid clunk, some people don't get the clunk at all, others just live with it but I can't. It's ruining the car. It so loud and nasty that I don' t even want the car anymore, I sure don' t like driving it. And now I have to go to the trouble of taking it back to the dealership and fist fight them to get the rack covered under the warranty.

After that, I will need get that noise taken care of. For the love of sweet baby Jesus, can some one tell me what is making that noise and how to fix it? If you can help please respond. I will consider any suggestions at thjs point
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Serious Problems Need Serious Help

Suspension is junk from the factory? Only thing I've heard complaints on is the control arm bushings... otherwise it's a really nice handling car, especially with the performance pack.

As for your clunk, Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog. Try contacting that guy. He auto-x's 'Stangs and is considered one of the foremost experts on their suspensions. If anyone can help you, he probably can. He has been known to be a little short with answers and hard to get ahold of, so you've been forewarned.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I will try to look that guy up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I had the same clunk from the moment I lowered my car too. I've got the '11 GT. besides my springs I've got MM C/C plates and Steeda mounts and I'm plagued with the same sound. I installed all the parts myself and I know everything was assembled correctly. I'm not a mechanic and this is purely my speculation but I did notice 2 things when I assembled my springs and struts.

1. I was able to compress the lowered spring with my Bare hands while installing the strut mount.

2. My lowered spring in the front were much lower then stock.

It's my belief that the lowered springs create too much slack in the space between the upper strut mount and lower control arm. So when weight shifts or you go over dips and bumps the spring actually moves out of its grove when the strut extends and pops or clunks back into place when the strut retracts.

The only proof I have that makes me believe that this was the problem is that once I tossed out my lowered springs and reinstalled my stock springs, the clunk was gone... I kept my Steeda mounts and MM C/C plates installed and the ride is awesome now.

I do love the lowered look and I want my car lowered so the only solution that I think will work is to replace your stock springs and struts with a fully adjustable coil over kit. The coil over kit lowers the car by allowing the base that the spring sits on to spin down lowering the car and keeping the length of the spring. I'd have a set if they weren't so damn expensive.

Good luck man, I hope this helps.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

What kind of springs did you have? How much did they lower the car?

The Eibach Pro Kit only lowers about an inch up front, they they were hardly lower than stock and unless you are Hercules you can't compress them by hand.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I still want a logical explanation as to why some people have this prob and some do not, even when identical parts are used.

I was thinking about could be some of those differences between what seems to be identical mustangs??? Here is what I came up with:
My mustang was manufactured in 6/2010. I purchased it Oct of 2010 but it's a 2011 model year car, that means it's from one of the first batches of 2011 revamped v6 mustangs, with the different engine, 3.7, tranny, suspension and rear end. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The dealer replaced the control arms due to a TSB but I wonder if all the rest of the bushings are bad and Ford is just keeping quiet about it. Honestly, think about it. Most of the suspension probably came from the same manufacturer, if part of it is defective all of it could potentially be defective.

Ford redesigned that control arm for later models. Maybe they redesigned or used better quality bushings on later models and are just keeping quiet about it.

If I can get everyone here that has the clunk prob to post mfg date here then maybe we can narrow it down or find some pattern.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Call Kenny Brown.. They are the best.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I picked mine up in 8/10 I'm sure the manufacture date on mine is 6/10 as well.

The springs I bought were cheap. I figured springs are springs! Right? Wrong! They are called Dynamic racing and they should have lowered my car 1.5 but after about a month it was more like 2 inches all the way around.

I'm sure lots of people are having this issue but don't want to admit it. My buddy has a '12 and he lowered it. He kept telling me the ride was better then stock and no noise. Well, not to long ago we went to the store in his '12 and sure enough, it had the same clunk as mine.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I'm curious to here more about this, as i was thinking of lowering my car around Christmas or the 1st of next year.

Hearing this has thinking twice.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post

Let me give a little history on this. The factory suspension on these cars are absolute *****. If I didn't completely intend to lower the car I would never have bought it.

So I started off with a set of Eibach Pro Lowering Springs. Car looked and handled much better, however, started making a nasty clunking sound after intall. I checked the install several times and could not figure out the cause. I took it to Ford, the tech called me into the bay and with the car on a lift, he smacked the suspension components around every which way and could not figure out where the source of the clunk. Called Eibach and they said it could be the factory shocks went bad, and that I should "grease" the springs. rediculous but I did it anyways, did not fix the problem.

So I called AM, I was advised to order the matching shocks/struts and that should fix the problem. While the handling and ride quality improved, the clunk was still there and now worse than ever.

I did some research on the web to find out there is a TSB on the factory control arms. I went to Ford and the warranty replaced the control arms. Clunk still there. In the meantime, the car is now developing a new sound, a metal scraping sound when I turn left. It started off mild and is now really loud.

So I called American Muscle again, spoke to one of their experts. The guy knew exactly what my problem was. The factory strut mounts are weak garbage and have to be replaced. Of course, the only strut mounts that will solve the problem are the Steeda Heavy Duty Strut mounts for 11' up mustangs. So I order the mounts and have my mechanic put them in today. First problem, the clunk is now louder and worse than ever. Second problem, the scraping noise is my power steering rack going bad.

After spending over $1100 on a partial suspension upgrade with all of these problems, all I have to say is f this car. I have had it.

No one, not even Ford can tell me what the hell is making that stupid clunk, some people don't get the clunk at all, others just live with it but I can't. It's ruining the car. It so loud and nasty that I don' t even want the car anymore, I sure don' t like driving it. And now I have to go to the trouble of taking it back to the dealership and fist fight them to get the rack covered under the warranty.

After that, I will need get that noise taken care of. For the love of sweet baby Jesus, can some one tell me what is making that noise and how to fix it? If you can help please respond. I will consider any suggestions at thjs point

Red Stallion,

I'm really sorry you're still having issues with your Stang! I hope you understand our intentions were not to just sell you more parts. We always try to get our customers exactly what they need and nothing more, but a great experience!

If your current dealership can't figure the "clunk" out, try going to another reputable Ford dealer. Make sure you call the service manager before making and appointments and talks to them about this on going problem, so they know what they're dealing with. Also, really stress how frustrating this is and how the last dealership couldn't solve the problem. Hopefully, the next dealership will assign their best tech to the job and you'll find a solution!

I'm sorry you didn't have the best experience with us last time. I want to keep you as a customer! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the response. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with another Ford Dealership tomorrow morning. I will ask them to inspect the suspension and let everyone know what happens.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. I was plannin on lowering my car but hearing this makes me not want too :/
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Dont let my experience discourage you. You can lower the car and have no problems.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yeah, I have a near identical setup plus sway bars and have had no problems. It's quite strange why some have it and some don't? How loud is the clunking noise? And is it coming from both sides in the front?
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Update.

So I took the car into Ford this morning and apparently they have a problem with the electronic racks on these cars, says he'd seen quite a few come in lately. They ordered a new rack and will be replacing it tomorrow.

As for the second problem, the notorious clunk, the tech advised he would not stop working on it until he determined the cause of the clunk. He found two things making noises under there, first thing was the sway bar links, replaced under warranty.

Second and more interesting thing was he found the Steeda strut mounts were not fully tightened all the way onto the struts. They "appeared" to be was the tricky thing. He put the car on the lift and noticed there was too much verticle play in the wheel. He tried to use a normal deep well socket and the bolt on the strut was too tall, stopping the deep well socket from tightening the nut all the way down. He borrowed and extra long (I mean like 12" long) deep well socket from another tech and was able to tighten it all the way down this time.

I am happy to report that the car makes no more clunking sounds. I'm not embarrassed to drive the car anymore. It doesn't even make a little noise, nothing. And he torqued all of the bolts on the suspension to specs so right now, the car feels great to drive. 100x better than the stock setup. My faith has been fully restored.

Sigh of relief
Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
Update.

So I took the car into Ford this morning and apparently they have a problem with the electronic racks on these cars, says he'd seen quite a few come in lately. They ordered a new rack and will be replacing it tomorrow.

As for the second problem, the notorious clunk, the tech advised he would not stop working on it until he determined the cause of the clunk. He found two things making noises under there, first thing was the sway bar links, replaced under warranty.

Second and more interesting thing was he found the Steeda strut mounts were not fully tightened all the way onto the struts. They "appeared" to be was the tricky thing. He put the car on the lift and noticed there was too much verticle play in the wheel. He tried to use a normal deep well socket and the bolt on the strut was too tall, stopping the deep well socket from tightening the nut all the way down. He borrowed and extra long (I mean like 12" long) deep well socket from another tech and was able to tighten it all the way down this time.

I am happy to report that the car makes no more clunking sounds. I'm not embarrassed to drive the car anymore. It doesn't even make a little noise, nothing. And he torqued all of the bolts on the suspension to specs so right now, the car feels great to drive. 100x better than the stock setup. My faith has been fully restored.

Sigh of relief
Red Stallion,

So glad this got worked out for you! Getting the sway-bar and steering rack under warranty is extremely convenient for the wallet. Also sounds like the Steeda strut mounts would have done the trick if they were tightened more. Either way, it's great everything got straightened out and your faith restored in Mustangs!

Enjoy your NEW suspension now!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Really glad to hear man. Now you know where to take your business!
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Wonder if the mounts settle and need re-tightened after a bit of driving?

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That could have done it. I guess anyone with the clunk can try all of the things That were done to clear it up. I tried to be as detailed as possible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang