A question about the 12V plug on the dash? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Thumbs down A question about the 12V plug on the dash?

The receptacle on the dash on a 2012 is in the perfect position to plug in my GPS. The big problem is it does not shut the power off when you turn off the ignition or open the door. It just stays hot forever.( What were they thinking???) My question is:
Is there any way anyone knows about to have this receptacle turn on & off when the ignition is on or off.

My guess is that some one at Ford Engineering sure don't have a radar detector or GPS that they plug into this or they would have designed it different.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: A question about the 12V plug on the dash?

All 12v outlets on any car have juice flowing to it even if the car is off and key is out of the ignition.

I mean, you could always take apart the dash, expose the wires and splice in a flush mounted switch if you really don't want to unplug your radar or gps every time...

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My Corvette lighter socket went off with the switch, My last car was A mini JCW and the receptacle went off with the switch. I 'm sure every car I ever owned the lighter socket always went without any power if the ignition switch was off.

This is the first car I have ever owned that the receptacle stayed on all of the time even with the switch turned off.

Like you say,
Quote:
I mean, you could always take apart the dash, expose the wires and splice in a flush mounted switch if you really don't want to unplug your radar or gps every time...
I'll just have to figure something else out to power my GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

The real question is - why would you want to leave your GPS plugged in if you aren't in the car. That screams 'break my window and steal me'.

I work in a large hotel, and we call TONS of tourists every day to tell them to get their electronics out of plain sight in their vehicles because we get at least 2-3 smash and grabs a month.

Maybe it's Ford's way of trying to curb stupid.

Cherry_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Stang View Post
The real question is - why would you want to leave your GPS plugged in if you aren't in the car. That screams 'break my window and steal me'.

I work in a large hotel, and we call TONS of tourists every day to tell them to get their electronics out of plain sight in their vehicles because we get at least 2-3 smash and grabs a month.

Maybe it's Ford's way of trying to curb stupid.
+1 Every time I plug something in (Radar, phone carger, etc.) I always take it out and store it out of view.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have a Garmin 350 that the connection is in the mount. I can take the GPS out of the car and the mount stays put.

You are sure right on not leaving it in plain sight up on the dash. I don't do that even going into a McDonalds. The 350 is nice because it just pops off of the mount without unpluging anything.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have a Garmin 350 that the connection is in the mount. I can take the GPS out of the car and the mount stays put.
True, but a thief sees your mount, and figures you stashed it under the seat or in the glove box. Same result. Seriously, we see it ALL the time.

It's a shame that there are people like that out there. I just make it a point to keep everything clean, no chargers or cords in sight, no change in the cup holders, bags or stuff on the seat. I'm sure areas are different, but I don't want people smashing my s*** for $2 in quarters.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

maybe you should just replace the 12v socket with a push start button
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

To do it right, you have two options.

Option One: Find a 12v switched power source (do these cars have power drops from the factory just for splicing into?), and wire it to the socket.

Option 2: Cut the line and put a relay inline. Run the trigger wire for the relay to a 12v switched source and quick splice it.

Either one will work fine, but you're going to have to do some wiring and pulling panels from the dash. For the record, no car I've owned has shut the power off the 12v outlets.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I had a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible, before my Mustang. The 12v shut off when the car wasn't running. It was annoying because I'd have to start the car to get a charge on my phone if I needed it.

Could be though, that it was something that was supposed to work, that didn't. We didn't call it the PT Loser for nothing.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

This is the first car I've had that has the 12v staying on when the car is off...AND I LOVE IT!

Easiest solution for your problem is probably just unplugging it if it bothers you that much...
However, there are 12v adapters that plugs into the 12v with a switch built into them so that may be a possible solution for ya!

Lastly, USE YOUR IPHONE
w4fang22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang