Strut Tower Brace - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Strut Tower Brace

I have been shopping around for a strut tower brace and happened upon this sale this morning: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-stru...-2013/p/STB12/

According to AM this will fit a V6: http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss30...race-0512.html

I think I like the 2 bar jobs better, but this seemed like too good a deal not to mention.
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
CloudsInMyCoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That's not bad. I got my stb for $40 though. You can find a lot of people selling those off there car I'm sure. But that isn't bad for brand new
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Strut Tower Brace

If your going to spend $180 for a strut brace just buy yhr steeda one
Steeda Strut Tower Brace (05-10 Mustang V6) 555-5718 - Free Shipping!
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida

I personally like my Boss 302 strut brace. It gives a nice beefy look under the hood.

No matter which one you get you gotta be sure you only tighten down the nuts a little, ****YOU DO NOT WANT TO TWIST ONE OFF****
Only put them on until they are snug. They do not need to be super tight.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'd buy it. It's 70 dollars off AM. Too bad I already have one
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I personally like my Boss 302 strut brace. It gives a nice beefy look under the hood.

No matter which one you get you gotta be sure you only tighten down the nuts a little, ****YOU DO NOT WANT TO TWIST ONE OFF****
That _way_ sounds like the voice of experience.
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
CloudsInMyCoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No, I did not twist any off but someone else on this Forum did and it cost them a lot of hard earned $$$$ to get it fixed.

I just wanted to warn you about how easy these things will twist the A stud off.

They are locking nuts so all you need to do is snug them a very little.
Ronnie
Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I'm looking at the Steeda one. You gotta be careful buying them used if it's a take off from a wrecked car.

Cherry_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I know someone selling one off of a GT500 for 50 bucks... Got to NJStangers.com and check the classified. Blackedout09 is the seller. Good guy.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Also, On our cars the chassis is so rigid that it really only stiffens it like 5 to 10 percent. you wont even feel it. On 04 and back cars they made a huge difference because the firewalls were like tin foil. The s197 chassis was greatly improved. from 79 to 04 they used the same chassis so you can only imagine what the technology was like in 79 for structural rigidity compared to 05 when the new platform arrived.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsInMyCoffe View Post
I have been shopping around for a strut tower brace and happened upon this sale this morning: AR3Z-16A200-A Mustang Ford Strut Tower Brace Boss 302 2010-2013 | CJ Pony Parts

According to AM this will fit a V6: Ford Boss 302 Mustang Strut Tower Brace (05-13 GT/V6) AR3Z-16A200-A - Free Shipping!

I think I like the 2 bar jobs better, but this seemed like too good a deal not to mention.
CloudsInMyCoffe,

Great choice, I'm a huge fan of the Boss Strut Tower Brace. We've test fit this Brace on our 11' V6 & everything fit great. IMO a Strut tower brace is crucial, it will Reduce unwanted chassis flex and improve the handling of your S197 Mustang. This is the same exact strut tower brace that is featured as standard equipment on the limited edition Boss 302 Mustang.

I see that you've found the brace cheaper, however we do offer price matching. So if you'd like to order with AM, we can definitely match that price & get you taken care of!

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance!

- Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

The Boss brace fits fine - my car came from the factory with that brace on it. It appears that Ford is putting them on the convertibles, at least on the premium - a friend with a coupe MCA edition didn't get one on his car.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
I know someone selling one off of a GT500 for 50 bucks... Got to NJStangers.com and check the classified. Blackedout09 is the seller. Good guy.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Also, On our cars the chassis is so rigid that it really only stiffens it like 5 to 10 percent. you wont even feel it. On 04 and back cars they made a huge difference because the firewalls were like tin foil. The s197 chassis was greatly improved. from 79 to 04 they used the same chassis so you can only imagine what the technology was like in 79 for structural rigidity compared to 05 when the new platform arrived.
I felt a pretty big improvement after installing mine. And that was after all my suspension mods. I was quite surprised actually as I was skeptical on how much it'd really improve. For $40 I thought it was worth it
Old 08-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Did you notice any real difference, as in day to day, or is it just when you "have fun" and push it around curves?

I've talked to many people who've had them on older cars, but nobody i personally know has one on a newer model. It seems that it's a 50/50 split on whether they do anything at all, as someone above said, and all the forums are split.

I researched when this deal was going on, and overall, it seems that it's not really worth it, and i found a link to where someone took a 2011 i believe and the whole purpose was to get the best handling they could out of the car, and the upgraded everything, but there was no STB. That was an interesting read.

I thought about getting the boss one for $104, but it seems like too much. If it was $50, then i might waste my money, but i won't spend more than $50.

I know Cyclone said he's noticed a benefit, but this is my DD, so i'm curious to hear what you think about the STB.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
I felt a pretty big improvement after installing mine. And that was after all my suspension mods. I was quite surprised actually as I was skeptical on how much it'd really improve. For $40 I thought it was worth it
I'm taking you're route, as i don't see it as being a big deal, i'd rather take the money companies "charge" for them and put it towards a set of wheels or something.

I've kept my eye out but i've found nothing so far. If i find one for $50 i'll probably get one, but if not then i may just pass.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20

Did you notice any real difference, as in day to day, or is it just when you "have fun" and push it around curves?

I've talked to many people who've had them on older cars, but nobody i personally know has one on a newer model. It seems that it's a 50/50 split on whether they do anything at all, as someone above said, and all the forums are split.

I researched when this deal was going on, and overall, it seems that it's not really worth it, and i found a link to where someone took a 2011 i believe and the whole purpose was to get the best handling they could out of the car, and the upgraded everything, but there was no STB. That was an interesting read.

I thought about getting the boss one for $104, but it seems like too much. If it was $50, then i might waste my money, but i won't spend more than $50.

I know Cyclone said he's noticed a benefit, but this is my DD, so i'm curious to hear what you think about the STB.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

I'm taking you're route, as i don't see it as being a big deal, i'd rather take the money companies "charge" for them and put it towards a set of wheels or something.

I've kept my eye out but i've found nothing so far. If i find one for $50 i'll probably get one, but if not then i may just pass.
100 isn't bad for what comes on a $50,000 dollar car standard. It's on a track car for a reason. And all the ones I've seen are $150 and up. So 100 is basically a steal. Just my two cents.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My cars being built for handling and I definitely recommend a stb. Like whitelighting said $100 isn't bad at all. $150 ain't bad either though for what you get. Let's just say my girlfriend felt a difference after I put it on after all my other suspension mods. She felt a difference after the stb and she knows absolutely nothing about cars. She asked how my car stayed so flat on turns.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm not sure if it does anything at all just driving around on nice smooth roads, I'm not ever sure if it is needed at all. I'm not even sure if it does anything.

All I'm really sure of is it makes me feel like my car is stiffer and I just plain like the looks of it when I lift the hood. It has that "WOW" factor when my non mustang friends see it and mostly it was bought and put on my Mustang because I like it.
Ronnie
Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm not sure if it does anything at all just driving around on nice smooth roads, I'm not ever sure if it is needed at all. I'm not even sure if it does anything.

All I'm really sure of is it makes me feel like my car is stiffer and I just plain like the looks of it when I lift the hood. It has that "WOW" factor when my non mustang friends see it and mostly it was bought and put on my Mustang because I like it.
Ronnie
Ronnie,

It think that would sum up how i feel. I may wait to i find it on a deal like that again, and when i do i'll snatch it up. Otherwise i'm not too worried about it at the moment.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

It does help a tiny bit but only under extreme cornering. They wouldnt put them on SCCA Mustangs if they didnt work as they would add weight. For daily driving it is the wow factor under the hood. I used the Ford Racing one from my old car and got it for 40 used. Tons of good deals out there on them. Looks great Jac20. Painting it the body color would really nake it pop esp on red.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #19

Region: California
I don't know about you guys but the way I drive... Wow! Big difference. I whip my *** around in my 2012. The ford racing strut brace made my ride feel tighter n smaller. Paid 115 because I had $100 gift certificate from the dealer
Loudee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

are all strut braces created equal? has anyone tried one and was disappointed?
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Yep. It's just a bar connecting the two towers. You could have a simple piece of steel tubing, bent to clear the engine, welded between the two towers and have the same benefit. Pick the cheapest one for function up to sky-is-the-limit for looks.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

When I was at the AM show I never realized there were so many different strut bars. Some were painted up to match the Mustang it was on and some just left like they bought them. I know that it seemed like almost every car there had one on it so they must do something.

I have the Boss 302 bar on my MCA and love the Wow factor when I lift the hood to display my engine.

A strut bar was my first thing I put on my Mini John Cooper works Hatchback when I bought it. It was also my very first thing I put on My 2012 MCA Mustang.

There are also bars for under the car to beef up the sub-frames. I think they are mostly for the serious racers.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang