custom exhaust pipe install costs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
custom exhaust pipe install costs?

If i supplied a shop with mufflers and i just wanted them to do the piping, how much would i expect to pay?
thanks!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Re: custom exhaust pipe install costs?

If you are just replacing axle backs and you get the ones that are made for your year and engine they just fit Right up. If getting the X-Pipe they do have to cut your stock pipes the fit it up.(Installation will not cost much.)

But if you are getting in-expensive generic mufflers the shop will stick it to you pretty good because they will have to do a lot of measuring and pipe bending to make them fit and not rattle.( PROBABLY A VERY HIGH labor and Material charge)

If you are putting duels on an older V6 (2010) you should just look for a complete kit from AMERICAN MUSCLE or someplace that sells it. That way everything will fit good and be less hours for the shop to install.

Always remember these "WORDS of WISDOM" Mod's are not cheap !

It's up to your muffler shop what they will charge you.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you are just replacing axle backs and you get the ones that are made for your year and engine they just fit Right up. If getting the X-Pipe they do have to cut your stock pipes the fit it up.(Installation will not cost much.)

But if you are getting in-expensive generic mufflers the shop will stick it to you pretty good because they will have to do a lot of measuring and pipe bending to make them fit and not rattle.( PROBABLY A VERY HIGH labor and Material charge)

If you are putting duels on an older V6 (2010) you should just look for a complete kit from AMERICAN MUSCLE or someplace that sells it. That way everything will fit good and be less hours for the shop to install.

Always remember these "WORDS of WISDOM" Mod's are not cheap !

It's up to your muffler shop what they will charge you.
Well said. I was trying to think of how to word this myself when I read his question yesterday, but the only think I could hoestly come up with was that it really depends on the shop what the charge...my brain was fried.

On another note though, some of the kits from AM fit pretty perfectly and you don't even need to go to a shop and have them put on. All you have to do is release the clamps on the stock mufflers and put the new mufflers on. When I got my SLP tips, doing a swap with my one exhaust output was easy to do in the parking lot and didn't require taking it to the shop. But to get the x-pipe on and everything I had to take it in. I only paid $100 installation because a friend helped me out and had a lift to work with.

And hey, what's this "older" talk about the 2010 huh? It's only been a couple years!! lol!! So mean, ronnie...so mean....
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

I don't just love the new Mustangs, I love old school too!
NoisyPony2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well i was looking at stuff from AM, but there cheapest catback exhaust is over 600 dollars. so i was thinking, i would just buy the axle back exhausts (for like 120) and have a shop make the cat-back pipe (if that statement makes sense)
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
well i was looking at stuff from AM, but there cheapest catback exhaust is over 600 dollars. so i was thinking, i would just buy the axle back exhausts (for like 120) and have a shop make the cat-back pipe (if that statement makes sense)
It makes perfect sense, that's what I did. Spent about the same though after all parts though, only saved maybe $100 if that.
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I did a full custom setup on my old 04. About $700 total from the manifolds back. $200 was for hi-flow cats which I bought seperate. Then $500 for the pipes which included mid-pipe, catback with flowmaster 44 mufflers and tips. Wasn't too bad. If you want a catback I'd upgrade the mid-pipe as well and cats. I don't see a point to having a high flowing catback when you still have a restricted mid-pipe. Just my opinion though.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
I did a full custom setup on my old 04. About $700 total from the manifolds back. $200 was for hi-flow cats which I bought seperate. Then $500 for the pipes which included mid-pipe, catback with flowmaster 44 mufflers and tips. Wasn't too bad. If you want a catback I'd upgrade the mid-pipe as well and cats. I don't see a point to having a high flowing catback when you still have a restricted mid-pipe. Just my opinion though.
Hey, what brand hi-flow cats did you go with?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to buy bbk long tube headers and off road xpipe
Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyPony2010

Hey, what brand hi-flow cats did you go with?
Pypes

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
I'm going to buy bbk long tube headers and off road xpipe
I'd go borla. From vids I've heard they sound sooo much better. BBK sound like sh*t imo. Also bassani sounds badass as well and I may go with them or borla.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Pypes
Ok, thanks! And did you order them from AM or a diff place? Been thinking cats may be the next to change. Just need to double check with state refulations to be sure I'll still pass inspection.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyPony2010

Ok, thanks! And did you order them from AM or a diff place? Been thinking cats may be the next to change. Just need to double check with state refulations to be sure I'll still pass inspection.
Yeah AM. They should be good unless you live in cali then idk since I hear they're strict on that stuff.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah AM. They should be good unless you live in cali then idk since I hear they're strict on that stuff.
Nah, I'm from Cali but I live in VA. They can be funny about things here so I just want to make sure before I do it. I know people who have swapped them out but I don't know if they passed on inspection or not. We don't have emissions tests though, so that's the major difference and why I'm guessing I'd be good to go. And so far I haven't been given a noise violation ticket, so ima keep going with it >

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust