Break in period? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Break in period?

I have heard multiple opinions on a "break in" period for a new car. I got my mustang about a month ago, and have around 350 miles on it. I have been driving on highways and regular streets, never have floored it, but have done some quick passes around cars where the engine kicks in.

So what I'm asking is, am I doing the right thing? Does anyone know the exact procedure for breaking in a mustang? Or does it not really matter?

thanks
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I've heard that break in period for most cars is about 500 miles
WJL11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Break in period is heat cycles.. Driving distances and getting ur car hot.. Letting it cool.. And repeating is break in
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had thought I had read it was something like a 50 cycle average or an amount of miles. Whichever comes first... I think I read it on the Boss Forums somewhere...
Nfreeman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My rule of thumb is its not broken in until 3k miles, which is when you should do the first oil change too. The valves and everything need time to open up. 500 mile break in was what I followed for my new gears, plus differential fluid change at 500 miles as well. I wouldn't say a brand new car is broken in at 500 miles, that's not nearly enough for an entire vehicle. I'd say 1k at the very least.
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

I don't just love the new Mustangs, I love old school too!
NoisyPony2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyPony2010
My rule of thumb is its not broken in until 3k miles, which is when you should do the first oil change too. The valves and everything need time to open up. 500 mile break in was what I followed for my new gears, plus differential fluid change at 500 miles as well. I wouldn't say a brand new car is broken in at 500 miles, that's not nearly enough for an entire vehicle. I'd say 1k at the very least.
I also just bought a 2013 v6,i have about 2400 miles on it and the oil life is at 79%.should i get an oil change when it hits 3000miles or should i wait.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Change it
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
This question was asked before and a ford dealer replied and said that you don't need to worry about a break in period. If there is a break in procedure, your owners manual will explain it.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If there's no such thing as a break in period why won't the supercharger on a Shelby build boost until a certain mileage is met? Break in period..
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I don't know, that's just what he said, but I do know that for every car I've ever owned, the owners manual sescribed how to drive the car for how long during the break in period. Maybe u just don't do anything special anymore?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09

I also just bought a 2013 v6,i have about 2400 miles on it and the oil life is at 79%.should i get an oil change when it hits 3000miles or should i wait.
Change it at 3000 miles. After that first oil change it's ok to go the full 7500 if you want. Some people prefer to only go 5000 between changes but it's not a must. The new Mustangs are designed for 7500.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8
This question was asked before and a ford dealer replied and said that you don't need to worry about a break in period. If there is a break in procedure, your owners manual will explain it.
First mistake is listening to what a dealer says versus what a Ford mechanic might say lol

All I have to say us mechanics have advanced in ways where some things aren't what they used to be, but it's still an engine and it's still made up of the primary elements that any car has been built with, and those always require time to break in. Just because you buy the most comfortable and high end shoe that exists, that doesn't mean you don't still have to break them in. You want the shoe to fit to your foot and that takes time right? So why would that be any different with the new Mustangs? The parts are all new and in order for them to mesh well, you need to give things time to heat up and mold around each other right? Doesn't make sense to say there's no need for breaking in.
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Break in period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoisyPony2010 View Post
Change it at 3000 miles. After that first oil change it's ok to go the full 7500 if you want. Some people prefer to only go 5000 between changes but it's not a must. The new Mustangs are designed for 7500.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

First mistake is listening to what a dealer says versus what a Ford mechanic might say lol

All I have to say us mechanics have advanced in ways where some things aren't what they used to be, but it's still an engine and it's still made up of the primary elements that any car has been built with, and those always require time to break in. Just because you buy the most comfortable and high end shoe that exists, that doesn't mean you don't still have to break them in. You want the shoe to fit to your foot and that takes time right? So why would that be any different with the new Mustangs? The parts are all new and in order for them to mesh well, you need to give things time to heat up and mold around each other right? Doesn't make sense to say there's no need for breaking in.
Ur a mechanic? Cuzz...weve got questions!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lol it's funny how one letter threw that off, it was supposed to read "All I have to say is mechanics..." sorry, on my iPhone and I guess I have fat fingers?

But to answer your question, no I am not a mechanic. However- I'm good friends with a certified Ford mechanic who's been working for Ford for more than 15 years, and he's the one who did my gears for me. Any questions I have I'll text or call him or the senior mechanic at the dealership I take my car to so I can get legit information fast. Both have been with Ford for years and everything they've ever told me has been dead on.

I've been a Ford owner for years, and I'm not new to the 4.0L in my V6 since a 4.0 was in my previous Ford. I'm like a sponge and have learned a ton of stuff over the years, and still continue to learn even more from these guys.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL11
I've heard that break in period for most cars is about 500 miles
I am pretty sure it says 1000 in the manual. I would pull the PDF online but I'm not on my computer. It just says to very your speed and to not use cruise control essentially (97% positive).

The oil is subjective on the 1st one if u want to change at 3k or the normal 7.5. I'm at 4k and will just do the normal change interval. To each their own. I know people who do a 3k change like clockwork.

Pg 5. No extensive break in needed. Just vary your speed for first 1k. I still didn't push it until after I got close to 3k
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Push it a few times. Some high rpms during break in helps seat the rings. Driving like a granny just promotes carbon build up.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post
also, when you change it use synthetic oil, just sayin

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Push it a few times. Some high rpms during break in helps seat the rings. Driving like a granny just promotes carbon build up.
that reminds me, this granny rolled down her window and started yelling at me, in my neighborhood. I wasn't even doing anything!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

also, when you change it use synthetic oil, just sayin

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

that reminds me, this granny rolled down her window and started yelling at me, in my neighborhood. I wasn't even doing anything!
If I take it to the ford dealer will they use synthetic oil.I have a coupon from ford to get my first oil change done for free.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan

Break in? With 430 miles on the car I had it at the drag strip getting some baseline numbers for it in "as delivered" condition!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

With 9 miles on the odo, I got it up in the rpms (didn't redline it) to accelerate for the interstate

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Ive always lived by a racer rule...drive it like your gonna drive it. I start it fast, ive gunned it plenty of times, ive brought it to redline 1-3 gears. the only thing I dont do during the first 500 or so is drive it at the same speed/rpm for very long.
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

I agree with the "racer rule" too.. lol. That is what warranty is for right? Motors are run and broken in a bit at the assembly plant too and they are brought to different rpm's to be certain they will not be a problem when they are delivered.

Also, One of the best things you can do for "break in" is to put a air oil separator on it right away. I had one on my car within a 100 miles. Stop oil from building up in the intake and as a preventative for carbon build up. Within 100 miles I already saw oil in the PCV tubing on the passenger side. When I replaced the intake manifold and throttle body on my old car it was loaded with oil and only had 18,000 miles on it,. It dripped oil out of all the runners for days. I put an air oil separator on it when installing the new intake and it remained dry and clean. Best bang for the buck for keeping internals from having carbon build up.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by alludc
Ive always lived by a racer rule...drive it like your gonna drive it. I start it fast, ive gunned it plenty of times, ive brought it to redline 1-3 gears. the only thing I dont do during the first 500 or so is drive it at the same speed/rpm for very long.
I agree every car I have owned has been '' drive it like you are going to drive it'' with 4 Fords and 1 Mercury all have or had over 220k miles on them when sold and are still on the road like my 2k F150. I change oil and filter about every 3-4k miles other than that had no problems with any of them internally.
13StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I say 1500 miles for break in. I think every owner is going to have there own opinion on this so ultimately it is up to you but I think that most of us will at least agree that there is some type of break in period on any engine. As for oil changes, that is another thing manny owners do differently. I would do your first change at 3000 or so though, being a new car your oil should be relatively clean still when you do it but it's always a good idea to do the first change early. After your first change you might wait till 5000 the next time around but that is up to you.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I just change my oil at 4932 miles using Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic (full) and motorcraft filter. I waited longer than I normally do just because the dealer recommend first oil change at 5k since it is synthetic and they told me to change it after that at 7500 miles using synthetic. I will change it at 4k miles from now on unless I do a lot of hard driving or the weather is hotter than normal.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just adding my experience, break in seemed about 1-1.5 k, and my dealer told me 6k miles ish, get it done A before 7k, or B before I get my cold air induction on.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
Just adding my experience, break in seemed about 1-1.5 k, and my dealer told me 6k miles ish, get it done A before 7k, or B before I get my cold air induction on.
I think the dealers are saying higher break end mileage because of the cars having synthetic in them from the start. I am not has confident in waiting as long has they recommend on the oil change just because of it being synthetic but I did wait longer than I was comfortable with.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13StangGT

I think the dealers are saying higher break end mileage because of the cars having synthetic in them from the start. I am not has confident in waiting as long has they recommend on the oil change just because of it being synthetic but I did wait longer than I was comfortable with.
This is my first non beater car, and I have an extended warranty and know the owners of the dealership, so I do what they say and "I ain't got no worries" until my warranty with them expires...

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

This is my first non beater car, and I have an extended warranty and know the owners of the dealership, so I do what they say and "I ain't got no worries" until my warranty with them expires...
I listen to the dealer but don't always do as they say. I am that way with everything lol
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
they are ready to go from the factory, if it worries you take it easy the first bit
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #30

Region: California
Quote:
If I take it to the ford dealer will they use synthetic oil.I have a coupon from ford to get my first oil change done for free.
My dealer gave me free oil/filter changes for life on the 2013 GT 5.0 I picked up yesterday. He told me they change every 4k miles and use semi-synthetic oil and a Motorcraft filter..
'13 GT Prem 400A, Sterling Grey, Black/Charcoal, Brembo brakes, Security pkg, BU camera.
GTOdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOdude View Post
My dealer gave me free oil/filter changes for life on the 2013 GT 5.0 I picked up yesterday. He told me they change every 4k miles and use semi-synthetic oil and a Motorcraft filter..
Dang free oil change for life.what a good deal.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09

I got free wash & detail for life, just have to make a 3hr drive.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

I got free wash & detail for life, just have to make a 3hr drive.
Dang 3hrs is alil far for a free car wash.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #34

Region: California
Quote:
For sure. And that was in addition to a killer deal I got on the car. Just had to go a little out of town. The dealer here wont even tell you about incentives..
'13 GT Prem 400A, Sterling Grey, Black/Charcoal, Brembo brakes, Security pkg, BU camera.
GTOdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOdude View Post
For sure. And that was in addition to a killer deal I got on the car. Just had to go a little out of town. The dealer here wont even tell you about incentives..
I had to drive 50miles to get my car and I haven't been back since.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang