Do's and don'ts of a auto transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Do's and don'ts of a auto transmission

What will prolong the life and help it and what will kill it?
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
What will prolong the life and help it and what will kill it?
Don't rev it high in neutral and slam it into drive.
Babystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Do's and don'ts of a auto transmission

^it's called a rev drop. and if you want the most out of your transmission, i'd recommend a tuner.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
^it's called a rev drop. and if you want the most out of your transmission, i'd recommend a tuner.
Yeah figured I'd explain it rather than call it by name since not everyone knows the name. We always referred to em as neutral drops. Same stuff still always a don't .
Babystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

a shift kit would greatly increase the longevity of your trans
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I call it dumping the tranny
Saucywalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I heard that doing the 1-2-D or the 1-2-1-D hurts it also.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx
I heard that doing the 1-2-D or the 1-2-1-D hurts it also.
That's what I keep saying I've heard my entire life. I've always been told its hard on an automatic transmission to shift it like that, and it makes sense to me because it's not geared for it. I mean, you don't have a 3rd, 4th and 5th gear...so say you're driving and you shift it manually and the speed and rpm's don't match what gear you should be in, doesn't it shock the system and mess up the transmission because it has to play catchup?? Just doesn't make sense to me. I'm a bit of an older bird, so maybe it's just an old issue that doesn't exist anymore and I'm completely wrong. Not worth the risk imo though.
Mods- BBK chrome CAI, 3.7 gears, SCT #3000 tuner, SLP Loudmouth tips (dual) with x-pipe from the cats= straight-piped exhaust= one noisy pony!!

I don't just love the new Mustangs, I love old school too!
NoisyPony2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

1-2-D isn't a huge issue although there's no need to do it...now going from D-2-1...that will hurt it big time....kinda like slamming the wrong gear in a 5 speed lol
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

with the newer stangs it won't let you do that
not that i kno buy experience
Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I know that for a fact if you reverse and put it into drive and let it roll some it messes up park and your shifts. What about 3/4 throttle let off and it shifts then get back on it?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

dont throw it into park or reverse while rolling at all (see people do this when they are almost stopped all the time). dont dump the tranny. dont powerbrake your car at a light (keeping foot on brake and gas at same time to keep the rpm up and launch car). excessive heat kills a tranny. make sure the fluid is always full (sealed trannys can be difficult) and change the fluid at the 30,000 mile interval or whenever the interval is for service (the 05 -09 cars were 30,000).
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Back when I learned to drive a rev drop was called a neutral slam. I remember my first car a 1973 dodge dart swinger 318 V8 3 speed auto on the column I did quite a few revving in neutral then slamming to 1st gear lots of smoke... and after putting my second rear end in the car I stopped. The trannies in those cars were bullet proof.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
1-2-D isn't a huge issue although there's no need to do it...now going from D-2-1...that will hurt it big time....kinda like slamming the wrong gear in a 5 speed lol
I've heard that too and it makes sence. Just be carefull not to redline when going 1-2-D. Ur tranni is actually better at shifting than u are unless ur a pro, then its about the same. Guy who mentioned tuner, u have to be carefull with stock trannis, u don't want ur shift pressures to firm without the mod and a prefessional tune will set the best shift points. You can make ur shift points a LITTLE firmer if u want, it saves some gas by diminishing the time it is in the friction zone (for comfort). Do it too firm and ur hydraulics cannot keep up, creates too much stress on ur tranni and u damage it. Now, downshifting on an auto, u can hurt ur tranni coz you don't have a clutch to ease into the gear. U really need to know what speed to do it at so u don't damage ur tranni. I like to engine brake to save brakes sometimes, I am carefull not to shift to early and I have had no problems. Learn when to downshift by listening to when ur car automatically does it and then match those speeds.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

If you have the sct tuner you can stretch your shifts pertty close to your engine limits without holding it in gear manually..Mine shifts around 6200 leaving it in drive..And the good thing about the tuner you can scratch all 4 gears with line pressure without haveing a shift kits..that way it will shift normal when your not in it..But i heard that the high pressure can blow a hole in the clutch piston,that applies your clutches..They have upgrade kits to make the transmission stronger..normally they are rated about 400 horses..The kits bring up to 600 to 800 depending on what you need..I rather rebuild a auto then a manual anyday..
Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
If you have the sct tuner you can stretch your shifts pertty close to your engine limits without holding it in gear manually..Mine shifts around 6200 leaving it in drive..And the good thing about the tuner you can scratch all 4 gears with line pressure without haveing a shift kits..that way it will shift normal when your not in it..But i heard that the high pressure can blow a hole in the clutch piston,that applies your clutches..They have upgrade kits to make the transmission stronger..normally they are rated about 400 horses..The kits bring up to 600 to 800 depending on what you need..I rather rebuild a auto then a manual anyday..
Agree, what that does is it has bigger passages to allow more hydrualic fluid to get to where it needs to go so u can shift much quicker. I hear its fairly easy to install too.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Transmission is rated by torque
6r80. Means its able to handle 800 foot pins of torque

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Transmission is rated by torque
6r80. Means its able to handle 800 foot pins of torque
*pounds
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Here is what I know or knew about the 2011 auto trans in my v6. It's for the most part dependable. It's been making weird noises lately and I'm scared ****less of dropping the tranny or driveshaft. If you floor it, you better keep it to the floor and don't let out (although I let out due to not enough room) abuse I know. Don't retreat then slide it into park while still in motion. Always use the button. Your car will slide in park and the shifts will be affected. I personally use my e-brake a few notches before I put in park to minimize stress on the tranny. No matter of its flat ground or a hill. Don't manually shift it. It's not a manual. You want manual, should have bought one. This is coming from a guy who drove manual to auto. (don't think you see that too often lol) don't constant get on it. And don't float the throttle; as in don't have it 1/8 down then 1/2 for a gear then 1/4 throttle for another. Keep it consistent. Don't drive it hard when heat soaked. Do keep an eye on your fluid. I don't know how since it's a "sealed" transmission as someone has said. When resetting your fuse 47 from time to time, drive naturally not dog it out for longer gears. You'll be drivin normal 90% of the time so you don't need long gears. Shift kits in autos are bad since they can make the tires bark. We had a 70 Mach 1 with one in the auto. Horrible with 4.10's. Dont rev drop it, they make a third pedal and gear selector for that. Burnouts are bad if common. I've done 1 so far and have her a nice pat on the dash saying sorry an hour later lol. Anything I missed or is wrong info. This I learned on my own and a few tips from my father.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Does your auto take like a second to shift. Like its sluggish shifting?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Actually, the only part stressed by leaving it in park is a part called the parking pawl. It's a little sprag that catches on a gear to prevent rolling. Even if you break it, you won't mess up the tranny, it will just roll in park. I've never worried about the parking brake in an auto. Might be a good idea if you park on steep hills though. I always use it in a manual and leave my car in neutral.

Flooring it and then getting off it isn't doing anything more damaging than forcing it to shift gears more (downshift, upshift, etc). The main points are don't do neutral drops or drop it in a gear selection opposite of the way the car is moving (R to D, or D to R). Moving the shifter D-3-2-1, or 1-2-3-D won't really hurt it. The transmission is electronic controlled. It won't downshift or upshift unless it knows it can. If you're going too fast for first gear and you're telling it to downshift, it won't do it and overrev the engine. Unless you're autocrossing, just leave it in drive and mash the accelerator and let the computer shift it. It's always been faster that way except for dedicated drag transmissions in high output cars.

Thought I'd add... burnouts are harder on the differential than the transmission.

Sluggish shifting is a computer controlled trait. It's usually to make the shifts nicer and more comfortable. The only way to fix it is to use a shift kit or tune to increase line pressure.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
Lol... why rebuild an auto? They're way more complicated. Manuals have a set of helical gears and forks that switch the gears. Between those gears are the synchronizers that help them match speed and meld together.

Autos have... Accumulators, solenoids, valve bodies with multiple floating metal balls that have to be held in with vasiline or some similar grease that will melt and dissipate to hold them in place while you reinstall them. The clutch packs have to be soaks and installed in a specific order as you place them into the casings. They also have bands that act similar to clutch packs in applying force and holding gears. Automatics have way more parts and are way more complicated.

T5 Manual Transmission Rebuild Kit w/ Synchros

C4 Automatic Transmission Rebuild Kit

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Actually, the only part stressed by leaving it in park is a part called the parking pawl. It's a little sprag that catches on a gear to prevent rolling. Even if you break it, you won't mess up the tranny, it will just roll in park. I've never worried about the parking brake in an auto. Might be a good idea if you park on steep hills though. I always use it in a manual and leave my car in neutral.

Flooring it and then getting off it isn't doing anything more damaging than forcing it to shift gears more (downshift, upshift, etc). The main points are don't do neutral drops or drop it in a gear selection opposite of the way the car is moving (R to D, or D to R). Moving the shifter D-3-2-1, or 1-2-3-D won't really hurt it. The transmission is electronic controlled. It won't downshift or upshift unless it knows it can. If you're going too fast for first gear and you're telling it to downshift, it won't do it and overrev the engine. Unless you're autocrossing, just leave it in drive and mash the accelerator and let the computer shift it. It's always been faster that way except for dedicated drag transmissions in high output cars.

Thought I'd add... burnouts are harder on the differential than the transmission.

Sluggish shifting is a computer controlled trait. It's usually to make the shifts nicer and more comfortable. The only way to fix it is to use a shift kit or tune to increase line pressure.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Lol... why rebuild an auto? They're way more complicated. Manuals have a set of helical gears and forks that switch the gears. Between those gears are the synchronizers that help them match speed and meld together.

Autos have... Accumulators, solenoids, valve bodies with multiple floating metal balls that have to be held in with vasiline or some similar grease that will melt and dissipate to hold them in place while you reinstall them. The clutch packs have to be soaks and installed in a specific order as you place them into the casings. They also have bands that act similar to clutch packs in applying force and holding gears. Automatics have way more parts and are way more complicated.

So a tune will do it for the better shifts. I'm used to nice firm shifts. I like beig like being kicked like a mule.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If u start out in 1st and select 3rd the tranni will shift to 2nd then 3rd as usual but will not pass 3rd. Now, if ur in 3rd and u select 1st, the tranni will skip 2nd putting a lot of stress on ur drive train if ur going too fast
Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

PA performance makes deeper tranny pans for the 6r80. I had one for the 5r55s in my old car. IT allows for more fluid (lower operating temps) and a dipstick to check your fluid making this a non sealed unit which imo is the best part. Why they would not want you ro check and fill fluid when needed baffles me...

Cheap too. Easy install as well.

Performance Automatic 6R80 Trans-Pan Install - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
If u start out in 1st and select 3rd the tranni will shift to 2nd then 3rd as usual but will not pass 3rd. Now, if ur in 3rd and u select 1st, the tranni will skip 2nd putting a lot of stress on ur drive train if ur going too fast
If you're in third gear and floor it, the transmission with downshift to first itself to accelerate quickly. Cars skip gears all the time for downshift, they don't always move sequentially. If your car is too high rpm for first gear, even putting the shifter in 1 will not make it downshift.

All manufacturers are going to the sealed unit method. Most newer cars have no dipstick and they want you to leave it alone. It makes sense from the standpoint that it's supposed to last 100k~ miles and shouldn't leak unless you tear something up. Not that I recommend not changing fluid until 100k, but you get the idea.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you're in third gear and floor it, the transmission with downshift to first itself to accelerate quickly. Cars skip gears all the time for downshift, they don't always move sequentially. If your car is too high rpm for first gear, even putting the shifter in 1 will not make it downshift.

All manufacturers are going to the sealed unit method. Most newer cars have no dipstick and they want you to leave it alone. It makes sense from the standpoint that it's supposed to last 100k~ miles and shouldn't leak unless you tear something up. Not that I recommend not changing fluid until 100k, but you get the idea.
I can back your auto shifting skipping. Sorry for the weird wording. On my drive to my school today I noticed if I put it at 2k to shift it will go 1-2-4-6. I Can tell since the rpm drops so much more vs the sequential shifts.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya I understand that, but engine braking too hard is not good for my transmission at least, I don't know about the new ones. If that's what they are talking about is downshifting to gain speed then just let the auto tranni to it for u
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

It's just a downshift. It's no worse than downshifting to accelerate. If you're using it for engine braking, you're fine too. The shift is what does the wear, staying in a gear doesn't produce anymore wear once it's there. I used downshifting on my Malibu last winter on some steep hills that had snow all over them. Better to let the engine brake and keep traction than to hit the brakes and possibly slide.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The transmissions are pretty good in these, at least with the 2011+. That one guy who put like 600hp who threw a rod, still had his transmission going strong.
D2theJ2theC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
Forum Car Trader
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2theJ2theC
The transmissions are pretty good in these, at least with the 2011+. That one guy who put like 600hp who threw a rod, still had his transmission going strong.
My tuner at HPPracing.com has a stock trans in his 13' and it runs 9.91 stock trans...
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90GTNovi2000

My tuner at HPPracing.com has a stock trans in his 13' and it runs 9.91 stock trans...
Nice. See that's why I think these transmissions will last a long time.
D2theJ2theC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Auto Trannys since the late 90's have been pretty sturdy honestly. The worst ones came in the Fox bodies. They were horrible. The 6r80 has been tortured by many 5.0 owners at the track with high HP applications and are tough. Much tougher than the Getrag manuals. I have seen guys sell a manual GT'sl for an auto GT's and even a few tranny swaps in the last 2 years on brand new cars. That says a whole lot about the automatics.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

They come along way since the ford tourus huh lol
Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Also some idiot today at work was doing this. He has an automatic and he puts it in N to roll it back then slaps it in D to make people think he drives a manual. Is this horribly bad on a tranny as it feels like his slips into gear? I told him he was an idiot for doing such fiendish things to a camaro.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, he'll end up burning the band/clutches out of first.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Silly camaro owner

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang