Painting A Car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Painting A Car

I am interested in learning how to paint my car (DIY). Does anyone know where i can take some classes to learn? Also, would i be able to do this in my garage? I'm not talking about major paint jobs, but instead like custom stripes and etc. Any help would be appreciated

Son_of_Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: South Carolina
Some of your technical colleges offer auto body classes etc.

fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Kentucky
Re: Painting A Car

Custom stripes is major job. You're having to cover the whole car and will be blending clear into the surrounding panel to make it an even job. Might as well be painting 70% of the car.

Biggest thing is prep, prep, prep. Properly wet sanding, degreasing, and masking is 90% of a paint job. Spraying it is easy in comparison. However, even spraying in a clean garage you will have a chance to get some stuff in the paint. If you're not going to take classes, do a lot of reading on it. Get a decent spray gun, matching compressor able to keep up the SCFM needed and a moisture filter for the air line to prevent splatters from condensation in the compressor air.

Anything is possible with a bit of effort. This rockers I sprayed with rattle can. Original color was black.

'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang