Going into gear problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Going into gear problems

My one with a stick shift '12 having problems going into gear. Every now and again when I go to shift my car will not go into gear. Before you make any crazy remarks yes I'm pressing the clutch. It has happened going into first from a dead stop and sometimes shifting into 3rd or 4th. I remember reading something about it being a problem on them but don't know where or anything....help?

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Anyone with a manual*
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Going into gear problems

Try leaving it in neutral and pumping the clutch 5 times or so. The system is self bleeding, so it might have an effect.

I've been kept from going into 3rd a number of times, maybe 5 or 6. It comes and goes so sporadic that I can't really narrow down what's causing it or if it's me hitting the shift gate. I've had it pop out of reverse once and 1st a couple of times, but they were about a thousand miles ago. I got locked out of first once. Did an old trick that worked on my Stratus: put in neutral, let of clutch, push clutch, put in 2nd, then shift back to 1st.

Any issues with grinding or popping out of gears? I think those are the true signs of issues. Honestly, first thing I would do is get a shifter bracket. It might be the bracket, if stock, has finally worn just enough to allow slop in the shifter arm and not hit the gates exactly.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Try leaving it in neutral and pumping the clutch 5 times or so. The system is self bleeding, so it might have an effect.

I've been kept from going into 3rd a number of times, maybe 5 or 6. It comes and goes so sporadic that I can't really narrow down what's causing it or if it's me hitting the shift gate. I've had it pop out of reverse once and 1st a couple of times, but they were about a thousand miles ago. I got locked out of first once. Did an old trick that worked on my Stratus: put in neutral, let of clutch, push clutch, put in 2nd, then shift back to 1st.

Any issues with grinding or popping out of gears? I think those are the true signs of issues. Honestly, first thing I would do is get a shifter bracket. It might be the bracket, if stock, has finally worn just enough to allow slop in the shifter arm and not hit the gates exactly.
Yeah a few times going into first and reverse the gears have grinded and popped out. Both times I was boggled because I knew I was in gear. And I think 2xs shifting to 3rd its happened. I've tried to pinpoint it too but it is so sporadic I can't diagnose it. Wtf. I only have 5000 miles on her. I'm coming up on my 6 month "check up" for warranty. But since I'm in Germany im not very trusting of the mechanic I would like to have an idea about what's going on first. Yesterday I was at a stop light and went to go to first an it would not go I tried a few times and did like you said above put it in second then down shifted into first and it worked. But it's concerning.
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Pretty common problem with the manual MT82. Just type in Mustang MT82 Getrag into your search engine and you will see thousands of complaints. I purchased a new aftermarket mount for the shifter as Sanguin said. Barton. Fairly easy install. Makes a world of difference. They make an aftermarket shifter too that gets great reviews too as well as MGW but they are short throw shifters and might not be what you like. That and they are expensive. Others make a bracket too. Steeda, Joe Heck Racing. They all look like the older version of the Barton bracket. I have the older one and got it for $65 shipped. The new one is a better design but I did not see the need for it. It is 109. Lots of people have the old one and say it is great. I got mine at the time the new one was about to hit the market and found good deals on the old design.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Oh ya... FYI. The Getrag is a German designed transmission that is made in China...

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Haha sorry also, Just noticed your stripes. They are cool as all get out!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

For the record, I have half the miles of yours (hair from 2500miles now). With yours being a '12 it might not have the newer fluid in it they've been switching to. You can try talking to the dealer about it, but if it was me wanting to do something myself, I'd invest in a shifter bracket.

I've found with dealers/mechanics that if I know what might be the problem, I thoroughly have them note it and take a look at my ideas/solutions first. I'm a pretty good mechanic myself, sadly I think I know more than 3/4 of the guys out there working on cars.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ive got just over 3000 miles, about 5 times already i went from neutral to first or neutral to reverse and i could not get it into gear until the third try. It has never popped out or grinded though. Once my warranty up i will get a barton shift kit immediately.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #7

Region: Ohio

hi im having the same problems with my 98 gt with a full 03 mach1 swap its grinding extremely loud and will pop out of first was doing it in third now its doing it in 1st an 5th PLEASE HELP this is my only car/daily it started doing it more when i tightened up a bolt on my short throw shifter but i dont think that has anything to do with it
sleeperstang98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Your problems are nothing related to ours, different setup. However, what bolt did you tighten? The shifter stop?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'd definitely recommend a shifting bracket. That greatly tightens up the shifting and takes away the sloppy feel and missed gears
Stacks Warmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: New York
You hear more issues about the tranny than any other part on the car... Wonder if the tranny being built in China has anything to do with it?

I've had very little problems with mine but, when I do have an issue its because the clutch is not pushed all the way in. I've found as long as the clutch is pressed to the floor I have no issues whatsoever.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

One guy, who actually took his apart, said the shift forks are crap. They're really cheap sheet metal and bend easy. I think it has nothing to do with being from China. Chinese now have good steel and can turn out some good stuff. It's just corner cutting from Ford I think.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang