Getting ready for winter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Getting ready for winter

Well sadly winter is fat approaching here and since I have only summer tires and I do plan on keeping Roxie tucked away safely for the winter I need some help in making sure I do this properly. I have found a covered storage place to keep her out of the elements but what else needs to be done, tires, batteries, fuel level....bla bla bla....? Done some research online but a lot of different things....what's the best?
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Getting ready for winter

Winter Ash??? Where the heck do you live?? It's 112f where I live in Vegas

I'm not sure about the winterizing, but somebody will chime in.

Do we get to see Roxies stripes before u put her to sleep?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog
Winter Ash??? Where the heck do you live?? It's 112f where I live in Vegas

I'm not sure about the winterizing, but somebody will chime in.

Do we get to see Roxies stripes before u put her to sleep?
Germany beginning of October is usually the date when it's mandatory to have winter or all season tires on your car and I'll be on a mission all of September so I only have a few weeks left to drive her and yeah I posted some up but here ya go!! I'll take any chance to show her off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2245929684.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	63118   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2735200091.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	637.4 KB
ID:	63119  

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Battery tender. Change the oil before you put her away. Check all the fluids and top her off. If you can raise her a little off the ground it will protect the tires from flat spotting. If you plan on taking her for a ride when it is nice out then dont worry about the tires flat spotting. Wax and wash her before you put the cover on. If possible start her at least once a week and let her run for 10 min to keep the top of the engine lubricated. Fill her with good gas. Put Stabil fuel additive in the gas and run it for 15 minutes to ensure it has gotten through the gas lines. If where you are storing has rodents stick some steel wool into the ends of the exhaust pipes. They dont like steel wool. Cant chew it. It will keep them out of your exhaust. Put a note on the steering wheel that reminds you to take the steel wool out before you start her lol.. Also fill the tires up with the right air. In the spring unhook the battery tender and fill the tires again if needed, remove the battery tender and you will be good to go. The stripes kick *** by the way. Nice job!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well put pwrdby4d....i was going to type the exact same things my car cover is custom fit so it snugly goes over the exhaust pipes too..should i still use the steel wool?

I hear to use vaseline on all the weatherstripping especially around the door...prevents sticking and cracking
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

pwrby4d pretty much covered it. Some of the most important parts are filling it all the way up with fuel and using stabilizer. It will keep rust from forming anywhere in the tank and the stabil will prevent the fuel from breaking down. I'd also consider over-inflating the tires slightly if you're going to let it sit on them.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

The stripes look really good
Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That is one sexy car ash. I really like those stripes. I also like how you went all the way down on the chin spoiler. Makes your car look mean but cute at the same time lol.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
pwrby4d pretty much covered it. Some of the most important parts are filling it all the way up with fuel and using stabilizer. It will keep rust from forming anywhere in the tank and the stabil will prevent the fuel from breaking down. I'd also consider over-inflating the tires slightly if you're going to let it sit on them.
Thanks Sanguin . FYI the tanks in our cars are plastic too. been that way since 2010. Stabilizer will keep the gas good and air is the culprit that makes fuel go bad so you want to fill her up. SAnguin has a great point about slightly overfilling the tires too. Cold air will make them lose pressure quicker.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
That is one sexy car ash. I really like those stripes. I also like how you went all the way down on the chin spoiler. Makes your car look mean but cute at the same time lol.
Thanks guys! And you got it mean but cute! Haha I'm going for the raxiom halo head lights next too. Think thatll finish the front end. I have some hood pins from AM also, can't decide if I want to put this on or if it'll just look tacky.

And thanks for all the tips! How would I elevate my car a little? Cinder blocks? I am worried about flat spots in the tires...
Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I live in the northeast where we get snow. I don't have a garage. I'm planning on getting a cover. anyone know a cheap site to get one?

Also, what about that rubberized spray to protect against rust and such? spray it under the wheel well. anyone use any of that stuff?

..just tryin to protect my baby (that hasn't even come in yet..lol). scheduled for build in 1 month...just in time for fall/winter
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang