Anyone with a non-premium mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Alexcarlo12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 14
Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

My mustang v6 none stock without any of the options, no leather no ambient lighting none of that good stuff
So I noticed that the plastic side mirrors get chipped. They are black plastic side mirrors and have white spots all over I was guessing that it was just dirty but I can feel that theyre scratched.
Question is if this is normal? Or known to happen? I'm getting covers for the side mirrors but until then it just looks ugly.
Another question is the interior
What's the best way to keep this plastic clean and fresh?
Alexcarlo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
emery2483's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 367
what I do is usually just take a spray bottle with water or water with like a tiny drop of dish soap and spray a cloth lightly and just wipe down all the plastic with everything! then take some q-tips and go through places the rag couldn't reach. my dad showed me this and he has been working for car companies since he was 10! he has always told me to stay away from the armor all wipes and those brands because the plastics will look worse in the long run because of the chemicals!
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Alexcarlo12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483
what I do is usually just take a spray bottle with water or water with like a tiny drop of dish soap and spray a cloth lightly and just wipe down all the plastic with everything! then take some q-tips and go through places the rag couldn't reach. my dad showed me this and he has been working for car companies since he was 10! he has always told me to stay away from the armor all wipes and those brands because the plastics will look worse in the long run because of the chemicals!
Hmm I actually did hear about water and a little bit of dish soap I'm going to try that in the morning haha
Alexcarlo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 704
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

I havent touched my interior with anything but a damp rag, want to keep the new car smell. Once its not so fresh i use onlh meguiars products like on my other cars. Interior cleaner is just alcohol based spray, then the ultimate protectant for a semi shine and protected finish. Stay away from anything armor all.

As for premium, i bought my stang new so that i could have all the options the way i wanted. But you pay a premium for premium....i think its worth it, i love sync and ambient lighting and leather, but really those are pluses, the true fun of the car is going through the gears and enjoying the new engine....base or fully loaded we can all enjoy that!

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

I also hear dish soap and water works better than windex on windows. Ill try that soon
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

Stig, I too have only used a damp rag. lol same reason.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
emery2483's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 367
don't use to much tho! it will leave it all soapy, but if you do, just spray plain water on it and you'll be fine!
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
cheelyb09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,262
I just bought a base 2013 v6 3 months ago.i wipe the inside dash with armor all protection wipes.why do you say not to use armor all.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 704
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post
I just bought a base 2013 v6 3 months ago.i wipe the inside dash with armor all protection wipes.why do you say not to use armor all.
I used to use it on my 99 QX4, it makes the finish all greasy, has a bad smell, and seemed to attract dust way quicker...they want you to use more of their product to get that "Shine" when really a greasy dashboard looks hideous. I used it when I didnt know much about detailing and ever since I started using meguiars products there is a major difference.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
05MUSTANG4.0L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcarlo12
My mustang v6 none stock without any of the options, no leather no ambient lighting none of that good stuff
So I noticed that the plastic side mirrors get chipped. They are black plastic side mirrors and have white spots all over I was guessing that it was just dirty but I can feel that theyre scratched.
Question is if this is normal? Or known to happen? I'm getting covers for the side mirrors but until then it just looks ugly.
Another question is the interior
What's the best way to keep this plastic clean and fresh?
Definitely start with window tint, u don't want the sun cracking up your dash board...i have the same mustang without any options at all and my inside looks brand new even after 7 years after its birth.
And for your black side mirrors I suggest plasti dip $5.99 @ home depot or lowes
05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
emery2483's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

I used to use it on my 99 QX4, it makes the finish all greasy, has a bad smell, and seemed to attract dust way quicker...they want you to use more of their product to get that "Shine" when really a greasy dashboard looks hideous. I used it when I didnt know much about detailing and ever since I started using meguiars products there is a major difference.
and because the chemicals will start to actually fade the interior because they will want more and more to keep it shiny.. just not good
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
moto113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: California
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09
I just bought a base 2013 v6 3 months ago.i wipe the inside dash with armor all protection wipes.why do you say not to use armor all.
I wouldn't do that, destroys your interior in the long run...learned from experience with my mercadez =\
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483

and because the chemicals will start to actually fade the interior because they will want more and more to keep it shiny.. just not good
So how do you clean it? Just wipe it. I used armor all. It took the grey almost off near my cup holder. Looks like **** tbh. Is it just that brand of the wipes in general
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

Use meguiars or mothers if you can't get better products. This applies for everything car care, interior and exterior. That said, just clean with a damp rag unless you need to clean a stain. Top with meguiars or something with uv protestant for the dash. Using soap will remove any oils in the surface and dry it out. Not good in the long run. If you're just dusting, use a dry microfiber towel. Couldn't be any easier.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
I use meguiars for my leather an I use the protectant ( non shiny) wipes for the plastics in the interior. I did the chrome rings with it and come back with a swifter buster to make it spotless and to clean the gauges. It's better than armor all which we have used for years.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
JAC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I use meguiars for my leather an I use the protectant ( non shiny) wipes for the plastics in the interior. I did the chrome rings with it and come back with a swifter buster to make it spotless and to clean the gauges. It's better than armor all which we have used for years.
I just picked up the meguiars wipes but I haven't used them yet. I haven't had any bad experiences with using armor all products and IMO i would think competitors products would have similar problems as well but I can't say from experience. I will say when I am out of the one I will probably switch to meguiars bc there isn't as many complaints and to just try something different. I used armor all on mr civic and it still looked as good as new and I bought it new and had it over 7 years.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
cheelyb09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

I used to use it on my 99 QX4, it makes the finish all greasy, has a bad smell, and seemed to attract dust way quicker...they want you to use more of their product to get that "Shine" when really a greasy dashboard looks hideous. I used it when I didnt know much about detailing and ever since I started using meguiars products there is a major difference.
I'm going to have to switch to them then.thanks.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

i have tinted windows, so just to be safe, i only use water while wiping down my interior. exterior wise, i go hard in the paint. not really, i use soap and water. i'm extra carefull with my wheels tho, cuz they're painted. and I also go easy on the stripes. so that i don't pull up any corners
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
i have tinted windows, so just to be safe, i only use water while wiping down my interior. exterior wise, i go hard in the paint. not really, i use soap and water. i'm extra carefull with my wheels tho, cuz they're painted. and I also go easy on the stripes. so that i don't pull up any corners
The boss stripes are a pita!!! +1
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

but the pain in the *** is sooooo worth it, cuz they look ba!
you beat me to it! i'm gonna paint my roof matte black! but i have a different idea on what ima do with the hood
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
but the pain in the *** is sooooo worth it, cuz they look ba!
you beat me to it! i'm gonna paint my roof matte black! but i have a different idea on what ima do with the hood
Mines the 69 boss. It's what I like. The 2012 just looks too little was done. Kinda like a mini me stripe. Warning! The black will draw heat!!
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Mines the 69 boss. It's what I like. The 2012 just looks too little was done. Kinda like a mini me stripe. Warning! The black will draw heat!!
By heat you mean compliments right ;p
Lol


Hp much heat?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Oh everyday. Half my university thinks I drink a v8, boss 302, and a manual. They just assume since the mock up. Then when I enlighten them they call it a woman's car. Funny, it's faster than their moms mini van and dads Honda. The paint job give it at least 50 hp. Or at least you'll think that lol
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
Oh everyday. Half my university thinks I drink a v8, boss 302, and a manual. They just assume since the mock up. Then when I enlighten them they call it a woman's car. Funny, it's faster than their moms mini van and dads Honda. The paint job give it at least 50 hp. Or at least you'll think that lol
And the plasti dipped wheels allow for less air resistance, making he car accelerate 1.3x faster
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
If only it were red, I'd name it the red rocket. But since it is white and quick I call it whitelightning. Being down south, they refer to it also as illegal beverages of the hillbilly variety. I think the textured plasti dip create drag lol
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
If only it were red, I'd name it the red rocket. But since it is white and quick I call it whitelightning. Being down south, they refer to it also as illegal beverages of the hillbilly variety. I think the textured plasti dip create drag lol
Don't want the ricers to c that :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
I have American muscle advertised on my windshield and when I roll the roar of my fully stock exhausted v6 it strikes the fear into the hearts of men, women, and children alike. I think we just jacked this thread. Woops
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
geepoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, New York
Region: New York
Posts: 223
Whitelightning what kind of deck lid do u have ?
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

Note to self: Check on mustang evolution before spending two f*cking hours wiping car down with armor all!
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons
Whitelightning what kind of deck lid do u have ?
I had it custom painted along with my roof and hood stripe. Lid, spoiler, and deck lid between the tail light is painted gloss black w/clear
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

Dash carpet here:



It keeps the sun off the dash=no fading in the Florida sum

It also keeps my dog Mario from scratching the dash.



It also looks nice and is easy to just vacume when it gets dirty and full of Mario hair.



Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Dash carpet here:

It keeps the sun off the dash=no fading in the Florida sum

It also keeps my dog Mario from scratching the dash.

It also looks nice and is easy to just vacume when it gets dirty and full of Mario hair.

Ronnie
Just curious, where did you get the patch to cover the yellow warning sticker?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
Re: Anyone with a non-premium mustang?

The stickers are of perfect quality and the cost was ridiculous for the shipping but to me "Worth every single dollar. I hated those ugly yellow warning things on my visors.

They came from Bob White Ford.
Ford Mustang Decals, Mustang Decals at www.bobwhitedecals.com - Ford Licensed and Official Steeda Autosports Supplier



If you get them just be careful putting them on. they fit exactly over the yellow warning labels and if you do get a little yellow showing just touch it up with a marker.
Ronnie

I think I paid around 26 dollars for them with the postage. Believe me when I say I would have paid more. That is how much I hated looking at them goofy looking stupid yellow warning labels on the visors.

It was the first things I did to my last two cars (Covering up those stupid labels.
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #33
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto113

I wouldn't do that, destroys your interior in the long run...learned from experience with my mercadez =\
Armor-All stinks literally and figuratively! The only thing I use on cars newer than 2 years is lexol leather cleaner and conditioner. I have switched my conditioner to VOODO!<-spelled that way from Surf City Garage. But I haven't used it long enough to fully recommend it.

For dressing areas that need to be dressed like in the engine, I use SprayWay instant shine because it doesn't have thousands of additives that leave you wanting to soak your on hands in a bucket of degreaser. I also use Perma shine to re-dye plastic trim.

Plain water works the best on everything that isn't heavily soiled.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:07 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.